What to do when you don't put enough on your plate...

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

gettheweightoff

What to do when you don't put enough on your plate...

Post by gettheweightoff » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:03 pm

... and you still feel hungry?

Sienna

Post by Sienna » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:16 pm

Remind myself that the next meal isn't *that* far away. Really, at max it's only a few hours unless it's dinner I didn't eat enough at. Then it's still only a few hours of awake time. If it's really bad, I might go to bed earlier.

Sometimes I'll also allow myself a glass of wine or something in the evening, to make me feel more full, but I know that can work the opposite for some people. (I know a lot of people like to drink milk, but I can't stand the taste of milk so I don't personally do that)
Finally a diet that I can make a lifestyle!

Started June 2010
6/27/2010 - 226 lbs
10/17/2010 - 203 lbs - 10% weight loss goal!
1/29/2011 - 182 lbs - 2nd 10% weight loss goal!
5/29/2011 - 165 lbs - 3rd 10% weight loss goal! (one more to go)

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:50 pm

I suck it up till the next meal.

As Our Founder put it, "Hunger is a great teacher."
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:51 pm

If I really didn't put enough on my plate I'll do one of two things -- assuming it's immediately after a meal:

I'll add enough of something to fill the plate. Or, I'll wait 20 minutes and see how I feel. If I'm still hungry, I'll have more of dinner. However, I usually fill my plate even if I don't think I feel like eating all that's there. Most of the time I do eat it, though now and then I know I'm finished before I empty the plate.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

gettheweightoff

Post by gettheweightoff » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:17 am

great advice.

i'm just sucking it up and having an extra cup of tea with a little milk.

thanks guys!

Sharpie

Post by Sharpie » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:13 am

Tea with milk!
"If you only do what you know you can do, you never do very much.†-Tom Krause

DaveMc

Post by DaveMc » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:27 pm

It's amazing how much better this gets (for many people), over the first few months (often). (Caveats because everyone is different!) I've found, and I've heard the same from many others, that I'm now perfectly comfortable being somewhat hungry, and I can ride that state of pleasantly anticipating eating, for *hours*.

When I first started, if dinner was delayed for half an hour for some reason, my response was, "Sorry, but I have to eat *now*," and I'd end up eating ahead of the rest. These days, we could delay it a couple of hours, and I'd be fine. You really do get used to it. But it's definitely hard at first -- well done for hanging in there!

Over43

Post by Over43 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:04 pm

I have a glass of milk. Or two.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:05 pm

Wait. It really does take 20 minutes to feel full. You might still feel hungry when you stop eating, but then feel satiated 20 minutes later.

Do something to take your mind off being hungry. If I think about food, it makes me hungry. Find something to do that won't make you think about food. The internet has many possible distractions, as does TV (but cooking shows are probably not what you want).

Have something to drink. Thirst often masquerades as hunger.

Don't hang out in the kitchen or dining room. There is food in the kitchen, and seeing the food can make you hungry. The dining room is also associated with food. The kitchen and dining room also tend to have food conveniently available, which makes it too easy to slip in a moment of weakness and have a snack. Hang out somewhere else, where there is no food.

gettheweightoff

Post by gettheweightoff » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:34 pm

I got busy with other things and moved away from the kitchen and decided to get an early night.

The hunger completely passed but I couldn't get to sleep and was hungry again.

I had 1 glass of crystal light lemonade, which totally did the trick and I was fine.

I guess this is all about trial and error and finding out what works for us best.

So happy I didn't cave and start eating off my plate cuz I know that would have led to a complete binge disaster.

Samurai Redux

Blood sugar

Post by Samurai Redux » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:17 pm

I've had issues with blood sugar spikes and drops (confirmed with glucometer); I'm still figuring out what 'normal foods' keep me on an even keel and which don't. When you get the jitters and feel weak it's hard to hold off til the next meal! :cry:
One should not be envious of someone who has prospered by unjust deeds. Nor should he disdain someone who has fallen while adhering to the path of righteousness. - Imagawa Sadayo (1325-1420)

NoelFigart

Re: Blood sugar

Post by NoelFigart » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:32 pm

Samurai Redux wrote:I've had issues with blood sugar spikes and drops (confirmed with glucometer); I'm still figuring out what 'normal foods' keep me on an even keel and which don't. When you get the jitters and feel weak it's hard to hold off til the next meal! :cry:
You're quite right, it is.

For me (and you may be different) a little protein and fat is enough. You know, like an egg with a meal, as long as there are no sweets.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.