Another newbie and I'm ready to get radical!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

SpiritSong

Another newbie and I'm ready to get radical!

Post by SpiritSong » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:28 pm

Hello, everyone! I have been reading the archives and this board is an awesome source of information for those of us just starting the No S Diet.

Why radical? The other day I was pondering my breakfast and why it leaves me ready to gnaw on my arm two or three hours before lunch, and I realized I needed to add some fat to it. What kind of crazy diet has you ADD fat to your meals??? :D

I am 42, went through early menopause and have the belly to show for it, and am now about 43 lbs. over my college weight (after reaching a known peak of 57 lbs.). I have been slowly gaining weight since I graduated, and every once in a while I would start exercising and try to eat better, but it would only last a month or two.

I am finally ready to make the changes I need to make in my life, and I have been exercising regularly since July 3rd of this year. Someone at the Video Fitness forum mentioned the No S Diet, and when I clicked on her link and read the web site, I thought, "Hey, I can do this!"

This is my second week on the plan. Last week I cheated with some snacks, and this week I had seconds on pizza once, but I have been super good on the sweets. I have chocolate in my desk right now and there is no way I am touching it before tomorrow (my S days are Fridays and Sundays).

Last night I ordered the book, which cost me $27.80 (well, you didn't expect me to pay Amazon shipping did you?? I had to buy an exercise DVD and music CD to go with it. :wink: ) and I am very much looking forward to reading it. (For those of you who are confused, please be reassured that the No S book sells for $5.58 on Amazon.)

I know that progress will be slow, but I keep reminding myself that if I can lose just two pounds a month, it will only take 2 years to lose what I gained in 20. I think that is more than fair.

Thank you for this system, thank you for this board, and thank you for including beer! 8)

wosnes

Re: Another newbie and I'm ready to get radical!

Post by wosnes » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:31 pm

SpiritSong wrote:I was pondering my breakfast and why it leaves me ready to gnaw on my arm two or three hours before lunch, and I realized I needed to add some fat to it. What kind of crazy diet has you ADD fat to your meals??? :D
I think it's probably only in the US and other English speaking countries that fat is considered to be evil. Granted, there are bad fats, but there others either aren't bad or aren't as bad.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:19 pm

I've often found that if for some reason I forget to add my regular fat, and we're talking only about 100 calories' worth, to my lunch, I start feeling peckish after just a few hours. Even having more starch or protein doesn't seem to help, and I don't think there's a reason to skip it anyway. It adds deliciousness!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)