baby steps

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

donnao1965

baby steps

Post by donnao1965 » Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:06 pm

i would like the opinion of the group-- what do you guys think about
taking no s in baby steps ?

and by that i mean, for a period of time making my goal to be to
have no snacks between dinner and bedtime only, then as that
becomes a habit add the time period between lunch and dinner-

i have made several attempts at no-s, and i believe that it is the way
that i need to eat, i just can't seem to get more than 2 or 3 days
of no-s ing in a row.

i am wondering if there is merit to my modification, however i don't trust myself not to rationalize my behaviour when it comes to food

Donna O

pangelsue

Post by pangelsue » Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:23 am

I think you have to know what is right for you. This diet has been a different journey for everyone here. I started by giving up one S at a time. I started with no seconds, then no sugar and finally, gave up one snack at a time. Then I did 21 days on plan, cold turkey zip, zip, zip. But after that I started having lots of issues . The current part of the journey I am on is making my No S days all successes. That is currently going very well because A) I finally want it to and B) I have made a solid commitment to write a positive affirmation 100 times if I eat out of plan during the week. It has worked like a charm for 20 days now. (really kills your hand though). I look at the treat and I tell myself, "go ahead and eat it and then get out your pen and start writing." Before the 20 days, I only had to write twice. Once it was "No treat tastes as good as staying on plan feels." The other time I wrote 100 times "Control feels wonderful and makes me feel free" So far it has worked. This idea is not probably right for everyone but for me it seems to be a piece of the puzzle. I have been giving in to the spoiled desires of my inner child for about 50 years and I am ready to make the kid tow the mark and pay the price for a every tantrum. I think I have always known that nothing as simple as a cookie, piece of candy or whatever, has enough power to make me do anything. That would be one VERY powerful cookie. It is me making that decision to overeat over and over and over again. It is not the power of carbs or fat or my mother's training. It's me, just me. That makes me a VERY powerful person. I just need to harness that power for my good, not my destruction. And believe it, it is very self destructive behavior. Until I take responsibility for my actions, nothing will change. It can't happen from without. I have known for a long, long time what is best for my body. I've read all the books and could write my own by now. There is only one thing standing in my way and that is not an all powerful drug present in food that forces me to eat it. It is and always has been me making the wrong decision over and over again. Now it is time to starting making the right decision over and over and over and over again until it comes naturally. That won't be easy. That is hard work and that is the part they don't emphasis enough in any diet. Roll up your sleeves and start acting like you mean to do it this time, and you will. So will I. Good luck on your journey and unlocking your ultimate weapon of mass success.
A lot of growing up happens between "it fell" and "I dropped it."

donnao1965

Post by donnao1965 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:44 pm

pangelsue, which snack did you give up first ?

then second ?

thank you for your reply
Donna O

pangelsue

Post by pangelsue » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:00 pm

Morning snack at work. Then after supper. After work was the hardest because I often work until 6:30. I have lunch at noon and supper at 7. That is kind of a long time. I can do it, but it has been the hardest adjustment.
A lot of growing up happens between "it fell" and "I dropped it."

planner lady

Post by planner lady » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:38 pm

I love the idea of baby steps. I've been trying and trying to do this because I know it is the way to go, but I just haven't been able to do it. I think I'll give the baby steps idea a try, too.

Patty