Weight loss for lower body weight

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

nowornever83

Weight loss for lower body weight

Post by nowornever83 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:49 pm

I have a question I would love insight on:

I am 5'7'' 150 pounds-- so, considered normal (yet the high end) weight for my height. I would like to lose 10-15 pounds. Will No S work with less weight to lose? Will it be significantly slower or less noticeable? Any tips?

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:48 am

Yes, No-S will work and yes, it will probably be slower weight loss. Get the habits under control and let the weight take care of itself.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:21 am

Just for the heck of it, why don't you check out this link? It tells not only BMI, which despite its weaknesses, still is appropriate for a large percentage of the population, but it also tells where you fit in with your same-age peers.

A friend of mine in his late 40's is in the lightest 25% of his age group. I thought he would be in the lightest 10% because he seems slimmer to me. It turns out he is at 12.5% bodyfat--not bodybuilder, but certainly under average for a man, esp. of his age. I'd bet he is the the leanest 10%. The normal range for men is considered to be 15-18%. So lots of things affect weight.

I don't mean to discourage your efforts, but do you really need to be in the lowest 10%? Will it be worth eating less? If you eat terribly now, of course, there is no question. Or if you have reason to believe you're actually an ectomorph and meant to be lithe, by all means. And consider adding more exercise first. If you know you are not actually overeating, increasing burn is preferable to reducing calories. But do it for sane reasons.

http://www.halls.md/body-mass-index/bmi.htm
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

marygrace

Post by marygrace » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:39 pm

It will work, but your progress will probably be slower, and you may need to add exercise. For instance, I started NoS two years ago, at the beginning of my senior year in college. I lost 8-10 pounds over the course of the semester, so about 4 1/2 months. I also exercised 5 days a week--ran for 30 or 40 minutes at a steady pace for 3 days, then did high-intensity intervals for 15 minutes two other days. There's been a lot of news lately on intervals having an equal or even greater impact on weight loss than traditional, steady-state cardio, and I firmly believe it helped me lose the weight. Though the foundation of my weight loss was definitely NoS.

Perhaps I could've cut my portions further or modified my S days to eat less, requiring me to exercise less. However, the level of exercise I was doing felt good to me (I enjoy vigorous physical activity, and could afford to take the time to do it--I know that's not the case for everyone), and I prefer to do it rather than make eating modifications beyond vanilla NoS. For me, at least, I know that if I wasn't into exercising, I'd definitely need to tweak NoS to stay at my ideal weight (something many other smaller women on these boards seem to have done with great success). It all depends what your food and exercise preferences are.

Long story short, you can lose the weight on NoS!

Edit: I should clarify, I'm 5'6", and weighed about 128 lbs when I started NoS. I'm now around 118-120 lbs.

nowornever83

Thank you!

Post by nowornever83 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:50 pm

Thank you all for the points, encouragement, and insight-- all very helpful! Oolala-- that is a good point. Although, my self-esteem about my appearance I know would increase if I lost some weight. According to the link, I am in the 48th percentile for my age and height.

MaryGrace, I know exericse could be the piece that really gets the process going and am on day 2 of being good with that.

Thanks again! I wish you all well. :D

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:15 pm

I think you can probably do what it takes to hit that vanity weight -- but you will always be on a diet.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

kwidener7

Post by kwidener7 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:53 pm

wosnes wrote:I think you can probably do what it takes to hit that vanity weight -- but you will always be on a diet.
I don't think this is completely true. And at 150 and 5'7", I don't think nowornever83 is looking completely at vanity weight. I know, I know, she's in a normal BMI, but not everyone is in the same shape/health at the same BMI.

I am only an inch shorter and started No S at 168. I was just in the overweight category. Now, 11 months in I have lost over 30 pounds and still inching down. So yes, those that don't have a lot to lose can do No S. And my weight loss was MUCH slower in the beginning. The opposite of what everyone says. It took me almost 6/7 months in to start seeing more drastic weight loss. But that's what it took for me to get the habits well established, start exercising regularly, and start tweaking No S to better fit me.

I now do 4 floating S events a week (full S days were leaving me feeling bloated and uncomfortable) and intermittent fasting. I found that 3 meals a day every single day were way to much for me as my weight started dropping further. Just know that this is meant to be a slow, gradual process where you use the time to figure out what works for you. And I never feel like I'm on a diet! I'm constantly amazed at how easy this has been and I don't have to measure out every little thing, eat low-fat dairy, or miss out on my favorite foods!

Definitely stick with Vanilla No S to get the habits down. You might just be surprised what other habits you can start to build. And remember (I think it's a Buddhist saying) that a tiny change today can lead you miles away from where you are heading now!

nowornever83

Post by nowornever83 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:31 pm

Thank you kwidener7, I am glad you know where I am coming from. Also, it is not just "vanity" weight. I personally don't like that term because self-esteem and self-worth are important and I believe if I am not happy where I am that it is important I make changes. Additionally, I previously had no consistent exercise habits that I am working to establish with this program. Finally, I had unhealthy emotional eating habits that emerged in the form of between lunch and dinner excessive snacking, at times, binging. I was not able to control one small portioned snack, and eliminating them has helped solve that emotional eating slippery slope. Now that I am NOT allowing myself to snack, I am finding other positive ways to deal with stress and boredom. I think it would not have been a wise choice to "settle" at a weight in which I am not happy with myself. I am trying to focus on health and fitness and hoping my body follows.

Thank you, everyone, for your differing perspectives.

Justin11

Post by Justin11 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:24 am

I agree with wosnes. "Get the habits under control and let the weight take care of itself." Fruits can also be very helpful. Natural loss of weight with fruit diet and proper exercise would help a lot. :)