Treadmills

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

July2010

Treadmills

Post by July2010 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:17 am

Do you own one? My mom is lending me her since she isn't using it and so I'm excited to have it in my home where I can get alot of use out of it. I plan to walk all day long with a few breaks. Hoping I can burn alot of calories with it.
AutismMom

Starla

Post by Starla » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:39 pm

I have my own treadmill, and I'm very happy to have it. I DO find that it works best as part of an exercise program that includes other things.

What I like about having my own treadmill:

1) I had to start out very slowly - five minutes, and I would have been too embarrassed to do that at a gym.
2) It's good for inclement weather.
3) I can wear the same sweaty clothes more than one day.
4) I can control the difficulty of the workout.
5) There's no "extra" time, for example, driving time to a gym.

On the down side, I find walking outside to be much more of a stress reliever. I look forward to walking outside, and I come home feeling happy after a nice walk. When I'm on a treadmill, I'm just happy the workout's over.

If you're ever interested in buying a treadmill, I highly recommend this site:

http://www.treadmilldoctor.com/

They review exercise equipment. I've bought two treadmills in my life, and I sure wish I'd read the reviews before I bought the first one.

July2010

Post by July2010 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:18 pm

Thanks! It does take alot to burn on the treadmill. If I do level 2, it takes 30 min to burn just 100 calories. Level 3 takes 20 min to burn 100 calories. Sometimes a little more than 100 calories. I feel like I'm burning alot more than that though, but that's what the treadmill says. And yeah I can't wait sometimes to get off it. I know why alot of people stop using it. It's easy to feel a bit bored. I put my moms one right near the door so I can look outside as I walk and I can put on the tv to help get my mind off of walking. I don't plan to stop anytime soon. It's alot of work, but rather lose some calories walking and watching tv, than to sit and waste time and gain back what I've lost already. I'm going to try today to get my weights and do a few arm exercises while I walk. I only started to use this treadmill a couple days ago and so still getting used to it all.
AutismMom