Story snacks

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

jackn

Story snacks

Post by jackn » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:58 am

Once you become aware of the madness and blindness of contemporary culture, every day brings its wealth of observations and anecdotes.

One thing that NoS does is help one dodge the onslaught of the food and movement environment of this culture. Hence the relevance of such observations.
Most of all, however, I feel such observations and anecdotes, such story snacks, could bolster your commitment to developing a sane relationship with food and movement.
And sharing such story snacks would be fun.
Oh, yes, another wholesome S.

In the following post, I offer one such story snack.
Will you share yours?

jackn

Elevator

Post by jackn » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:19 pm

A colleague took the elevator on the ground floor.
A five-story building.

To my surprise, I next saw him emerge out of the elevator on the third floor. I had assumed he was taking the elevator to the top as all colleagues do.

The first thought that occurred to me was that the colleague took up walking up the stairs as a form of exercise, and that walking up only two floors was an initial phase in the practice.

No such thing.
The colleague turned left, got out of the building and headed for a class on the same floor in an adjacent building.

The colleague happens to be considerably overweight and probably obese. His complexion seems sickly, perhaps with a bluish tinge. He breathes heavily even when walking leisurely. I'm stopping short here, having already said too much perhaps.

It's likely that he was simply saving the walk up the stairs of even two or three floors (I'm actually not sure).

Please believe me, I'm not judging.
Well, to the extent humanly possible, and to the extent that I'm aware. In any case, my point in sharing this here is not to self-righteously wag my finger at him. I've gone through so many binges for so long, that I can only see a fellow traveler and my own potential end.
Rather, I think we're both struggling with a poisonous environment. Yes, I'm responsible, and I should defend myself against this poison, but it's helpful to recognize this environment for what it is.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:05 pm

I must be reading this wrong. Where is the snack story? And how could he head into a class in another building if he got out on the 3rd floor? Sorry for being thick.

When I saw the title, I thought you might have found out that some kids in preschool were being offered snacks to eat while story time was going on. Because, you know, kids don't get enough snacks...
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

jackn

Post by jackn » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:45 pm

Hi, oolala.
This is funny, about the kids.
Which brings up another story snack I've got to tell first...
I'm teaching at a Catholic school.
We have a team in charge of religious life.
Boy, do they push sweets on the kids.
The posters announcing their activities feature pictures of the cross and Coke bottles... with the latter larger than the former...
Speaking of sacrilege.

And I'd say, more generally that one of the many failures of religions in our time is their obliviousness to the food crisis.
As if body and soul had nothing to do with each other, as if gluttony weren't one of the seven deadly, as if overeating weren't one sort of idolatrous practice...

Oh, yes, and of course vending machines peddling poison candy all over the place.
Minor detail, they of course contribute to the school's revenue.
And, I hate to say, when I'm not doing well, I go for the poison myself.

Anyway, back to the elevator story.
Sorry for not having been clear.
Let's see.
First, by 'snack story' I do not mean 'a story about snacks' (although it could be).
I rather mean one of two things:
a. It's a little satisfying anecdote, sort of a mental snack; and
b. It's an observation about our sick food and movement culture, one salient feature of which is ongoing grazing, often in the form of snacks. So, in this sense, snacks epitomize the malaise, though they are but one feature thereof.
And the elevator story is about one seemingly ordinary, daily conduct, as seen by our culture. In
But really the terrible physical shape, the need to take the elevator, shock and sadden me.
Humanity has never before been there.
So the elevator story is a snack story in the sense defined above.

Hope I got that one cleared up.
Now, to the elevator story itself.

You ask, and rightly so, 'And how could he head into a class in another building if he got out on the 3rd floor?'
The high school campus is built on a hillside.
So, when he got out of the building, he didn't step out into air, but rather into another plane, higher than that of the ground floor. A new ground floor, if you like.
The ground floor of some buildings is at the same height as some higher floor of other buildings.
At the plane he found himself in upon getting out on the third floor, two other buildings start from the ground floor...

Yes, it's such a daily reality to me, oolala, that I didn't realize I wasn't clear.
Thanx for your help, and hope it sets things straight.

Did you use to be a French teacher, oolala?
By the way, I'm pushing 58 here, and glad to see you're 62.

Sarah-lara

Post by Sarah-lara » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:27 pm

Sorry, but stories like that just make me worry someone is watching me that closely and writing about my shortcomings somewhere. It really does seem judgmental.

jackn

Muffin

Post by jackn » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:23 am

Fair enough, Sarah-Lara.

Otherwise, though, what is it?
That we see but don't judge, that we see and judge and don't say, or that we don't see?!
For my part, I see and I feel that, for one thing, these things reflect a sick culture, and, for another, to the extent that it's about personal shortcomings, and I do think it is that, too, then I remember all too well my own and I think everyone is where they're at and has their journey.

To you, what's a good way of looking at it? Will you teach me?

Anyway, I don't know if this one works better for you, but it's about me.

