How slow exactly is the weight loss on NO-S?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

gettheweightoff

How slow exactly is the weight loss on NO-S?

Post by gettheweightoff » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:02 am

I'm only a few days into this no-s regime and I don't expect to lose 5lbs a week or anything but from what I understand the weight loss is very slow on No-S.

On Christmas I accidently saw pictures of myself on the digital camera (I usually avoid them) and I couldn't believe I let myself get so out of control with my weight. I look awful. I know it's vain but I wanted to cry.

Just a few minutes ago I was cleaning up my computer and found some picturs of when I was 20lbs lighter (only 3 years ago) and I look at myself now and feel totally panicked that I won't be back to that weight for a year at least on this plan. I love this program and I am committed but I just don't want it to take 6 months to lose 5lbs you know?

Has anyone dropped the weight fairly quickly on No-S or is it about .5 per week if that?

Any insight and motivation is warmly welcomed.

In the meantime, I'm staying away from photos and the mirror and keep on keeping on.

Thanks

:cry:

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:30 am

There's really no easy answer to that.

If you're younger/male/active/heavier, you'll lose weight faster than someone who is older/female/sedentary/already-close-to-normal-weight.

Your food choices matter. How consistent you are matters.

People have posted wildly varying results, from very quick to very slow.

Suggestion: If you didn't take a baseline weight and set of measurements, do that. Then give yourself 21 days before you check again, and see how you're doing.

And remember that it took you a while to put this much weight on, so it will take a while to take it off. But consistency will get you where you need to go, and quick-fixes (usually abandoned as quickly) will not.

gettheweightoff

Post by gettheweightoff » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:38 am

Thanks.

I'm a 40 year old mother of two young kids (4 1/2 and 2 1/2) and I have been too sedentary because I am so worn out with them as my husband is away a lot. My height is 5'2. I weigh 130 something and my goal is to get back down to 114 at least.

Anyways, I know my metabolism has slowed down as a result of my age, and having two kids so I don't expect miracles.

I will start to incorporate a beginner walking dvd next week when I am over this cold and I am eating roughly 1300 calories a day.

I am hoping I can at least lose 1lb a week but of course I would love 2lbs.

4 days ago I cut out coffee and I am eating very clean now (no sugar, no sweeteners, no refined carbs).

Does my goal seem doable/realistic?

I am not weighing myself because I am obsessive and my 4 year old daughter follows me everywhere and I don't want her to catch me on the scale because she is very impressionable. But I will for the first time ever, take measurements and I will try on my tight clothes once a week. I can pretty much tell in the mirror the weight I am. I've been dieting since I was 13 years old. How sad is that!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:14 pm

Traditional dieting--purposely aiming at a certain number of calories per day, having little choice in what one eats, etc.-- has not worked to get people to their goals for 90% of those who try it, and no longer than 5 years for 95%, counting the 10% who do get to goal. Those are the real facts. It's unfortunate, because most people gained weight in the first place because they had lost touch with their ability to gauge their true needs for food, including tolerating some periods of hunger, not stuffing themselves just because the food was there, and avoiding eating when they weren't truly hungry, which is what so much snacking is. In fact, Judith Beck, who writes on the psychological techniques needed to stick to any eating plan, has people learn to distinguish the difference between hunger, desire, and cravings and learn to tolerate them before she recommends that anyone even start calorie counting. She also has them eat slowly, savoring every bite, also before calorie counting. Without those skills, any diet is doomed.

No S can help with that much better than traditional dieting, IMO. Some of us are still working on the fine points, but don't judge by us.

It's doubtful you could do much worse in the long run with No S.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:44 pm

It varies a lot.

You might like to know, though, that we get a steady trickle of people coming back to the bulletin board, having got tired of slow weight loss, tried "get slim fast" plans and gained weight before returning to No S. People often say that they wish they had just stuck to No S, because they would have weighed less if they had continued with it.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:30 pm

I think it's reasonable to expect to lose 1/2-1 pound weekly. Although that's pretty slow, slow weight loss tends to be more permanent weight loss. It took you 3 years to gain that 20 pounds. Don't try to get it off in 3 months.

My kids are about 2 years apart and when they were the ages yours are, I included them in my exercise. One thing we did was walk every night after dinner -- even during cooler weather if there wasn't a lot of ice and snow (we lived where we got a lot of lake effect snow). Well, I walked. When they were very little they were in the stroller or a wagon. As they got older they walked or rode tricycles or bicycles.

I went to a walking trail and took them, and sometimes neighbor kids as well, with me. I let them run and play and the only rule was that I had to be able to see them at all times. This particular trail had stations to do exercises and I let them try the exercises.

So, not only did I get my exercise, they got exercise, too, so it was beneficial for them. It may sound like you're not moving quickly enough for the exercise to matter, but it all adds up.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."