Taking the Plunge

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

ironsickel

Taking the Plunge

Post by ironsickel » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:13 pm

Greetings!

I've been researching/perusing the No-S Diet for about a year but finally steeled myself to take the plunge.

I started on July 3 (figured I would give myself a nice holiday weekend of S-days to gear myself up for it).

I've been obese my entire life (was identified as obese in kindergarten) and have never been able to shake off the weight. I've tried just about every diet out there and have never been able to stick with them very long.

When I started I was just a shade over 300 pounds. I'm 6'2" but have quite a bit to lose. We'll see how it goes. All the other diets I've tried usually stall around the 275-280LB mark so that must be some sort of natural plateau I'll have to work around.

One week in and I can't believe how much I'm enjoying it. It's not nearly as hard as I thought it was going to be, although evenings tend to be harder for me. I would pack on thousands of calories every night after work.

Struggled a bit over my first official S-weekend, and I think I may modify my allowances on S-Days as I seem to have an alcoholics relationship with sweet foods. I can either have none or ALL OF THEM! NOM NOM NOM!!

Anyway, wish me luck. I intend to post monthly checkins to see how it goes.

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:26 pm

Welcome to No S & the Boards and congrats on taking the plunge! :D It really is an enjoyable -- and sane -- way to live. 8) I look forward to hearing about your progress. :wink:
Restarted No S (3rd times a charm!) January 2010 at 145 lbs

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:05 pm

Welcome and good luck!

I think you may be surprised at how no-s changes your relationship to sweets. Though of course you're always welcome to make whatever modifications you see fit, I'd recommend giving vanilla a good solid try first. You might be surprised.

Reinhard

July2010

Post by July2010 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:40 pm

Today is day 11 for me. I've always been on the chubby side most of my 34 years and the last 6-7 years I've been about 50 pds overweight. The very first week on this plan, I knew it was the one for me. It's very different than any other diet I've tried and it's working and it's not that hard to do! Love it! Weightloss for me seems to be 2 pds a week right now. Feel free to message me anytime.
AutismMom

ironsickel

Post by ironsickel » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:18 pm

July2010 wrote:Today is day 11 for me. I've always been on the chubby side most of my 34 years and the last 6-7 years I've been about 50 pds overweight. The very first week on this plan, I knew it was the one for me. It's very different than any other diet I've tried and it's working and it's not that hard to do! Love it! Weightloss for me seems to be 2 pds a week right now. Feel free to message me anytime.
Today is day 20 for me. I have about 100 to lose. Maybe more. But i'll worry about the specifics when i get down there. I've been losing about 5 pounds a week so far but I have to think that's just beginner's luck.

It is incredibly easy to do and I'm seldomly hungry. It's great.

I've committed myself to complete adherence to the diet for six months. I'll reevaluate at that time. Also planning on doing monthly status updates.

July2010

Post by July2010 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:53 pm

I just tell myself one day at a time. I can only focus on what I will do today and that seems to help me. And also the next 6 months will pass whether we're doing anything or not, so why not do something about our weight. 5 pounds a week is awesome! The more you weigh, the faster you'll most likely lose. Keep up the good work! I notice that since I started to exercise, I am losing faster! I just do 20 min right now because it's all I can handle and I've lost 2 pds so far this week and it's not over yet. Last week it took 7 days to lose 2 pds. This week I'm only on day 4 and another 2 pds are already off and I know it's because I'm moving more and not letting myself sit at the computer as much.
AutismMom

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:36 pm

Welcome, ironsickel,

Not a bad way to live! I'm partial to doing the least possible to make changes and get tough later.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)