Another Newbie to No S! My introduction.

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

RichTJ99

Another Newbie to No S! My introduction.

Post by RichTJ99 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:02 am

Hi,

I am also new to this & this is my first day too. My wife finished the book & gave it to me to read. I am not finished yet but I like the idea.

I cant get over how many times I started to wander to the kitchen today to get a snack. I am also a former WW person though I have been dietless for a few months (& gaining).

I am 5'6 & was weighing 140 in 2007 (on WW) though I am weighing in at 158 these days. I am not thrilled about the extra 18 pounds. The holiday season didnt help either.

However, I guess its important to keep the one day at a time slogan in mind & I only need to worry about today, I am hoping the non-snacking will become a habit.

I will say that I started with 1.5 waffles this morning for breakfast (with spray butter - though maybe regular butter is better?. Then at 12:30, I had WW bread with mustard & turkey, a 100 cal pack of pretzels & a banana.

At 3pm i worked out on the elpitical for 30 minutes & I admit around 4:30 PM, I was starting to feel very hungry. It was at that point I found myself hovering through the kitchen.

At 6:15 (dinner was 5 minutes later), I really started to fall apart & though this is probably not a great thing, I did snack on a half a package of melba toast.

Then I had dinner which was chicken, stuffing & an apple.

I was fine until 7:45 & I grabbed a banana but that is it for tonight.

I have always been a late night snacker & on WW I would save at least 8 points for after dinner (starve all day, eat all night). I would have a second 2 point turkey sandwich (small), a WW ice cream, apples & usually some other small things.

It actually worked OK for a while with maintenance - unfortunately I started rounding up points, & suddenly I was gaining.

Anyway, I wanted to say hi & introduce myself. I am hoping the 12pm-6pm 'fasting - for me' will get easier over time.

I just find it amazing how much I realized today that I eat when I am bored vs being actually hungry.

I am a little bummed about my two slips today but I figure my choices could have been much worse. However, it wasnt a success today but I was close.

Wish me luck!

Thanks,
Rich

gettheweightoff

Post by gettheweightoff » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:15 am

Wow, from one newbie to another I think you did remarkably well.

Best of luck.

I'm a bit hungry too but I am finding herbal tea is helping and I plan on going to bed early.

I keep looking around for my after dinner 1 pt snacks but I have to keep stopping myself!

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:46 am

Welcome, RichTJ99. Good luck! You are off to a good start.
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Nicest of the Damned

Re: Another Newbie to No S! My introduction.

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:59 pm

Welcome!
RichTJ99 wrote:I just find it amazing how much I realized today that I eat when I am bored vs being actually hungry.
Realizing that is more than half the battle. A lot of people who eat out of boredom don't know that that's what they're doing. Boredom can masquerade pretty convincingly as hunger, for a lot of people.

wosnes

Re: Another Newbie to No S! My introduction.

Post by wosnes » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:32 pm

Welcome, Rich!
RichTJ99 wrote: (with spray butter - though maybe regular butter is better?.
Real butter gets my vote. First, I don't think spray butter is made from ingredients we should be consuming. I couldn't find an ingredients list online -- really not a good sign. Second, real butter, while certainly high in calories and fat, is also more satisfying. It's more satisfying in terms of taste and physical satisfaction as well. Third, real food always gets my vote.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:00 pm

It can be hard to get the right amount without the spray. It depends on what you'd be happy with, though authentic is usually preferred in this crowd. but don't get caught up in others' prejudices to start.

Is there any way to have your lunch a bit later? Or eat a hefty portion of green leafies with a tablespoon of nice dressing at lunch or dinner or both. I find if I mix it well, I don't need much and prefer just the light addition to the vegetable flavor.

Remember that you can drink milk or other beverages between meals. I vote for milk because it has been shown to satisfy similarly to solid foods, and I have a prejudice for not eating single food types at a time. Milk has natural protein, fat, and sugar. Others here and other places believe the opposite. Go figure.

You did do very well your first day! I do recommend listening to podcast 21, Extreme Moderation. Keep up the good work!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)