Wheels fell off

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Shells

Wheels fell off

Post by Shells » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:43 am

Sooo... have been doing fantastically for the last 6 months? Weight was great. Was sailing along and then about 6 weeks ago life became very stressful and resistance seemed futile! Any tips for getting back on track please?

simmstone

Re: Wheels fell off

Post by simmstone » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:13 pm

First of all, be kind to yourself. Slip-ups happen, and they indicate merely that you are human.

When I encounter times like these, I try to remind myself that I have chosen the least obtrusive system I could find as my 'diet'. It's not like I have to devote extra attention/motivation to keeping perfect compliance with some kind of macronutrient nirvana, or 'superfood' groups. If I do No S correctly, there is little deprivation to tolerate. No S style eating provides adequate food for any given day/any given situation. It isn't extreme, is imminently portable to different circumstances/social situations, and requires no extra time/thought to implement. 3 plates on N days. Rinse. Repeat. This is exactly the kind of system that works well with periods of life that are crazy, stressful, and/or require your attention in other aspects of life.

So what we're really talking about here is avoiding excess on N days. That's really all there is to stick to... in both good times, and bad.

Tough times are going to happen... that is simply part of life. We all know that. But just try to remember that compounding tough times with the false promise of comfort from excess food doesn't do anything but add to the existing problems in an already tough stretch with yet another problem - the feelings, beliefs, self-stigma, and health consequences that surround weight gain/poor eating habits are baggage you probably don't need to add to your haul during this time.

Getting back on track can start as soon as your next meal.

And we both know that, even in the midst of other difficult life events, there might even be 'comfort' in choosing one area where predictability (3 plates per day) can be achieved.

Hoping for better days ahead for you!
"No S is such a good way to combat the randomness, which is often the slide into more and more." - oolala53

Shells

Post by Shells » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:18 pm

Thank you so much. You’re right, it isn’t worth it. I feel dreadful.
In the beginning if it wasn’t on my plate, I didn’t eat it. I then started reading about virtual plating and the wheels fell off for me because although I was usually still waiting between meals, it was a slippery slope as there was no definite beginning or end to that meal. Putting a stake in the ground and reestablishing the habits that worked so well. Thank you!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:28 am

Wow, that was easy! And kudos for the previous six months.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)