Mad Monday

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

mommashell

Mad Monday

Post by mommashell » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:12 pm

: Ok, this is definitely a no s day but I'm really ticked off because the other day I was having one of my famous movement minutes. Making salsa and dancing around while cutting up vegetables. I couldn't help it, John Lennon was on singing revolution and well... I just couldn't help it. Anyway, something snapped in my knee and it hasn't worked right since. It hurts to bend it and so when I walk I have the peg leg thing going on, so exercise is out. And now I'm up to 229 which is what I weighed in November. Apparently this kind of happend a month ago, no like two or three weeks. And I've been bouncing around in the upper 20's now for a while and I'm so frustrated because I know this is partly a stress thing and partly a being 35 thing and partly because I can't just walk and do exercise like a "normal" person. And the pain in my leg doesn't just effect my leg, it effects *everything* and som I just hurt and so I'm trying to move past this and go, ok, what *can* I do, rather than thinking about what *can't I do. My mother in law was over yesterday and it was mostly a good visit, but she has real issues with how clean or unclean my house is. I don't mean that in a dirogitory way. The issues are definitely real. The house is messy a lot of times. It just always seems like she's almost mad at me about the whole thing, but just never quite saying it. So I guess you could say there is tention. i was embarrassed and at the same time grateful, that she actually swept my floor yesterday. Apparently there was a lot of stuff that I litterally wasn't stepping on and so didn't notice. Buz had apparently chewed up a pull-up and there were pop corn cournels which I sort of knew about but didn't realize I hadn't gotten them all. So I was ashamed and grateful all at the same time, and I feel like the constant undertone is always you *should* be doing better, especially since the kids are both in school. I'm attempting to tell myself that just because I catch flack from Wally and indirectly from his mom doesn't mean *I* have to feel bad. There are a lot of things that tend to work against me. So maybe this week I will really try to remember to sweep under stuff. Really, I'm serious, if I don't trip over it, and sometimes even when I do, it doesn't exist.
I'm starting to feel sleepy and believe it or not I haven't had breakfast, the pain in my leg was making me a little queezy. Well gee I must be having some serious pain issues although my leg isn't really hurting right at the moment because it's still. But it *has* been acting bad all morning. I just fell asleep sitting here, so I think I'm going to get up and feed my poor growling tummy. And yes,k the reces's are gone. So now I can move on and my goal is to have five nos days in a row. This is going to be hard for me but definitely not as hard as starving to death or being limited.
Or rather being limited as to *which* foods you can have.
SHell

mommashell

Re: Mad Monday

Post by mommashell » Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:42 pm

I just read this post and realized there were typos in it. I'm very sorry for that. Anyway, I guess this should be in the check in part of the list but I have enough trouble dealing with one forum let alone a bunch of them. So I'm just writing to say I just had lunch and I haven't snacked. Yay me!! Leg still hurts though. I'm just trying to stay off of it which is hard because I keep thinking, you know, I should be doing something. I took a bath because I didn't trust my leg in the shower. It probably would have been fine but I just didn't trust it.
Anyway, have a great day!
Shell
mommashell wrote:: Ok, this is definitely a no s day but I'm really ticked off because the other day I was having one of my famous movement minutes. Making salsa and dancing around while cutting up vegetables. I couldn't help it, John Lennon was on singing revolution and well... I just couldn't help it. Anyway, something snapped in my knee and it hasn't worked right since. It hurts to bend it and so when I walk I have the peg leg thing going on, so exercise is out. And now I'm up to 229 which is what I weighed in November. Apparently this kind of happend a month ago, no like two or three weeks. And I've been bouncing around in the upper 20's now for a while and I'm so frustrated because I know this is partly a stress thing and partly a being 35 thing and partly because I can't just walk and do exercise like a "normal" person. And the pain in my leg doesn't just effect my leg, it effects *everything* and som I just hurt and so I'm trying to move past this and go, ok, what *can* I do, rather than thinking about what *can't I do. My mother in law was over yesterday and it was mostly a good visit, but she has real issues with how clean or unclean my house is. I don't mean that in a dirogitory way. The issues are definitely real. The house is messy a lot of times. It just always seems like she's almost mad at me about the whole thing, but just never quite saying it. So I guess you could say there is tention. i was embarrassed and at the same time grateful, that she actually swept my floor yesterday. Apparently there was a lot of stuff that I litterally wasn't stepping on and so didn't notice. Buz had apparently chewed up a pull-up and there were pop corn cournels which I sort of knew about but didn't realize I hadn't gotten them all. So I was ashamed and grateful all at the same time, and I feel like the constant undertone is always you *should* be doing better, especially since the kids are both in school. I'm attempting to tell myself that just because I catch flack from Wally and indirectly from his mom doesn't mean *I* have to feel bad. There are a lot of things that tend to work against me. So maybe this week I will really try to remember to sweep under stuff. Really, I'm serious, if I don't trip over it, and sometimes even when I do, it doesn't exist.
I'm starting to feel sleepy and believe it or not I haven't had breakfast, the pain in my leg was making me a little queezy. Well gee I must be having some serious pain issues although my leg isn't really hurting right at the moment because it's still. But it *has* been acting bad all morning. I just fell asleep sitting here, so I think I'm going to get up and feed my poor growling tummy. And yes,k the reces's are gone. So now I can move on and my goal is to have five nos days in a row. This is going to be hard for me but definitely not as hard as starving to death or being limited.
Or rather being limited as to *which* foods you can have.
SHell

