Alcohol consumption

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

lgonzalez

Alcohol consumption

Post by lgonzalez » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:10 pm

Question: If I decide to have 1 or 2 glasses of wine per day, is dinnertime best? It seems like it would need to be part of my dinner since the plan says "no snacking". I would think after dinner wine would be snacking. What does anyone else do?

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:45 pm

The no s diet per se doesn't count beverages as food -- unless they are loaded with sugar, in which case they are sweets, or loaded with sugar and rather massy, like shakes or smoothies in which case they are possible 2 or more esses combined.

There is a companion system I follow called "glass ceiling" which is a 2 drink per day maximum for alcoholic beverages. It's been fantastically effective for me in avoiding drunkenness, which used to be a problem for me, but I do sometimes worry that I'm brushing right up against that ceiling a little too frequently, and that maybe that isn't so moderate or healthy.

A "variable height" glass ceiling might elegantly solve that issue, (say max 1 drink on N days, 2 on S) but I haven't been able to persuade myself to follow that yet.

I don't have any restrictions on when these alcoholic beverages can be consumed. It's usually with dinner. Sometimes before, while cooking. Sometimes after, watching a movie or show with my wife, or meeting a friend out for a drink.

Hope this helps and best of luck whatever you decide!

moonbat69

Post by moonbat69 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:39 am

For my first few weeks, I'm not going to concern myself with alcohol so much. Excessive use is a separate problem and it seems like adding another level of complexity is kind of going against the underlying concepts No S.

Best wishes..

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:38 am

i have noticed moderation is coming spontaneously in the alcohol consumption too with noS...
i was anyway hardly ever drinking alcohol on weekdays (well, except now on holidays)... i dont like to drink it with the food at all...
but weekends are in general more moderate than pre noS... although sometimes it is more than glass ceiling... :twisted:
BMI: 18.8
Body Fat %: 17.6
in it for maintenance and, more importantly, sanity!!

Nell1223

Post by Nell1223 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:15 pm

I follow the 2 glasses maximum per day rule and although like Reinhard, I push againsft that ceiling sometimes I find it works for me. I really look forward to and enjoy my daily glass of wine or 2 at about 9pm when I sit down and relax in front of the tv

liveitup

Post by liveitup » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:44 pm

I think it's as important to teach each other how to drink. I'm tempted to blame my binging on our societal views here in the US views of drinking is taboo, then you're 21 and in college and party culture takes over. Well, I used it as such anyway.

Isnt it better that we learn the good and bad with alcohol, learn how to keep tabs on it, and stop the binge cycle? I think so.

I drink less I think than I did before No S. BUT, it's spread out. I drink more frequently yes, but I never feel the need to binge anymore. Every couple days I end up taking a break actually from my nightly 2 drinks. Even the 4th was tame for me!

Sorry, on my phone, excuse the typos...

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:32 pm

I think any way you do it so that it doesn't lead to more and more if in keeping with No S.

BTW, I've read that some Ikarians, noted for longevity, have wine at every meal, including breakfast! They aren't necessarily all slim, but they sure, on average, live a long time! And they enjoy the heck out of their eating and relatively simple lives in general. And I'm pretty sure binge drinking just isn't done.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)