NOS and Glass Ceiling

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

infoproj

NOS and Glass Ceiling

Post by infoproj » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:24 pm

I started visiting here after following a link for glass ceiling, thinking that my boozing was out of hand (like most here in the UK!)

So, anyhow, I've had a massive change of lifestyle with the glass ceiling. It has taught me moderation and got me to appreciate what I drink rather than habitually throwing beer down my neck. I have had a couple of lapses but, importantly, it was still a lot less than I usually drink and made me realise how I didn't really like booze as much as I thought I did.

What a fool I've been, lining the landlord's pocket and damaging my liver out of... well habit I guess.

Anyhow, was half heartedly following the NOS diet (ie failing!) but got to thinking how deprivation of 2 things at once seemed doomed to failure.

But here's my plan.

I NOS through the week (N days) where I also have my evening drink or 2. At weekends I don't have a drink (now no longer feel the knee-jerk weekend binge mentality) and instead use my S day treats instead.

So the moderate drinking gets me through the N day drudgery and my S Day treats give my liver a break.

I think a definite ying/yang thing going on here which is already paying dividends. Looking forward to seeing how my Summer cycling will improve as a result!

Cheers!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:35 pm

Good luck, infoproj!

I've been amazed at what a difference "glass ceiling" has made for me. To think that such a huge, potentially life threatening problem can be solved by a cutesy little pun... but it really has, for me.

The yin/yang sounds appealing... but it is nice to have free weekends on all counts. So by all means give it a shot, but know that if you run into trouble with no drinking on weekends, 7 day a week glass ceiling is still really very reasonable (especially if the previous status quo was very unreasonable).

Reinhard

infoproj

Post by infoproj » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:52 pm

Yes and every other site that tries to address this problem has a depressing, serious quality that makes me feel like I need a drink after I've read it.

Glass ceiling fits for me because I knew that I had a problem but it wasn't bad enough to stop completely, yet it wasn't good enough to carry on regardless.

I dabble with the NOS stuff, but I'm not too strict with it (technically a failure!), but that isn't a big deal for me as I keep in reasonable shape generally.

I also modify glass ceiling to *once in a while* go over but recoup those extras with corresponding abstinence.

In England we have a 21 units guideline (1 unit = 1 small glass of wine, 1 shot, 1/2 pint beer) per week (apparently this is an arbitrary figure without scientific backing, but I digress). So I also aim for this and try to ensure that the *occasional* excess doesn't take me over the 21.

So whilst I don't follow them to the letter, these sytems have helped me address my bad ways and get me back on track - particularly the glass ceiling.

I've feel great now (and strangely more wealthy) - and yes, I have had a drink (well 2 actually).