using nos for maintenance... advice?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

kaalii

using nos for maintenance... advice?

Post by kaalii » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:23 pm

hi, im 2 weeks into the nos diet... sooooo good! :)

i have never been obese, not even overweight in my life... never ever dieted nor paid attention to how much or what i eat (although im a lacto-ovo vegetarian for almost 22years, but that was for purely environmental reasons and now it is just a good healthy habit)...
but i have always led an active life (dance, theatre, travel (backpacking, not hotels and resorts), music...)... in pregnancy i got a lot (25kg) but lost it in less than a year without trying (breastfed long, though, but that doesnt account for sooooo much calories)... i guess i was just lucky...

but, i guess, the age (38yo) did its thing and the same eating and drinking habits startled me in the mirror one day and i started noticing i'm moving "like an overweight person" - without the, how can i say it, "spark" in my gait... although still safely in the healthy weight range... dancing and theatre experience makes me very aware of the health red flags therough the awareness of the quality of my how i move... i realised i needed some fine-tuning in respect of my health, looks and overall fitness...

so i started calorie counting slow diet as well as the 16/8 intermittent fasting for the first time in my life and lost 8-9kg (18-19lbs) this last year...i reached my goal 4 month ago)... im also doing some walking/jogging in the forest nearby, since im not doing dance nor theatre any more... but i work with children and my job is still pretty active physically...

i am now happy with my look, the quality of my movement, my strength and my stats:
Weight:59.0 kg / 130.1 lbs
Height: 174.0 cm / 5' 9",
BMI: 19.5,
Body Fat: 20.7%

and dont want to count my calories any more!!! so i came accross the nos diet as a "crutch" in the transition (but im still counting calories untill nos-ing catches on - should i stop maybe??)...

how does it work for you guys who are on your target fitness? did nos diet/eating style make you gain some of the weight/body fat back and you made peace with it or do you still stick with your goal?

and, more importantly - because i havent reached my goal with nos diet but with calorie counting - do you have any special advice for me for maintenance? something to look out for?
:)
Last edited by kaalii on Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rikki

Post by Rikki » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:46 am

What helped me was sticking to the same portion sizes of food everyday and roughly estimating the calories in each meal so I don't go overboard. It was really easy because I don't eat that differently everyday. There's no need to be anal about calories, just sticking to the same portion sizes during meals helps :)

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:30 am

Welcome! I am someone who has lost and maintained a low end of healthy BMI with No S alone (I'm a refugee from calorie accounting). No S is a moderate, sustainable way of eating, so will give moderate, sustainable results.

I have a very hard time gaining and keeping muscle, so will never have a very small body fat %. But results like feeling peaceful about food at any occasion mean just as much. And I feel like I'm modelling normal eating behaviour for my kids.

From calorie counting I did learn tricks for creating balanced plates and satisfying meals, so bring skill like that with you.

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:52 pm

thank you!! :)

yes,portion sizes! noS does the rest!
ironchef wrote:
From calorie counting I did learn tricks for creating balanced plates and satisfying meals, so bring skill like that with you.
yes, portion quality is what i did learn too... and how much it also influences my hunger throughout the day...

let's see...
this nos diet is such a nice discovery to me!
thank you! :)