So, a few days ago.
I'm at a coffee and pastry place.
Usually, I don't go in there and I'm not familiar with any of their pastry.
I'm on my third, or is it fourth, and the saleswoman does raise her eyebrows when I approach the counter yet again.
But I'm beyond stopping.
None of what I'd had to that point was tasty or satisfying.
And it's not like there's no pastry that I like.
But I guess much of it I don't really.
But there I was, numb, ordering the chocolate muffin.

Well, a muffin is a muffin, isn't it?!
Eh, not in France, where I live.
It looked like one, but had a chocolate creamy heart.
I felt it as soon as I bit into it, and it wasn't good news.
Not only did it mean I didn't 'get' a muffin, but also it was probably very poor cooking chocolate of some sort.
In short, if pleasure and satisfaction were any guidance, I'd drop the thing like a hot potato.
But, no, down it went.

And, though I feel sober and detached from it right now, past experience tells me I can't say it won't happen again.

If this kind of sharing is displeasing to people, I'll gladly stop.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:51 am

I think there are very few of us who have not eaten something we weren't really enjoying, and not just once. In fact, at one point, Reinhard made a podcast about a new mod (for down the line) on S days- I don't remember exactly what the mod was but the problem was "joyless" eating. I think it was more about things like standing in front of a cupboard and dipping into all the packages. Did it many times! Theoretically allowable but not really in the spirit of No S. But no reason to make a mod until something has proved an enduring issue.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

jackn

Post by jackn » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:43 am

Thank you, oolala.
It helps.

And, it feels like NoS, merely having a framework but the specifics thereof, and, then, the daily check-in and forum converation are helpful to me.

I like the phrase 'joyless eating'.
Powerful.

Would you care to explain 'There is no S better than Vanilla No S'?

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:22 pm

I work in a three story building ,on the third floor. I have to carry a very heavy rolling suitcase to work with charts, medical equipment, etc. It forces me to take elevator. Every day, at least one person gets on with me and gets out on the second floor. They are always very overweight. I try not to judge,but there are days where I can't help but think" REALLY??!". Maybe they have knee pain or something going on that I don't know about, but I doubt all of these people do. I would never make them feel guilty. I just smile and say have a nice day. :D

jackn

Post by jackn » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:02 pm

Thanx, MaggieMae.

It's amazing to me how this has become about judgment.

To me, it's about our culture.
How that particular colleague got to be like that, how all of this is taken as 'normal'...
And, if anything, it's perhaps more shocking that to all of my colleagues, with no exception, a few tens of them, it seems to go without saying that they should take the elevator (to the top, fifth floor).

Our health, our strength are taken for granted and only spoilsports bother us about exercise and movement.
The debilitating diseases that assail the industrial world, the handing over of all management to pill-pushing doctors, all of this is so part and parcel of the landscape that it seems 'natural'.

And the stores are overflowing with poison food, with a few token real foods to greenwash it all, and of poor quality at that.

There's also a bright side to all of this: it's all in our hands. I
t's not hard to become aware, it's possible for grassroots, communal education and mutual support to allow us to become autonomous, healthy, active and strong again.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:36 am

We here are trying to do this, and it is laudable, but I know there are some people who do believe it is also going to be crucial that there are more cultural and public policy supports for better environments, namely Dr. Deborah Cohen and Brian Wansink, who believe that personal responsibility should be only part of the solution. In the mean time, long live No S! (Cohen recommends three meals and no snacking, too. )
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Sarah-lara

Post by Sarah-lara » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:34 pm

If by "grassroots communal education" you mean telling the people you think should be on the stairs to get off the elevator, please remember shaming as a public health incentive does not work.

Here's an old Carolyn Hax on the issue. I remember when it ran originally in the Post, people in the comments section listed the reasons they took the elevator. They ranged from their floor's door being locked in the stairwell to a number of injuries and illnesses that aren't visible.
http://www.arcamax.com/healthandspirit/ ... x/s-675917

jackn

Post by jackn » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:59 pm

Dear Sarah-Lara,
are you listening?

Please study what I said above, as otherwise this is not a two-way conversation.

By 'grassroots communal education' I mean that people can teach each other when they come together, as they have done throughout history, and as they still do, either face to face or online.
I mean communities and support groups.

I couldn't have possibly meant shaming anyone in public.
For one, I emphasized that what I saw was the culture issue, not the individual.
Indeed, I'm fully aware that I don't know what got him to his present state and why he took the elevator.
Except, that is, that I'm quite sure that in traditional culture, he wouldn't end up that way.

For another thing, how could I possibly wish to judge, let alone shame, anyone when I'm all too familiar with my own weekly binges, not to mention everything else on my conscience?
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:37 pm

Jack, I don't know what's going on here, but I didn't assume you were going to sneer at your colleague then or later. And I did think you explained yourself that you were analyzing what has become the default in our society. Seeing those defaults for what they are is quite valuable to use them to propel our own behavior, which I am willing to give you the benefit of the doubt for doing.

