The 2007 "during" is here!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:00 pm

More beefcake!

More symbolism!

More systems!

More star wars!

http://nosdiet.com/beforeafter.html

Reinhard

mimi

Post by mimi » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:43 pm

They're great Reinhard! You've encompassed everything in that last photo!
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:32 pm

Great photo! :)

You're a great advertisement for the No-S/Shovelglove combo.

hockeystar

Re: The 2007 "during" is here!

Post by hockeystar » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:29 am

reinhard wrote:More beefcake!

More symbolism!

More systems!

More star wars!

http://nosdiet.com/beforeafter.html

Reinhard
I don't know about the other posters, but I really appreciate you putting up your pictures- it really inspires us to keep going when you may feel a bit tired, bored, etc. Great wrok Reinhard, I look forward to more inspiring photos in the future.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:24 pm

I'm glad to hear it! It drives my wife nuts -- good to know someone is getting something out of it. :-)

hockeystar

Post by hockeystar » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:21 pm

reinhard wrote:I'm glad to hear it! It drives my wife nuts -- good to know someone is getting something out of it. :-)
It also makes it easier to convince people to join me in the diet when they can see a concrete picture of the results. Not only that, people who laugh of shovelglove aren't so quick to pass it off when there is physical evidence that it works.

I must add, you're looking even leaner in your most recent pic- did you make any significant changes to do so?

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:53 pm

No significant changes, I just keep gradually getting even more consistent about following my routines (and very, very slowly upping the weight of the sledgehammer, about once every 2 years so far). I also think "more of the same" really is more, that it can take months or years for a behavior to deliver its full results. A guy who does the same manual job for 10 years is going to be better and stronger at it that a guy who's just been at it 6 months. They may, on the surface, be doing the same thing, but practice refines technique in all kinds of subtle ways.

Reinhard

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:54 am

You rock Reinhard!
Sorry it drives your wife nuts
2005 still lookin hawt!
She just don't want others to see!
LOL
Seriously tho..
A picture definitely is worth a thousand words and you are very inspiring to us all!

Happy New Year :wink:
Peace and Love,
Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:22 pm

reinhard wrote:I'm glad to hear it! It drives my wife nuts -- good to know someone is getting something out of it. :-)
*chuckles* Does Mrs. Engels shovelglove? If so, might not wanna be drivin' her too crazy, there.

You know, I love this series. Yeah, you look nice, but that's not the point. What I love about it is showing how important the patient refinement of sticking to something is. Those dramatic before and afters you so often see (Lose 25 lbs in three weeks! All While Eating Loads of Chocolate) aren't things that will last. This is a series over YEARS, each year showing a small improvement. That's awesome.

I was noodling about my workout routine on my LJ today, and pondering a weights routine when Shovelglove got recommended to me. The idea is really spreading, and that's ver' cool.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:19 pm

Mrs. Engels does not shovelglove, alas. But she has recently started doing 14 minutes of exercise along with me (I shovelglove, she does yoga, pilates, whatever). Those of you who are intrigued by shovelglove but find it a little too weird or scary: you can still benefit from the basic structure of 14 minutes every N-day. Making time rather than a particular movement or routine the basis of your routine is hugely beneficial: all those particulars which might not be available ("where's my yoga mat?" "too cold to go to the gym today," "the baby is sleeping in the room with the bike machine and I don't want to wake her," "my ankle hurts so I can't do my sri lankan ninja jumps") and serve as such compelling excuses disappear when the question is simply "do I have 14 minutes to do ANY form of exercise?" If you and your spouse or workout buddy want to keep each other company but do something different, no problem: set the timer and do your individual routines.
You know, I love this series. Yeah, you look nice, but that's not the point. What I love about it is showing how important the patient refinement of sticking to something is. Those dramatic before and afters you so often see (Lose 25 lbs in three weeks! All While Eating Loads of Chocolate) aren't things that will last. This is a series over YEARS, each year showing a small improvement. That's awesome.
Yes, that's precisely the point. I'm as vain as the next guy, but I'm not stupid: if you want to gawk at beautiful people or see striking transformations, the internet is full of far more compelling examples. :-)

Reinhard

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:16 pm

reinhard wrote:I'm as vain as the next guy, but I'm not stupid: if you want to gawk at beautiful people or see striking transformations, the internet is full of far more compelling examples. :-)

Reinhard
I don't know about that... You might be amused to know that one of my friends thought that NoS might not be for her because you looked "Too Hollywood".

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:59 am

Reinhard
I agree with everyone here, thank you for taking the time to share your journey in a visual form with us (and the world). It is so reasuring to see that this truely is a long term success rather than a 5 day wonder.

And thank you once again for sharing this marvellous idea of yours with us.

Have a fantastic 2008 and I hope your book sells out in the first week so they have to print loads and loads more. Have to tell you that here in SA the big book stores already have you up on their websites, so you will be international.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:22 pm

I don't know about that... You might be amused to know that one of my friends thought that NoS might not be for her because you looked "Too Hollywood".
Well, I'm very flattered! It may not be the POINT, but I certainly don't mind :-)
Have a fantastic 2008 and I hope your book sells out in the first week so they have to print loads and loads more. Have to tell you that here in SA the big book stores already have you up on their websites, so you will be international.
Thank you! It is incredible how immediately international publishing is now. I don't know about it selling out the first week (at the moment, far too few people have ever heard about it for that to be much of a possibility), but I'm optimistic it will have a good, long run if it can just get a little initial traction. No-s is not based on trendy notions that are likely to go out of fashion tomorrow or be invalidated by some sudden scientific breakthrough -- and it also happens to work :-)

barbarag

2007 pics

Post by barbarag » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:18 pm

Reinhard,

I am so impressed by your pictures and especially the time you've contributed on your interlinked sites/life habits. Just divorced, this meets my needs for discipline and hope.

Where can I find the recommended starting shovelglove weight for a mature female? Could a shorter tool than a sledgehammer be suitable for a person 5'2"?

Thanks,

Barbara

[/b]

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:23 pm

Hi Barbara :)
I am sure Reinhard will reply but I thought I would chime in here.
I am 5'2 and recommend that rather than looking for a shorter handled tool, you just look for a slightly light one but normal handle length.
Try getting an 8 pound one.
Reason behind this advice is two fold:
1. a normal handle actually allows you to work more from your body and not just from your shoulder, and is much better in terms of not worrying about stuff flying out of your hands.

2. Gives you much better flexibility in terms of being able to change the leverage as you are doing the movements. You can start out gripping the handle in a "choking up" position till you get some strength in your hands and arms and adapt (won't take long!) and then as you develop that grip and strength you can use the longer handle to your advantage to get an even better challenge as you work with your hands a bit further away from the head of the sledge.

Theres some people here who use small hammers. I personally feel a longer one is just better in terms of really having that stability while doing the full body movements, since you use both hands.

Good luck with your new life!
Peace and Love,
Debs 8)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:25 pm

ps.. I forgot to write that the fact that I am 5'2" never had any bearing on the handle issue actually. I mean as long as you go with a standard sledge hammer and not one that's got a five foot long handle or something??
LOL :)

barbarag

8 lb sledge

Post by barbarag » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:47 am

Deb,
Thanks for your reply.
Do you ever worry about accidentally letting go of the handle?
Barbara