A bad habit

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

jellybeans01

A bad habit

Post by jellybeans01 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:31 pm

I ran five miles so I can have an extra plate, snack or etc. I'm being naughty and need to get back on track. I know the no s diet are habits that I need to not fall into the weight problems that so much of my family has fallen into. I need structure and so I 'm here to start yet again with my goal of 21 days.

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:42 pm

Well, just don't have the extra plate, snack, or whatever. Don't keep track of your running in units of extra plates or snacks.

Seconds, snacks, and sweets are given on S days. They are not earned. They are not a reward for good behavior, nor should they be denied as a punishment for bad behavior. We'll all get the same S day coming up on Saturday (for those of us who take our S days then), whether the rest of the week was all green or all red.

If you've studied Christian theology, it's a little like the Protestant doctrine of sola gratia, by grace alone. You get S days, from God, the universe, the Flying Spaghetti Monster, the S Day Fairy, reinhard, Pope Gregory XIII (inventor of the Gregorian calendar), whoever invented the weekend, whatever you believe. You don't get them because you earned them, you get them just because that's how No S works. You don't get them because you behaved yourself, you get them whether you behave or not. There's nothing you can do to earn more S days.

scgal

Post by scgal » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:52 pm

^ Love this post!

jellybeans01

Post by jellybeans01 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:26 pm

Thanks for the great post, Good perspective

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:04 pm

Nicest of the Damned wrote: If you've studied Christian theology, it's a little like the Protestant doctrine of sola gratia, by grace alone. You get S days, from God, the universe, the Flying Spaghetti Monster, the S Day Fairy, reinhard, Pope Gregory XIII (inventor of the Gregorian calendar), whoever invented the weekend, whatever you believe. You don't get them because you earned them, you get them just because that's how No S works. You don't get them because you behaved yourself, you get them whether you behave or not. There's nothing you can do to earn more S days.
Thanks for this - a nice reminder.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

wosnes

Re: A bad habit

Post by wosnes » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:42 pm

jellybeans01 wrote:I ran five miles so I can have an extra plate, snack or etc. I'm being naughty and need to get back on track.
Maybe you just need to change your thinking.
Michael Pollan wrote:No wonder we have become, in the midst of our astounding abundance, the world's most anxious eaters. A few years ago, Paul Rozin, a University of Pennsylvania psychologist, and Claude Fischler, a French sociologist, began collaborating on a series of cross-cultural surveys of food attitudes. They found that of the four populations surveyed (the U.S., France, Flemish Belgium and Japan), Americans associated food with health the most and pleasure the least. Asked what comes to mind upon hearing the phrase ''chocolate cake,'' Americans were more apt to say ''guilt,'' while the French said ''celebration''; ''heavy cream'' elicited ''unhealthy'' from Americans, ''whipped'' from the French. The researchers found that Americans worry more about food and derive less pleasure from eating than people in any other nation they surveyed.

Compared with the French, we're much more likely to choose foods for reasons of health, and yet the French, more apt to choose on the basis of pleasure, are the healthier (and thinner) people. How can this possibly be? Rozin suggests that our problem begins with thinking of the situation as paradoxical. The French experience with food is only a paradox if you assume, as Americans do, that certain kinds of foods are poisons. ''Look at fat,'' Rozin points out. ''Americans treat the stuff as if it was mercury.'' That doesn't, of course, stop us from guiltily gorging on the stuff. A food-marketing consultant once told me that it's not at all uncommon for Americans to pay a visit to the health club after work for the express purpose of sanctioning the enjoyment of an entire pint of ice cream before bed.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."