Teeth

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

ARG

Teeth

Post by ARG » Tue May 17, 2011 8:51 pm

Hi guys

I'm nearly 3 weeks into no-s after a botched start a while ago.

Everything is going great,using a calendar to help keep me on track which is helping loads.

I do have one issue and that is recently i have had bleeding gums and a yucky taste in my mouth like u get when u haven't brushed your teeth,morning breath all day if u like,my fiancee is experiencing the same thing as well.

Were sticking to three meals a day and learning our portion sizes,breakfast is usually porridge or a fried breakfast,lunch is soup and a sandwich or a sandwich,our main meals are always different.

I have tried to up my water intake but it doesn't seem to help.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I'm starting to think its a vitamin deficiency,anyone else had this a side effect of no-s?

Please help.

Nicest of the Damned

Re: Teeth

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Tue May 17, 2011 9:01 pm

ARG wrote:Hi guys

I'm nearly 3 weeks into no-s after a botched start a while ago.

Everything is going great,using a calendar to help keep me on track which is helping loads.

I do have one issue and that is recently i have had bleeding gums and a yucky taste in my mouth like u get when u haven't brushed your teeth,morning breath all day if u like,my fiancee is experiencing the same thing as well.

Were sticking to three meals a day and learning our portion sizes,breakfast is usually porridge or a fried breakfast,lunch is soup and a sandwich or a sandwich,our main meals are always different.

I have tried to up my water intake but it doesn't seem to help.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I'm starting to think its a vitamin deficiency,anyone else had this a side effect of no-s?

Please help.
I certainly didn't have anything like this from No S. My dentist remarked, at my first cleaning after starting No S, that my teeth were cleaner than they had been before. I'd consult a dentist or doctor about this if I were you or your fiancee.

If you're worried about a vitamin deficiency, try taking a multivitamin daily.

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Tue May 17, 2011 11:00 pm

Get thee to a dentist! Don't share a toothbrush..in fact, get new toothbrushes! You sure don't want to end up with a serious gum issue.. good luck!
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think another negative thought."
Peace Pilgrim

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Wed May 18, 2011 12:45 am

I'm going to go out on a limb, and suggest that not eating sweets is not what's wrong with your teeth.

Make a dental appointment, ASAP!

ARG

Post by ARG » Wed May 18, 2011 6:00 am

Hi

First off thanks for the quick replys.

I'm off to buy a multivitamin today and im going to track my water intake to make sure i'm taking in what i think im taking in.

I will give it till the end of the month and if it doesnt improve ill get to a dentist.

Getting bad teeth by NOT eating sugar now that's weird!
Thanks

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed May 18, 2011 9:21 am

I don't think your problem with your teeth/gums is related to No-S in any way.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Wed May 18, 2011 10:21 am

I can't think of what vitamin you are missing by giving up snack foods or sweets.

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Wed May 18, 2011 11:26 am

I'm with wosnes; I don't think this has anything to do with No-S. It sounds like gingivitis or periodontitis from your description, caused by build up of bacteria on the teeth. My guess would be that the symptoms were already there; they're just more noticeable because you're more aware of your mouth when you're not eating.

As suggested above, clean your teeth thoroughly, floss if you can, try an antibacterial mouthwash and see a dentist.
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Wed May 18, 2011 1:04 pm

I'm going to say it more clearly.

Quit delaying.

See a dentist.

Now.

Sienna

Post by Sienna » Wed May 18, 2011 1:22 pm

I agree with the previous posters who have said to go see a dentist. I am not a dentist, but I used to do periodontal (gum) research - and while I don't think you need to be in full panic mode, it does sound serious enough that you should book an appointment as soon as possible. Gum health is incredibly important and can be indicative of overall health. Even though NoS is a fairly mild diet change - its probably worthwhile to mention it at your annual physical - just to cover your bases.

I'll add that while not eating sweets probably isn't having a huge effect on your gum health, not eating snacks *might* be. Chewing can actually break up bacterial biofilms that form on teeth - which is why some people recommend chewing gum between meals. However, I think that it is highly unlikely that that is the only thing at play here. Which is why seeing a dentist is so important.
Finally a diet that I can make a lifestyle!

Started June 2010
6/27/2010 - 226 lbs
10/17/2010 - 203 lbs - 10% weight loss goal!
1/29/2011 - 182 lbs - 2nd 10% weight loss goal!
5/29/2011 - 165 lbs - 3rd 10% weight loss goal! (one more to go)

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Wed May 18, 2011 1:42 pm

ARG wrote:I will give it till the end of the month and if it doesnt improve ill get to a dentist.
I'd skip this step, and make a dentist appointment now. Tell the person you talk to on the phone at the dentist's office about the problems you're having.

Clarica

Post by Clarica » Wed May 18, 2011 7:31 pm

Things to think about: Is hunger a constant issue, or just a few times a day? Other than habit, have you checked for weight loss? Other than the bleeding gums (which I do think you might want to see a dentist about) the taste in your mouth made me think of ketosis--which is a metabolic state that occurs when fat is broken down. It can cause bad breath-acetone is the molecule created that causes bad breath.

Now ketosis usually only happens when you're losing weight quite rapidly. Some people want to, and it's not impossible, but it isn't a sustainable habit. If your eating habits right now are satisfying enough that you could happily maintain them indefinitely, then you're probably doing ok, but if you find yourself thinking, "when I've lost x amount then I'll be able to stop" you probably have cut down your calorie intake quite drastically, and are calorie restriction dieting in addition to using no s, just without the math.

Some people do use these habits to reach a goal and then quit, because it was so hard. But if it's so hard you have to quit, you've gone overboard.

I don't know if this describes what your're going through, with regard to weight loss and constant hunger in addition to bad breath. If not feel free to disregard!