New to No S. NOT new to Dieting!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

operababe

New to No S. NOT new to Dieting!

Post by operababe » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:16 am

Hello,

I'm 47 and have a lot of weight to lose. I've tried and failed many times with: Weight Watchers (4 attempts), South Beach, No-Grain Diet, Raw Food Vegan Diet, Atkins, and Overeaters Anonymous (2 attempts). I now weight 255 lbs, am 5'7", and would like to lose at least 100 lbs. I know that this is going to take a long time, at least 2 years, and then it's going to be a lifestyle that I want to stick with for the rest of my life.

Why do I feel this time is different? I think the biggest reason is that I used food to cope during a bad, neglectful, emotionally abusive 20-year marriage that I stuck with because I didn't want to hurt my children. I really put up with a lot. My husband and I separated May 1st. Just one month ago. On May 1st I weighed 262 lbs. Since then I've lost 7 lbs mostly because I've stopped snacking. I used to snack almost non-stop every night after dinner until I went to bed. I was coping, but it was costing me my health, and creating more and more embarrassment as I got larger and larger.

I came upon the No S Diet about 2 weeks ago, and I've been popping in every so often to see what's being discussed. I like what this plan is about. It's simple, it's sane, and I've been following it for 10 days now. I'm thrilled that there is finally a very do-able way of eating that allows me to become a healthier person. Thank you Reinhard. Thank you No S group. I'm glad to be here.

Judith
It's time to make it beautiful.

pangelsue

Welcome

Post by pangelsue » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:03 am

Hi Operababe,
Welcome and what an interesting intro. You will like it here, I'm sure. It is a supportive group. I agree with you that the diet is straight forward and for me it allowed me to stop obsessing about food and diets. I also like that a respite is always only 5 days away at the most. It sounds like it is time for you to enjoy life and this is a great first step. Be kind to yourself and lose weight!! How great can it get???

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:43 pm

Hi Operababe.

Your resume of past diets sounds extremely familiar. But, I have to confess that my Raw Food/Vegan diet would usually last only for breakfast!!! :lol:

Seriously, we are really happy to have you here. I have been eating this way for a year now and can honestly say that I don't crave sugar anymore. I still like it, but it's not the center of my universe.

The thing about No S is that it's a gentle way to implement lifelong changes. It is slower then a diet because it isn't really a diet. It seems like you are coming in with an open mind and realistic expectations.

I wish you the best on this journey. Dru

cab54

Post by cab54 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:49 pm

Hi, Judith! I could almost have written your post, as a LOT of my eating has been emotional, and I've tried just about every diet or exercise craze. My hubby went through a lot of hell with depression and ANGER, and took all of us (kids and me) on a fun ride with him for over 20 years. I'm one of the lucky ones I guess, cause he got help, and we're pretty OK now.

I'm so glad that you're out of that part of your life (me too!) and can focus on your own health! I have been doing this for a few weeks and am seeing some progress and a pant size drop! :D

The nice thing is this is so NORMAL. This is really how we ate when I was a kid and it's like 'going home'!

Good luck and I'll be watching for your posts!
Cheryl

Starting weight--200 (gah!)
Currently--185
Goal weight--135, or wherever I end up

operababe

Post by operababe » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:42 pm

Thank you for the warm welcomes Pangelsue, Dru, and Cab54! I think it's important when we share our stories so that others can see that we're not alone in our struggles. If someone is dealing with a situation similar to ours and is managing their weight, I know it really gives me hope and inspiration. If she/he can do it, so can I!

Thanks again to all of you!
It's time to make it beautiful.