Societal policies that have led to so many problems in maintaining simple health for many don't excuse individuals from making efforts to counteract them, but I too agree that most obese people in our culture would not have gotten that way if they were in an environment in which almost everybody valued moderate eating and moderate exertion AND the physical environment encouraged it. Nearly all the Blue Zones, areas of the world in which healthy old age is much more common than here, are in rather mountainous terrain where people do the equivalent of climbing many floors every day. They scoff at the idea of running marathons, but they get out and traipse around the hillsides right up through their nineties. Unfortunately for us, we have to find ways to simulate that. I who work at a site with many one-story sections envy people who get to climb stairs routinely, though I recognize that people, including me, have their own reasons for not taking advantage all the time. But in honestly most of us could more often than we do. :wink:
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:54 pm

Speaking of a story-snack, I was out with a friend for lunch yesterday. She had a knee replacement recently and is still recovering. We were having an early lunch and split an entree. It's my preference normally, and my friend was willing because she said her meds had dampened her appetite. I was talking about recent changes realizing I had been eating way more than I was hungry for, etc., when I suddenly felt very bad that I may have been a little louder than I meant to be. There was only one other table with customers, one of which was a wife who was quite obese. I prayed that I was quieter than I had suddenly suspected, since they, too, had been having conversation at times without our hearing it; I really never want to deny someone else's pleasure when eating, even if a part of me has that nagging voice that I believe most of our culture has blabbing away about how restaurants push too much food on us and on and on.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

jackn

Post by jackn » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:11 pm

Yummy snack, oolala.

Just noticed.
Congrats for your March 16 BMI.

You started six years ago, and you're still at it, and going strong.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

Merry

Post by Merry » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:58 am

On the subject of stairs--I live in a 2-story where I work upstairs but the kitchen and laundry are downstairs (and I homeschool downstairs)--so I am up and down the stairs multiple times per day. I don't ever really think about it--but recently when I visited my SIL in her one-story home, I realized that since I didn't *have* to move when I'm there, I often hardly move at all! So weird! I think it was the 3rd or 4th day when I finally went for a walk just to get some movement!

On the subject of culturally acceptable exercise/eating habits...anyone ever see Wall-E? Thought-provoking!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

jackn

Post by jackn » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:55 am

Merry, how interesting.
Yes, exactly Wall-E is the picture I have in mind.

When you start thinking about it, it's all-pervasive.
What about the high school students I see before me, seated almost continuously, going out for lunch at the local greasy spoon eateries, snacking off of the vending machines - one should see the crowd lining up during breaks - all taken to be 'normal', and the students oblivious to the fact that they, too, will grow older, and their bodies won't go on taking abuse forever?!

One of my workouts by the way, when I'm good, is a twenty-minute up-and-down the stairs of a 5-story building.

But, finally, it's not about some olympic strenuous feats, but, rather, precisely the sort of naturally integrated movement that you describe. And talking to each other, and not waiting for 'doctors' and governments to save us.

Thank you for sharing.
I liked it.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:53 am

It drives me crazy that one of the teachers I work with pretty much allows the students to eat all during class. I've worked with other teachers for years and I can honestly say that the demeanor of that classroom is NOT studious. Not to mention that during one period, it is just before the students are allowed a nutrition (that's what they call it- what a joke) break right after the class and the other class is just before lunch. She won't make them wait 55 minutes. Once in awhile, she say put away the food, but nothing real happens if they defy her.

She is slim, after having three children, and I can tell she doesn't eat a real lunch. Snacking has worked for her, and she doesn't see a reason to rein it in.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

jackn

Post by jackn » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:36 pm

Yummy snack.

Or, her way of coping, and thereby staying slim - as opposed to getting all stressed out and needing an outlet, perhaps in the form of food - is to let slide.

The students see no harm in grazing non-stop.
After all, doesn't everybody do it?!

'Nutrition break' - the words, the labels, are so right.

In any case, can school oppose the mindset of the times?
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:46 pm

I think that's giving her too much credit. It may be true that she's not as stressed, but I doubt that is the reason she is slim.

We're just not a good match for a partnership. I have to get through a couple more months. I'm pretty sure I'll have a better pairing next year. And I don't eat over it, thank goodness.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

jackn

Post by jackn » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:20 pm

Good for you, oolala.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

Merry

Post by Merry » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:13 am

oolala53 wrote:It drives me crazy that one of the teachers I work with pretty much allows the students to eat all during class. I've worked with other teachers for years and I can honestly say that the demeanor of that classroom is NOT studious. Not to mention that during one period, it is just before the students are allowed a nutrition (that's what they call it- what a joke) break right after the class and the other class is just before lunch.
LOL, this reminds me of the high school algebra class I had right after lunch--I used to sneak a donut in with me (I say sneak but my teacher usually saw me eating it)! Gracious, no wonder I have weight to lose!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation