Wouldja tell me to stop trying other diets!!?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

FarmerHal

Wouldja tell me to stop trying other diets!!?

Post by FarmerHal » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:31 pm

I am back, again, for the umpteenth time!

I just tried doing the "paleo" diet, which is no grains, dairy or sweets. I'm ok with the no wheat, as I'm intolerant, and dairy tears me up, but I can do goat's milk/cheese.
Who doesn't want some noodles now and then? or a dessert on a special day?

I was restricting myself so much that I would basically give up and go on binges for days.

I had gotten down to 206 on noS before, and back up to 231. After 2 days on noS, down to 228. It is SO embarrassing writing that down. A girl should NOT weigh that much!

SO anyway, see how I keep returning to the sanity and safety of noS? One would think I'd learn by now!

Today's b'fast was a bit large, but still, all on one plate. :)
Goign to keep it up!

Plus I have a new puppy who needs lots of exercise so we get a good mile or two walk every day :)

Glad to see everyone... again!! This time I have the page on a bookmark right on my browser so I have easy access to the boards!
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:19 pm

Don't feel embarrassed or ashamed for starting over shamrockmommy! Instead be proud of yourself for realizing that diets just don't work and for coming back to NoS and its sanity. I have been in the same situation - trying to find that "miracle diet" out there, over and over. In reality I have already found it - NoS is that miracle for me. I have had to start over many times, but that's okay. I have come to look at it as not really starting over, but continuing my journey even though there were a few little "side trips" along the way. When things are going well, I try not to get overconfident because I've seen what can happen. These days I am after progress - that's all - not perfection. I have had to fall back on the infamous "Mark it and move on" mantra many times, but that's what I do. A red day? Several red days? Fine, I just mark them and then forget about them!
I read Geneen Roth's newest book, Women, Food, and God, (after seeing it on Oprah) and even though I could never quite get intuitive eating to work for me in the past at all, I did like what she had to say about dealing with feelings and emotions. I gained some new insights from her writing that I can incorporate with NoS.
So, Tiffany, just keep at it and be very gentle and forgiving of yourself.

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

kassabma

Post by kassabma » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:12 pm

Well welcome back! I'm a newer member here, and I think that this is such a positive and amazing community - which you probably already know!

Don't scold yourself for trying something different and new - it speaks volumes that you are back here trying what you know works for you.

I look forward to seeing you on the boards!

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:12 pm

Yes, I always come back to the sanity of this lifestyle!

The hardest thing I'm dealing with now is not snacking between meals... I have to remind myself that I won't starve in a few hours to the next meal and that feeling hungry is just a feeling, it won't kill me and it does go away!

I have also successfully cut out having my twice daily latte's! I switched to iced tea so I can still have my caffeine, but no milk/sugar syrup :) I will have a latte this weekend- only a couplel more days to go-
And there again is the nice thing about this diet! I CAN have a latte, just not all the time :)
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

DaveMc

Post by DaveMc » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:26 pm

Put your ear up close to the screen: Stop trying other diets!

(Well, you did ask for it. :) )

But really, maybe all these trials have put you where you need to be, to appreciate NoS? The others you list sound like they're presenting definite problems in terms of keeping them going forever, so maybe that's something to remind yourself of when the next sexy new diet comes along ...
Last edited by DaveMc on Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:46 pm

Howdy,
Another thought, could you not take that body of knowledge from the failed diets and use it in a different way? That way the time spent on them still has value.

For me, I treasure the knowledge I have about my body which has been honed over time and from different experiences. Some of my habits come from prior dieting experiments- which over the past 47 add up to exactly 5, 2 WW, 1 South Beach, 1 Nos, and current eating plan of my own devising built from these various plans plus additional sources.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
192/mid 120's maintaining
Maintaining a year

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:23 pm

connorcream wrote:Howdy,
Another thought, could you not take that body of knowledge from the failed diets and use it in a different way? That way the time spent on them still has value.

For me, I treasure the knowledge I have about my body which has been honed over time and from different experiences. Some of my habits come from prior dieting experiments- which over the past 47 add up to exactly 5, 2 WW, 1 South Beach, 1 Nos, and current eating plan of my own devising built from these various plans plus additional sources.
So true. I learned from paleo that basing meals on vegetables provides so many more nutrients and fiber to fill me up.

I will definitely apply that to noS now, and just stick with my 3 meals a day N days. :) And try my best to not have crazy S days! :) Which I think will be Friday night and saturday. The temptation for S's on Sunday is much lower, since it's back to the usual bedtime routine and we don't do the typical movie/family stuff which makes me want an S.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:57 am

shamrockmommy wrote:
So true. I learned from paleo that basing meals on vegetables provides so many more nutrients and fiber to fill me up.
That's true. Over the years I've observed that I feel better when I eat a lot of vegetables and fruits.

As I mentioned in my "If we are what we eat" post, I've been eating a lot of produce recently. A few meals have been vegetables and fruits only and they have been very satisfying.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:13 am

I absolutely can tell a difference when I've been shorting myself fruit and veggies. I like to have fruit/veg with every meal and really need to have them for two meals.

paulawylma

Other diets

Post by paulawylma » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:30 am

Reading about nutrition which is contained in many diet books can be very good--especially since they disagree so much. The main thing I have learned from other diets is they only work short term. No S is a long term for life diet that becomes really easy to stay on.

wosnes

Re: Other diets

Post by wosnes » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:56 pm

paulawylma wrote:Reading about nutrition which is contained in many diet books can be very good--especially since they disagree so much. The main thing I have learned from other diets is they only work short term. No S is a long term for life diet that becomes really easy to stay on.
I've tended to stop reading nutrition books precisely because they do disagree so much and started paying attention to what healthy people eat. Worldwide, there's a lot of variation, but the one thing that is common to all is the absence of the junk we find in our groceries. I can't say the absence of refined products (white rice and flour/flour products), because their use is pretty common. But the people eat a lot more vegetables, other grains, and legumes than most Americans do.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

paulawylma

Re: Other diets

Post by paulawylma » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:41 am

wosnes wrote:

I've tended to stop reading nutrition books precisely because they do disagree so much and started paying attention to what healthy people eat. Worldwide, there's a lot of variation, but the one thing that is common to all is the absence of the junk we find in our groceries. I can't say the absence of refined products (white rice and flour/flour products), because their use is pretty common. But the people eat a lot more vegetables, other grains, and legumes than most Americans do.
Michael Pollard made this point in his book "In Defense of Food" where he says that they are people who thrive on diets completely different from each other and the only thing they have in common is that the food is natural. I may be misremembering, but I believe he used examples of native peoples who lived completely off of animal and fish and contrasted them with native peoples who ate a vegetarian diet. Both groups were healthy.