Moved Away From Meals

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

NoelFigart

Moved Away From Meals

Post by NoelFigart » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:18 pm

Had an interesting object lesson in how far we've moved away from eating meals today.

I'm up for jury duty and had to report today to participate in the selection process. Now, the court goes out of its way to be really nice to jurors for the most part. Nice place to hang out, kitchen, snacks available, coffee, water, all that smack.

But there was no caution to bring a lunch in case the selection ran long, nor was there really a lunch break. (And we're talking an 8-4 day here).

Me? I'm the bento lady. If I'm going to be out for the day, or out for an indeterminate period of time, you BET I pack a bento and slip it into my purse. (I'm too cheap to eat out). I had what was more or less my normal lunch in one fifteen minute break.

But most people? They were snacking all day because that was the food available, and no-one was given time to go get lunch.

Eating meals is really no longer a given for us, and I think that's interesting, if not a little sad.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:29 pm

Urg. I can't imagine how I would feel with just snack foods. I could graze all day and be ravenous by the time I'm done. Good on you for bringing your bento.

The idea of bringing lunch seems to be archaic. I live in a smallish city where people go home for lunch or go out. Since home is 3 miles away I prefer not to go the 6 miles (about 1/4 gallon gas or $.75 worth of gas) when I can just as easily pack my lunch.

I too am frugal/cheap/a tightwad. Even though I can eat out on No S, I often prefer not to since it makes eating out not special. And we are all about the special here at No S.
Last edited by Blithe Morning on Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ruby

Bento

Post by ruby » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:47 pm

I am really interested in your Bentos. I think I will give it a try. It sounds like a healthy way to do lunch.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:01 pm

Bento aren't necessarily automatically healthy. At the end of the day, it's just a hobby of arranging food in a small container. You CAN choose healthy food, though. I just consider it a hobby that's very consistent with No-S principles. It's portion-controlled and it makes a small "event" out of meals by making them attractive, nutritious and fun.

My son has an all-day event today. He went through the fridge and got leftovers which are now in a bento for him to take. You want the power of habit? There it is. Our household habit is to pack a little lunch when you'll be out for the day. It's so strong my fifteen year old will do it for himself.

Some good bento sites:

http://www.justbento.com
http://www.lunchinabox.net
http://www.noelfigart.com/blog/category/bento
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:10 pm

Noel, I swear you are going to entice me into making bento yet! (Your blog on not being too caught up in "doing it wrong" was especially a prod.)

Question... when I look at the pictures of the open box in two halves, I wonder what happens when it closes... it looks like it would all scramble up and be much less attractive. Or does it stack, and I'm being silly?

And do you refrigerate, or just not worry about it?

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:17 pm

The bentos with two halves do, indeed stack. Those boxes are QUITE small, so to get enough food, you have to pack them very tightly. If you do this, they're still attractive come lunchtime, even after being bounced around in a purse or backpack.

Technically, bento aren't supposed to be refrigerated or anything, so you shouldn't choose foods that would go bad quickly at room temperature. (One of the reasons onigiri -- rice balls-- traditionally have heavily-salted centers is as a preservative).

That said, some people DO make bento that should be chilled and then use a fridge or an insulated bag and ice pack.
------

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:10 pm

Okay, Noel, I have just spent a few HOURS on the sites you linked to. (Well, off and on. And I suppose no one was holding me hostage to make me do it.)

And a few puzzle pieces fell into place with almost an audible click.

- On Thursdays, I need to pack an especially portable lunch because I have a meeting that meets right at lunchtime. Most people carry in fast food, but I'd rather have my own lunch... but something I have to heat or spread out in multiple containers is not the best choice, and I'm tired of sandwiches-for-Thursday. I've been thinking about how to make that particular lunch more portable and interesting.
- Playing with bento would make planning it more fun. And one-day-a-week is a good way to try it out.
- Fortunately, I work at home on Wednesdays. So I have a little time to cook things-that-take-time. Like whole grains.
- I almost do bento already - I pack a lunch every day, and sort of have a pattern for it. It's really not that big a step.
- I have plastic containers in about the right sizes, and even a few glass ones for things I want to microwave.

And some of the prior barriers fell...
- No need to fill with traditional Japanese food (I knew that, but good to be reminded)
- I like a different ratio than the traditional bento - but it's exactly the one found on the first site link above (1:1:2). That works.
- It doesn't have to be fussy/perfect/difficult. Keep it at a fun level (Again...yes, I know that, but I need reminding sometimes).
- I don't need a lot of "stuff". I have things that would work. (But I reserve the right to amuse myself with fun boxes later.)