Plating Lunches?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Sharpie

Plating Lunches?

Post by Sharpie » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:33 am

Tomorrow is my first day with No S and back at the daily grind. I am a mere minion at this point since I am in my last year of prof school and am paying for the privilege of working my hiney off (rather than getting paid) I may or may not be allowed a lunch break on any given day. There are no rules on what they do with us since we are not technically employees. :roll:

How do you all plate for lunch? I was thinking of making a plate the night before, and then packing it in containers to put in my bag? I will try to make a concerted effort to get 10 consecutive minutes to eat it all (fence around the rule) but are there any tips you have to help avoid 'snacking' it down in fits and spurts? Foods that work best? Techniques to get a few minutes to yourself for food? I don't even want to try virtual plating- above my pay grade at this point!

I know if I don't get to eat a meal, I will get home and then wolf down whatever I find in my cupboard or fridge... This pattern (not eating a real lunch) is a big part of what has gotten me into trouble to begin with.
"If you only do what you know you can do, you never do very much.†-Tom Krause

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:25 am

Hi Sharpie,

I always pack my lunch the night before. When I first started No S I used to make sure it would all fit on one plate and then just pack it separately - I tend to have a sandwich, yogurt and fruit. I have a very busy job and I don't always get to eat my lunch in one sitting. At times I actually found I was having to eat really quickly in order to stick to the rules. I thought that was a bit crazy (and it made me feel a bit sick and unsatisfied), so now if I get called away I just eat it when I get back. However, it has to be outside forces which call me away - it can't be my decision to leave a little bit until later.
My feeling is that this diet is not about doing without food and it has to fit your lifestyle. I eat dinner late, so I can't afford to miss out on lunch. And missing out on lunch would only bring disaster later! :roll: I hope this helps - I know other people have different rules for this and I'm sure you'll get a variety of different suggestions. Good luck and let us know how it goes :D

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:11 am

When I was working I took my lunch, too. I didn't actually "plate" a meal, but I have a fairly standard lunch (mine is soup, bread, and fruit) and packed that.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:40 pm

I pack a lunch too. Sometimes I physically plate it before I pack it, sometimes I just know what will be a plate.

I usually eat it all at once. If circumstances intervene, I consider it "virtual plating" and eat when I can. Since it IS only one plate, not a problem.

The exception: If I've left something for more than an hour or two, I don't eat it. That's not because I think it would be "wrong" to have it, but usually by then, I just feel "done" with lunch and even though it's still a lunch portion, it "feels" snack-y to me.

NoelFigart

Re: Plating Lunches?

Post by NoelFigart » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:21 am

Sharpie wrote:How do you all plate for lunch?
My hobby is making bentos (Japanese lunch boxes). So, there's portion control right there. I did an experiment and why yes, these little boxes hold about a plate of food.

http://noelfigart.com/blog/2009/09/05/b ... iny-bento/
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:56 am

I've taken packed lunches to work for 14 years. Nowadays, it's mostly chopped up meat, grain, veggies, fat, and sauce in a container and a piece of fruit. I've never refrigerated anything and never had a problem. If I want things separate, I have a container that has divisions in it.

By the way, for years my choice of amounts, when I'm not being compulsive overeater, I've used my palm for protein size, one or two fist[s] of grain-or the equivalent-, double that volume of veggies and fruit, and one or two thumbs' of fat. Lunches and dinners of this size have been great for about a year of 85% compliant N days.

But if you're really not familiar with what a plate of food that will satisfy you looks like in containers, go ahead and plate it before you pack it.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Aleria

Post by Aleria » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:53 am

I pack bento as well, actually, I found this site through a bento forum. I find that as long as it's packed with a balanced variety of foods, it's the right amount.
"I'm not here to decorate your world"
Start: January 2010: 160 pounds, 39" waist
During: December 2010: 152 pounds, 33" waist

Eileen7316

Post by Eileen7316 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:14 pm

I usually pack containers, but at lunchtime, I put the food on a plate. BECAUSE, I have noticed that I OVERPACK the little containers. It can look like a small amount of food, but once on the plate - wowee! Sometimes it makes me feel gluttonous!

I generally eat with others, so that is a good incentive to eat one plate of food, not too much.
Eileen

Over43

Post by Over43 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:27 pm

Noel,

I love the Bentos. Most excellent.

As far as my own "lunch plating", I usually take a brown bag lunch with a sandwich, piece of fruit (orange, apple, bananna, etc...), and a yogart. Plus I have a diet pop around.

O43
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79