Change in food tolerance

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

kassabma

Change in food tolerance

Post by kassabma » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:37 am

Hi again everyone! I recently had a unique eating experience, and I am wondering if this is something others have experienced. Prior to being a no-ser, I could take down sweets like no other. Now all the sudden on my S days, I feel really quite ill while attempting to even eat a little bit of something sweet and decadent. I honestly thought if I ate more, I was going to be sick. My tummy wasn't feeling so hot after eating some of this lovely decadent and rich peanut butter pie while we were out to eat. Sweets have NEVER given me a tummy ache before, no matter how rich and lovely and sweet! What gives?

I am finding that more and more, the sweets are just not that enticing any more - no matter how much I look forward to them. When I get to an S day and eat it, I'm like - okay... not as good as I remember this being!

Not that I am complaining... because it makes it easier to not overeat or overindulge. I just think it's odd that I could easily inhale a piece of peanut butter pie (and then some) and now, it was like choking it down because dang it, it was an S day and I was gonna make use of it! Ha ha!!

Have my tastebuds changed? Is my body just being "normal" for once and this is how "normal" people view sweets? Perhaps my body just is getting healthy for once and knows what's best for it??

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:47 am

My experience is that I cannot tolerate as much in sweets as I did previously, and I think that has to do with limiting sweets to S Days. On one S Day, I had about 4,000 calories of caramel macademian clusters. Now, I don't have much on my S Day. I tend to have the individual size of coffee ice cream from Haagen Dazs.
Kathleen

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:25 pm

I still like sweets, but my tastes for them have definitely changed. Now a lot of American desserts and candies taste like "pure sugar" to me, and just aren't interesting or enjoyable. I like more complex/subtle flavors, and my desserts have less sugar in them than they used to.

And yes, my physical tolerance has also dropped significantly. I haven't drunk soda for a decade now, and recently had the equivalent of a can of strawberry fanta (there was nothing else but soda, so I was sharing a larger drink with a family member). Thought I'd go into a diabetic coma! I was SO nauseated. It was like I remember glucose testing, when you had to drink that sugar concoction.... In fairness, some of that particular incident might have been the heat. (We were at Six Flags in July.) But in general, yes, I have very much noticed a lessened tolerance for "pure sugar."

On the other hand, without the constant barrage of sugar on my taste buds, I appreciate the range of other flavors in food, and the sweetness in fruit. Though I eat less than I used to, I'm enjoying food more than I ever have before in my life!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:58 pm

Kathleen wrote:I tend to have the individual size of coffee ice cream from Haagen Dazs.
Kathleen
I love those individual sized Haagen Dazs! Coffee is also a favorite of mine. Ben and Jerry's have some, too. They make a great treat!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."