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:19 am

Hi Shell :)
Don't worry about typos or anything else!
Take care of yourself and hope your knee heals soon..
Perhaps an ace bandage would be good for a little extra support?
Have a good week.
Peace and Love,
8) Deb
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

mommashell

Post by mommashell » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:08 pm

Dear Deb, Yeah, I think I will get my hated old brace and put it on. I don't like it and it's uncomfortable as anything you could ever imagine but maybe it will help. If this doesn't go away in a few more days I'm going to see Dr. Stewert, who I go to and complain to sometimes, and he is supposed to take care of my knee, but he just hands me perscriptions and wants me to get surgery soon, but says we must milk my knee for all it's worth. This is another big reason why I'm trying to find a diet/lifestyle that I can actually stick to I survived the night without snacking and this morning I picked up a bag of tortilla chips that one of my kids left out and didn't even taste them to see if they were stale. I also didn't snack in the middle of the night. I forgot to drink one of my bottles of water, but it will even out. How much water do the rest of you guys drink? i have heard everything from don't drink too much water to you should drink half as many ounces as your body weight. So if you're like me and weigh 229 then you should drink like 115 ozs of water a day. Hey. I have trouble with just 64. I think I'd positively float away drinking that much.
Shell.
gratefuldeb67 wrote:Hi Shell :)
Don't worry about typos or anything else!
Take care of yourself and hope your knee heals soon..
Perhaps an ace bandage would be good for a little extra support?
Have a good week.
Peace and Love,
8) Deb
Last edited by mommashell on Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

operababe

Post by operababe » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:42 pm

Hi Mommashell,

I try to drink at least 6 glasses per day and more if I've exercised. But I put the emphasis on TRY, because most days I probably get 4 glasses. But I keeping trying!
It's time to make it beautiful.

pangelsue

Post by pangelsue » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:07 pm

I forget to drink so I don't always do too well in that department but I try.

That mother-in-law sounds a little daunting to me. With your knee out, what are you supposed to do? I have knee issues and I can't get under much to clean. My husband does most of that and I do him favors like making his favorite meals and stuff or ironing (which he hates). I was so lucky with my mother-in-law. You could have eaten off her floors, which was not the case at our house. She never said a word. I have no idea if it bothered her or not. Lucky, I know. Miss her. My mom was the same way. Anyway, ignore her and like who you are. She probably never danced to John Lennon while making salsa. Too bad for her. She will have memories of a clean house. Nice but boring. Like yourself. We all do. You sound like me. A little bit of a loose cannon but certainly never boring.

Mia21972

Post by Mia21972 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:31 pm

I read somewhere that you should take your weight in pounds and divide it by 2. That amount, in ounces, is how much water your body needs to operate at maximum efficiency. I quite easily get down 10 bottles a day, I did 15 bottles two days in a row and that was a little rough, but 10 is easy.

If you can develop a taste for it at room temperature and give yourself three or four days of uninhibited bathroom trips, you can retrain your body to not only drink that much water, but actually crave it. Start at 8 AM and drink one bottle every hour. If you look a the clock and see that it is nly 10 minutes to the end of the hour, chug the remainder of that bottle stat! :-)

My knuckles, knees and ankles don't hurt when I drink all of my water and I just feel better if I eat more than I shohuld if I get all that water in- and out! Be sure to eat a banana or take a potassium supplement, water takes it out of you and you'll get tired and crampy without it.

Happy Chugging! ~Mia
My avatar is my inspiration~ I want to be able to play with my niece without my belly getting in the way!

Steve

Post by Steve » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:36 pm

The best way I've found to increase my water intake is not to try and drink 8 (or whatever number) individual glasses, but to have a big water bottle (1 liter or 32+ ounces) on my desk at work. It's easier to drink water when you have it sitting there than when you have to get up, get a glass, etc. Some days I get through two whole fillings of it just during the workday.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:33 pm

Yes, this works for me too, and I also agree with the comment before about drinking it at room temp... you can get much more down that way without your throat closing up and your brain freezing! LOL..
Plus it's very important to have good tasting clean water..
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

cookie monster

Post by cookie monster » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:59 am

Hey mommashell, if you're having trouble finding ways to exercise with your bad knee, you could try something a little different from what you may usually do.

I used to be very into running, but when I started having problems with my ACL my daily runs came to a hault. The physical therapist I saw recommended that I try weight lifting as a way to stay fit and maintain my endurance while I healed. Now the weight lifting she said to do was nothing intense: I did low weights with high reps. And I could sit down doing them, so as to not stress my leg any further. Even if it means picking up a five pound weight in each hand and doing running arms during all the commercials of your favorite show--it's still multitasking, right? :D Good luck, and stay strong!

mommashell

water

Post by mommashell » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:27 pm

cookie monster wrote:Hey mommashell, if you're having trouble finding ways to exercise with your bad knee, you could try something a little different from what you may usually do.

I used to be very into running, but when I started having problems with my ACL my daily runs came to a hault. The physical therapist I saw recommended that I try weight lifting as a way to stay fit and maintain my endurance while I healed. Now the weight lifting she said to do was nothing intense: I did low weights with high reps. And I could sit down doing them, so as to not stress my leg any further. Even if it means picking up a five pound weight in each hand and doing running arms during all the commercials of your favorite show--it's still multitasking, right? :D Good luck, and stay strong!
What works best, when I remember to do it, is to drink a 20-24 oz bottle of water every mean. Now it doesn't have to be drunk before I get up from the table just as long is gone before I consume the next meal. This keeps me fuller longer. And that way I get my 64 ozs and then some. I also tend to drink it at room temp because I forget to put them in the ice maker to cool them, and so will drink a bottle and then refill it from the water cooler.
Shell