Multi-tasking??

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

zoolina

Multi-tasking??

Post by zoolina » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:16 pm

I have a question for those who are doing more than one system, whether it's no s and the shovelglove or two other habit building systems at once.

Ok, so I've been no-sing for two weeks, and it's going fairly well. I like it and can see that it will be sucessful, if not in terms of losing weight, at least in controling my tendency to snack uncontrollably and then feel guilty about it. So a few nights ago I decided to try exercising on n days too. Nothing extreme, just a rotation of my physical therapy exercises, some abs exercises, pushups. But today, day 2, is already a failure. And though I was sucessfull at no-sing today, that sucess feels dimmed by my failure at being disciplined with exercise. It seems like I can concentrate on one system, but not two.

Anyone else have this experience? I'm curious how others incorporate more than one habits into their lives, sucessfully.

J Ellis

Post by J Ellis » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:36 am

It sounds a bit early to be throwing in the towel on an exercise program and concluding that you can only focus on one discipline at a time. Many people on this forum have had multiple false starts on the NoS plan, and the decision to incorporate daily exercise is a lifestyle change that will take time (think 21 consecutive days) to fully engraft.

Don't be discouraged, and don't allow your failure to exercise on one day to dull the joy of succeeding at your eating plan on the same day. Remember that self-improvement is a process, not an event.

Keep Moving Forward

Joel

hexagon

Post by hexagon » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:56 am

Hi,

I think it can be kind of difficult to start up a new habit, so I wouldn't beat up on yourself too much (this coming from the girl who beats up on herself all of the time....Do as I say, not as I do....)

Is there any way you can incorporate some exercise into your daily commute? I know this isn't possible for a lot of people, but it really helps me. I also make sure to always climb up the stairs; since I work on the 5th floor of my building, that gives me some exercise on days when I'm not getting enough.

If you're into doing more formal exercises (I actually do some weight-lifting for various reasons as certain parts of my body need to get stronger and I want to stave off osteoporosis), consider hiring a trainer for a few sessions or getting a workout buddy. Yeah, I know, the whole No S and Shovelglove thing is all about "you shouldn't spend your money on something dippy like a gym or a trainer" but I've found it's been helpful when I want to target some parts of my body. In fact, I'm going to probably buy some sessions myself (luckily due to my job I get a big discount), since I moved across the country recently and my routine was kind of zapped. Workout buddies have helped me a lot too.

Good luck!

--H

zoolina

Post by zoolina » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:46 am

For me, exercise is and isn't a problem. I commute to work by bike (total of more than an hour of biking, low-key cardio, five days a week) but with work and family I just don't seem to have time for much more. Yes, this keeps me healthy, but I'd like to be a bit more toned. I just feel better when I am.

I agree that one bad day doesn't mean that I'm not sucessful (actually after I posted I went ahead and did the exercise I had planned!). But I'm concerned about trying to incorporate more than one habit into my life. Doing no-s is challenging, but with focus and discipline, doable. I'm afraid of sabotoging one habit by working in another. Any other tid-bits of wisdom out there?

Z

Rollo

Multi-tasking

Post by Rollo » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:31 pm

Hi Zoo,

My opinion? I suggest taking it one thing at a time. The fact that you commute on a bicycle puts you far and away above the exercise most people do. It does sound to me like you are very motivated but tackling too much at once and not succeeding at anything could be very demoralizing. We want to build morale.

I quit smoking a few months ago. I knew there was no way I could concentrate on both issues. Now that I have the smoking thing beat, I am really ready to concentrate on the weight issues. I did start a fitness & toning routine, about three weeks ago. I go to Curves, which is only a 30 minute workout, 3 times a week, pretty easy to fit into most schedules. However I kind of doubt you have access to that in Amsterdam.
Rollo

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:06 am

It probably is easier to focus on one new behavior at a time until you've habitualized it a bit. I started nos at a few months before I started shovelglove (or even thought of it). It's not like they conflict in any way, but you only have so much willpower to spend, and new habits are expensive in terms of willpower.

One structure I've found helpful to encourage/limit the piling on of new behaviors is "monthly resolution." Every month I ask myself "what's my one new resolution for this month?" Some stick, some don't, but it's no big loss if they don't because next month I get another shot. And because I'm limited to one, I don't overburden myself. If I get several great ideas for new habits, I choose one, and reserve the rest for future months (amazing how ungreat they often seem by then). A month is a much better granularity than the more typical yearly resolution we make on new years, because you can estimate better on that smaller scale, and recover and reset faster. And it's long enough (over 21 days!) for some habituation to occur, even with a slip up or two.

Reinhard

zoolina

Post by zoolina » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:56 am

That's a great idea. I like the way you think, Reinhard.

z.