What about "Starters"?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

sisiromy

What about "Starters"?

Post by sisiromy » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:55 pm

Hello to all,

I live in France, and usually our meal plans out like this :

* Starter
*Main course
*Bread and cheese
*Dessert

I know it seems a lot but our plates are smaller than in the US (I think)

So should i just eat main course and dessert (no sweets) or should I continue with my usual meals, on no S days?

Thanks a lot.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:06 pm

When I started No-S I didn't realize there was a one plate rule. It was nearly a year before I realized that rule existed. What I did was have one serving of whatever was being served at the meal. It worked.

Follow the meal structure that is common where you live. I think it's possible that if you don't, you'll feel deprived -- like you're "on a diet." Just don't take actual seconds of anything and avoid sweet and snacks except on S days.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:35 pm

What are some typical starters, how are they served, and how much food are we talking about here?

I would definitely steer clear of things served as appetizers in a casual American restaurant. Those things are often fried, and are often large portions of very calorie-dense food, such as loaded potato skins (potato skins with cheese, bacon, and sour cream on them). Applebee's, a popular chain restaurant, has several appetizers that contain over 1000 calories and have enough food to make a main course of. One of their starters is a 10" diameter vegetable pizza. All of the appetizers they offer have over 600 calories and 1000 mg sodium. (I'm not picking on Applebee's here, I suspect that most other American restaurants' appetizers are similar) If your starters are like that, you'd definitely want to give them a miss.

At a Mexican restaurant in the US, you might get a basket of chips and a bowl of salsa before your meal, or, at some restaurants, there might be a bread basket. If you're nibbling from a common platter before your meal, it's possible to eat a lot of food without it seeming like a lot of food, which is what No S is supposed to prevent. If your starters are served from a common platter, and it's typical to nibble your way to when the main course comes out, I wouldn't do that. Instead, I'd take a set portion of the starter at the beginning, on your bread plate, and not allow myself to go back for more at any time.

This is a diet. You're going to have to eat less food than you're used to eating. Diets don't work if you don't do that, one way or another.

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:10 pm

Hi Sisromy,

Having spent some time in France, I think that you need to stick to the traditional way of eating which you describe. Otherwise I think social and cultural pressures will make you feel deprived and you will not be able to stick to the plan. I think you're right - your plates are smaller than other countries and in my experience, the food is healthy, balanced and you tend to judge your portions well. To me, the point of No S is to cut out the rubbish which is laden with calories - you can cut out the rubbish, cut down the portions if you need to and still eat in your traditional way.

Good luck :D

DaveMc

Post by DaveMc » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:30 am

I often interpret the "one plate" rule to mean "decide in advance how much you're going to eat". So if the food comes on a plate and a bowl (because I'm having soup or salad plus something else), I don't worry about it. I think the key point is to not just keep eating absent-mindedly. But everyone says the French already eat so well, maybe you should be teaching us how to do it! :)

sisiromy

Hello from France

Post by sisiromy » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:19 pm

Thanks to all for your replies!

Well appetisers can be : soup salad, stuff in fluffy pastry,or some dried meat (like ham, dried sausage....) with bread. But usually it is soup (especially in this weather, it is snowing here). It's not that bad, but i'd like to do "vanilla no S", as i need structure! I don't think i've been doing that bad, i even avoided some pie today and had an apple instead!!! It's great to know you've got the weekends off as it's psychologically relieving (i'll have some of that pie on Sunday).

French do not eat that healthfully at all now - they used to- but now it's a lot of pre-packaged meals, frozen pizzas, the aisles in the supermarket are full of them!!!Well at least in town it is like that.... In the countryside it's probably much more healthier. There are fast foods and kebabs everywhere now, they've popped up over the last ten years...

My problem is that i went through anorexia, then bulimia, then years and years of BED :-(. Plus the medication (risperidone) and the mad diets... i've put on loads of weight! That's why i need something as sensible as this No S eating style!

Thank you all for your repies, again.