quick question: how to record S events

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Cassie

quick question: how to record S events

Post by Cassie » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:37 pm

HI, just a quick question. Following my other thread (see in the general NoS discussion) about making mods in order to push myself into weight loss, I'm trying to figure out how the mods I've decided on will work. Mainly I wonder how my 2 'S' events (floating S events during the week) can be recorded on the HabitCal? Particularly since they can be saved & I need to keep track. Do those of you who have floating S events just record them somewhere else altogether & keep it green on the HabitCal? Or do you have a way of recording them on HabitCal that I haven't quite figured out yet?
Restarting NoS (after going back & forth over the last 4 years) in November 2013.

GOAL: to lose 10 kilos.
HAVE ACHIEVED SO FAR: 1.6 kilo

kwidener7

Post by kwidener7 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:46 pm

I just mark that day as yellow if I have one treat (sweet). If I were to have more than one, I would probably mark it red (haven't gotten there yet). I would also mark a day red if it went beyond my weekly allowance of sweets. If I haven't had any, then it's a green day.

It's easy for me to have an 'S' just once in a day since I mainly prefer real food and not sweet stuff anymore. Plus then I can easily look at my habitcal and know how many I have left for the week (I'm starting with 4 to not feel too deprived. I may take all 4 a week or I may take less, but I cannot bank them. So I can't have just 2 a week and then take 6 the next week.) and can plan when or if I want to take one of my floating 'S' events.

P.S. I'm also trying intermittent fasting in the process. It's an interesting journey, after only 2 20+ hour fasts, so far and I'm very intrigued by the whole process.

If you're looking for just weight loss, I would caution against IF since it also seems to be a very emotional/spiritual process. If you're not ready to deal with your emotions it could send you into a bout of emotional eating just to quell the surge of feelings. At least that has been my experience thus far, but I have the habit of No S firmly planted to keep me on track, have been actively working with a therapist (not so much for food issues, other ones), and I'm losing more of my emotional attachments to food.

Cassie

Post by Cassie » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:29 am

Thanks for this Kwidener. Makes sense. For the moment I'm just trying to get my head around how I want to do things. I'm not sure I actually should have floating S events (I might or I might not) as it feels slightly too confusing for me. If I do though I'll record in the way you suggest!
Restarting NoS (after going back & forth over the last 4 years) in November 2013.

GOAL: to lose 10 kilos.
HAVE ACHIEVED SO FAR: 1.6 kilo

Graham

Post by Graham » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:31 pm

kwidener7 wrote:If you're looking for just weight loss, I would caution against IF since it also seems to be a very emotional/spiritual process. If you're not ready to deal with your emotions it could send you into a bout of emotional eating just to quell the surge of feelings. At least that has been my experience thus far, but I have the habit of No S firmly planted to keep me on track, have been actively working with a therapist (not so much for food issues, other ones), and I'm losing more of my emotional attachments to food.
Basing judgement on just 2 fasts is perhaps a bit hasty. I remember when I first started No S, that in itself was an emotional journey for me, as it interfered with my emotional attachment to food, and the degree of calm I gained through No S made fasting easy and nothing like the traumatic journey suggested above. It may be an emotional journey for some people but there are plenty on this board practising IF without these sort of issues being a problem.

kwidener7

Post by kwidener7 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:57 pm

I agree that 2 fasts may be hasty as far as whether IF is good or bad, but it does not mean that I did not experience huge emotions as a result of 2 fasts and that it might not be an issue for others. I simply wanted to convey my feelings and experience since I know so many of us here are emotional eaters. And I wanted to warn and caution others that may think IF is a quick and easy fix for fat loss. I would hate to see someone try this and give up, or even worse fail and lose track of their No S habits, because the first couple of fasts allowed them to experience things that food might have been helping them avoid.

I started my IF journey for many reasons, one of which was fat loss. I was stalled with vanilla No S and it wasn't fitting my needs. That is why I went to the floating S events and IF. Both have done wonders for me. I'm not stuffing myself with sweets on the weekends to try and prevent wanting them like a crack addict during the week and having it fail anyway. And IF has seemed to reset my hunger/satiety clues just like No S did in the beginning.

Today, I am on my 4th 24 hour fast and I feel fantastic. I'm not anywhere near as hungry as I was in the second one and I was actually feeling like I needed a fast so bad. Like it was time for one again. I certainly know that I would have never been able to try IF before I did No S. No S got me used to going longer between meals. IF just allows me to extend that longer. I'm also not sure I would have been properly equipped to handle the emotional onslaught of emotions that comes with the initial fasts if I wasn't in therapy and I know I'm not alone. This community is full of former/current emotional eaters.

kwidener7

Post by kwidener7 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:02 pm

Oh and Cassie, glad I could help even if you don't use it now or ever! :D

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:56 pm

I have a pocket calender and when I have an S event (I take 3 a week), I just write down what I had. It's pretty simple :)