For those of you who live outside the U.S.

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

wosnes

For those of you who live outside the U.S.

Post by wosnes » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:11 pm

I've been wondering about something. I live in a city where the entire metropolitan area is about 1.5 million people. Recently I've realized that at least 4 of our local hospitals have bariatric surgery programs. To me, that seems shocking. Enough people requiring stomach stapling to support 4 hospitals having those programs. Generally speaking, people have to be at least 100 pounds (or about 45.5 Kg or more) overweight.

Is this as common outside the U.S. as it is in the U.S.? My guess is that its not.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

silver

Post by silver » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:47 pm

it's not common. i'm from a small country in europe, not even 6 million people here and i think we have only one of those in the whole country. then again, i have only seen 3 people who might 'need" it in my whole life here. we don't really need it. when i was in the u.s. i was shocked by how big people can get. and how many many many of them. we don't get that here. people snack much less. people eat much less. and people here don't have so much info about all these diets. they don't need it. i mean up till now i don't know, and none of my friends neither, what this "zone" for example is. never heard of it. until i discovered this no-s. first time i've heard about ut here. and we don't really want to know. we heard of atkins but i don't know anybody who tried it. there are people like me who need to loose a few pounds (about 15, would be enough) but not many.

i spend quite some time in germany, spain, france. people just don't get so big there. and thank god, here neither