Citrus fruits question

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Aleria

Citrus fruits question

Post by Aleria » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:45 am

Since there's a plethora of citrus fruit for cheap right now at my grocery store, I've been squeezing it, mixing it with sparkling water and a teensy bit of sugar to make my own delicious soda, much better than Pepsi or anything else. But, I know they won't always be this plentiful or inexpensive, so I was thinking of freezing the juice into ice cubes and storing for later use

My questions:
1. Would this wreck the juice's flavour? Bottled juice, for instance, tastes terrible when used to make soda. Yuck!
2. Does anyone know how long this 'citrus season' will last? I'd hate to miss out because I left it too long.
"I'm not here to decorate your world"
Start: January 2010: 160 pounds, 39" waist
During: December 2010: 152 pounds, 33" waist

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:53 am

[urlhttp://www.crosscreekgroves.com/IBS/SimpleCat/ ... hy/02.html]Citrus Season Chart[/url]

Yes you can probably freeze the juice, but no, it's not going to be at that lovely flavorful peak of fresh squeezed. (Delicious, isn't it?) It will probably be better than bottled.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

wosnes

Re: Citrus fruits question

Post by wosnes » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:17 pm

Aleria wrote:Since there's a plethora of citrus fruit for cheap right now at my grocery store, I've been squeezing it, mixing it with sparkling water and a teensy bit of sugar to make my own delicious soda, much better than Pepsi or anything else. But, I know they won't always be this plentiful or inexpensive, so I was thinking of freezing the juice into ice cubes and storing for later use

My questions:
1. Would this wreck the juice's flavour? Bottled juice, for instance, tastes terrible when used to make soda. Yuck!
2. Does anyone know how long this 'citrus season' will last? I'd hate to miss out because I left it too long.
Once again, I agree with NoelFigart. Having said that, I often use lemon or lime to "perk up" the taste of water -- even when they aren't "in season." I find much bigger differences in the quality of oranges and grapefruit when not in season than lemons or limes.

Additionally I'd add that pureed/mashed berries and other fruits can be added to add great taste to water -- sparkling or still.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:41 pm

One of the things that make bottled lemon/lime so awful is the sulfur additives. Bleh.

NoelFigart

Re: Citrus fruits question

Post by NoelFigart » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:42 pm

wosnes wrote:Once again, I agree with NoelFigart. Having said that, I often use lemon or lime to "perk up" the taste of water -- even when they aren't "in season." I find much bigger differences in the quality of oranges and grapefruit when not in season than lemons or limes.

Additionally I'd add that pureed/mashed berries and other fruits can be added to add great taste to water -- sparkling or still.
There IS a bigger quality difference. Lemons and limes store much better. (There's a reason British soldiers were Limeys, after all!)
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Aleria

Post by Aleria » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:00 am

Thank you! I'm at least half as happy about the cheapness as I am the deliciousness, so I'll probably buy a bunch and freeze the juice now while I can. It's become a new dietary default for me, especially after aikido.
"I'm not here to decorate your world"
Start: January 2010: 160 pounds, 39" waist
During: December 2010: 152 pounds, 33" waist