No S vs weight watcher question

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

jellybeans01

No S vs weight watcher question

Post by jellybeans01 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:27 pm

On weight watchers I've always been able to get to about 124lbs or so after my babies which is so good to me. I'm though tired of points and am wondering if this diet has worked for anyone who really wants to be trim trim

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:13 am

Yes. No S has worked for people of various sizes, including folks who are very trim.

The premise of No S is that your body will settle naturally at a sustainable weight that is right for you. Of course, personal habits (i.e. whether or not you exercise, your portion size, food choices, etc) will play into what is sustainable for each person. In the end, the goal is to reach a weight that you can maintain easily and happily through your habits.
Restarted No S (3rd times a charm!) January 2010 at 145 lbs

jellybeans01

Post by jellybeans01 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:51 pm

Hey Shannon, you keep a low trim weight with this diet. How do you modify it for you??? I am a runner but hitting my mid 30's I really have to make dietary changes as well to be trim.

connorcream

Re: No S vs weight watcher question

Post by connorcream » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:34 pm

jellybeans01 wrote:wondering if this diet has worked for anyone who really wants to be trim trim
Nos as stated did not work for me. I gained weight. There are aspects I do like, forming habits/virtue, that has been helpful. I have also enjoyed connecting to some of the regular posters.

We are all an experiment of one.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
192/mid 120's maintaining
Maintaining a year

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:16 pm

Hi Jellybeans01 -- I'm basically a Vanilla No Ser but I do watch my portion sizes, especially on N Days, and exercise -- I'm a pedometer-wearing nordic walker -- on a daily basis. I'm 35 years old and somewhat short so I've found that these are essential components to maintaining a lower weight for me. I outline my own plan on the first post on my Daily Thread. http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic ... 84&start=0 I suspect that if my portion sizes were larger and/or if I didn't exercise, my set weight would be higher but, through trial and error, I've found what works for me and is happily/easily sustainable at this point in my life.

I remember Reinhard saying that sometimes your moderate habits will take you to a lower set point than you imagined and I've been pleasantly surprised that this has been true in my case. I totally agree with Connorcream that we are all Experiments of 1 and each have to find what works for us. But, yes, it is completely possible to be trim on No S and get there by doing No S. :wink:
Restarted No S (3rd times a charm!) January 2010 at 145 lbs

DaveMc

Post by DaveMc » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:22 pm

sophiasapientia wrote:But, yes, it is completely possible to be trim on No S and get there by doing No S.
Yes, but is it possible to be "trim trim"? I'm assuming that's similar to "trim", but with extra trim-ness. :)

There are plenty of people around here who seem to be quite slim, from their reported weights, and have got there and maintained it by following NoS. One nice thing is that once you get the N day habits down, you have a very good base from which to adjust your eating, if you want to lose more weight than you do at first. When you're just eating three moderate meals a day, you have a much better idea what you're consuming, and by that point you're so aware of how much it takes to carry you through to the next meal that you've got good ammunition for deciding how to eat just a bit less than usual. Your S days will tend to become more moderate over time, or if you're concerned about them, you can add some extra rules to make them more moderate.

So yeah, I don't think there's any limit to the amounts of trim-ness achievable using NoS.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:47 pm

People used to be really trim before all these other diet plans were a glimmer in someone's eye -- when people naturally ate similar to No-S. So, yeah, it's possible.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

jellybeans01

Post by jellybeans01 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:38 am

Thanks you all for you help and input. I look forward to this journey.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:08 pm

It's hard to tell. It's not designed to get you "trim trim;" it's designed to help you eat moderately (and see what happens).

That being said, moderate eating can have a striking effect on your physique. I'm thinner than I ever thought I could be (recent stunned comment at the beach: "you must have like zero percent body fat!"), and all I do besides no-s is walk and 14 minutes of shovelglove every N-day.***

*** Note: I have also been sporadically running (approximately 3 miles, very slowly) a little less than once a week for the last few years, though it hasn't made a discernible effect on my appearance -- I can just run a little faster.

Reinhard