behavior mod

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

paulawylma

behavior mod

Post by paulawylma » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:38 am

Reinhard mentions in his podcast that No S is different from other diets because it requires neither counting nor avoiding one particular food. I've wondered if Reinhard and the forum members are familiar with behavior modification diets. I think No S falls into this category only its much simplier than the basic behavior mod diet.

Behavior Mod was popular in the 70s when I was in college for the first time, my college had a program that was run by psychology dept. (behavior mod being a psychological techique). Anyway, the reason why they didn't work in the long term was because they were too complicated (remember the psychologists :D ) and had too many rules. Behavior Mod was about correcting habits, but you had to keep a food journal and were supposed to change every bad habit, like eating while performing another task (watching TV, reading, or even eating popcorn at the movies).

The reason I bring it up now is that I found the book that they used in the behavior mod program at my college in a used bookstore recently. If anyone is interested, it was "Permanent Weight Control: A Total Solution to the Dieter's Dilemma" by Michael J. Mahoney, Ph.d., and Katheryn Mahoney, MSW, MS.

It occured to me that the Behavior Mod might actually had worked with I had simply ditched the journal and some of the rules. I was looking over it and think the sections on changing your environment might be useful to me. At lot of information that is still relevant today--the biggest problem is that they want the dieter to "collect data" before making any changes. :D

No S is so much easlier!

Clarica

Re: behavior mod

Post by Clarica » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:25 pm

thanks for posting, sounds like an interesting book! Maybe they started with observation, because they didn't have as much snacking to eliminate back then! :)