Tips from the obesity expert

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:06 pm

Found this in USA Weekend. While it's aimed at kids, it works for adults, too, and is complimentary to No-S.

Ban sugary drinks. Studies show that the risk of childhood obesity soars as sweetened soft drink consumption goes up. Limit fruit juice to 1 cup a day.
Restrict fast food consumption to no more than once a week; less is better.
Forget low-fat diets and fat-free foods. Fats actually suppress blood sugar surges and are filling, so kids need to eat some fat to feel full. "Throw away the fat-free dressings," Ludwig says. "Give your kids peanut butter on whole-grain toast for breakfast, avocado dips as an afternoon snack and broccoli sautéed in olive oil for dinner." Avoid harmful trans fats (in many processed foods and baked goods), and don't overindulge in saturated animal fats.
Give kids small portions on small plates. Studies show that everyone is likely to eat more when given large portions.
Be in charge of what you offer your kids to eat at home. If your children reject something, do not offer alternatives. The kids will not starve.
Don't keep junk food in the house. Good snacks: nuts; whole or dried fruit.
Don't watch TV during meals. It leads to inactivity and overeating.

I also found an article on AOL about Dr. Sanjay Gupta's new book, Chasing Life. He recommends not counting calories, eating 7 different colored foods each day, eat slowly, stop eating when you're 80% full and eat the high water content foods before eating more calorie dense foods. He mentions fruits and vegetables, but in terms of dishes, it could be soup and salad.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:43 pm

Thanks for posting these! They all sound sensible to me. Except I'm finding "Be in charge..." to be a lot more difficult than it sounds!

Reinhard

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:10 pm

reinhard wrote:Thanks for posting these! They all sound sensible to me. Except I'm finding "Be in charge..." to be a lot more difficult than it sounds!

Reinhard
You're still the Daddy and it's still the grownups who buy the food. They can't eat what isn't in the house!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:14 pm

I didn't say it was IMPOSSIBLE (or that I'm not, more or less, pulling it off), just that it's (surprisingly) difficult. :-)

Reinhard

Brandon

Post by Brandon » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:59 pm

reinhard wrote:I didn't say it was IMPOSSIBLE (or that I'm not, more or less, pulling it off), just that it's (surprisingly) difficult. :-)

Reinhard
If you mean the temptation to give in to them and let them have McDonalds when they ask for it because they're good kids and so darn cute, then I understand exactly what you mean. It's much easier to be tough on yourself than tough on your own adorable offspring.

tomahawkk

how dp yopu post

Post by tomahawkk » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:06 am

a reply to a particular message, like you just did? Rather than just a general reply (like I just did)?

Brandon

Re: how dp yopu post

Post by Brandon » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:17 pm

tomahawkk wrote:a reply to a particular message, like you just did? Rather than just a general reply (like I just did)?
Use the quote button in the upper right hand corner of the post you want to respond to. HTH.

tomahawkk

Post by tomahawkk » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:39 am

is this it? testing.....

tomahawkk

Post by tomahawkk » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:40 am

too easy!!! thanks!

tomahawkk

Post by tomahawkk » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:41 am

oops! Now I don't see the box....

want2bhealthy

Post by want2bhealthy » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:26 pm

tomahawkk wrote:oops! Now I don't see the box....
i just wanted to try this too. never knew how to do it.
man, i have tried EVERYTHING else, this has to be my last stop.
starting fresh july 1-09
wt 207

want2bhealthy

Post by want2bhealthy » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:26 pm

yea, mine worked.
man, i have tried EVERYTHING else, this has to be my last stop.
starting fresh july 1-09
wt 207