Pizza, Sushi and why I love No-S

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

NoelFigart

Pizza, Sushi and why I love No-S

Post by NoelFigart » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:12 am

While my family and I don't go out to eat very often, we do sometimes of a Friday night.

My husband, son and I all enjoy pizza. My husband and I are also sushi fans, which my son is not.

So, if it's my son's choice, we go out for pizza. We did it tonight. No-S makes going out for pizza pretty cool. See, we went out and I had a slice.

A slice...

One slice.

I know, that's dramatic. But it's the second time I've had pizza in the last couple of months, and yes, while I really enjoyed it, a single slice seemed an appropriate-sized meal. It's late in the evening and while yes, I am sipping a martini, I'm not feeling like I didn't have enough dinner, I didn't eat a salad WITH the pizza or anything like that.

Salad with pizza bad? Well, if both the slice of pizza and the salad fit on the plate, of course not. This was at a restaurant and the slice was pretty big. Nothing else fit on the plate without crowding.

I like the fact that I'm not eating more to get the halo effect ("good" food eaten in conjunction with "bad" food making the "bad" food okay). It's nice to have a damn slice of pizza without feeling like I have to make up for it somehow, or go through contortions to make it okay.

I never felt that way about sushi. Sushi was "okay" in my mind. "Healthy". Sure, it's a reasonably healthy meal, mind. But I'd never eat MORE of something ELSE to make it okay, if that makes any sense.

In real life? I eat a wide range of dishes. One day I might have a salad (god, I'm looking forward to spring and summer vegetables this year!), another day, meat and potatoes, and other day a stir-fry. I don't need to throw a halo of goodness around anything, because I DO eat a wide variety of food.

It's a little funny to me though, that I'm mentally classifying a single slice of pizza as normal. I can promise you that this is really different for me.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Reduk74

Post by Reduk74 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:24 am

Well done....I do not think that is dramatic at all. I think you deserve a bravo for overcoming one of your obstacles.

One slice of pizza is a big deal and you deserve to feel proud of yourself!

:D

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:56 am

I echo what Reduk said, too, Noel! I think to go out and eat one slice of pizza is amazing! A great achievement. I always eat around 3 or 4 large slices in a restaurant - even on an N Day! (Mostly just to please other people if you know what I'm saying :roll: )
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:00 pm

Thanks for this post. I, myself, would have put some salad on the plate for the exact reason you mentioned...to make the bad food "seem" better. That's not what this is about. It's about a variety of food on ONE PLATE. Period.

Thanks!

BrightAngel

Re: Pizza, Sushi and why I love No-S

Post by BrightAngel » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:50 pm

NoelFigart, Way To Go !!! Image
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:02 am

Yes, way to go! :D