That part about taking around 12 tries to start is right

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Festive

That part about taking around 12 tries to start is right

Post by Festive » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:45 pm

When I first read the nos diet page I thought it seemed so easy, I couldn't imagine why it would take people several false starts to get it in full swing. Then I put it into practice. I've had so many "almost there" days where I nearly stick to the program fully, but it has definitely taken many tries to get up to a couple of days where its fully followed to the letter of the law. In the process I've definitely been doing better as the days go by, but I totally understand why the page says it may take several attempts.

Same with shovelglove, I've been unable to do a full 14 minutes yet (I'm quite badly out of shape), but I'm able to do more and more as the days go by. I spend the rest of the 14 minutes on the treadmill to where at least I'm still moving during the whole 14 minutes, but that's taking some effort to work up to the full 14 with just me and the sledge. Both of these programs are great and I'm glad I've found them, just thought I'd share some feedback on how that "may take a few attempts to get going" part was right on the money.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:48 pm

Yeah... some people are lucky and get it right away, but most aren't. It's safest to assume that you're one of those "most" and budget for a few (or more than a few) initial setbacks.

The good news is that the reason it's so hard to start is the same reason it's going to be so easy to maintain once you get it down: the power of habit. Right now, your bad habits are strongly working against you. But once you reeducate them, they'll be your potent allies.

Just pretend you're training an animal. When it misbehaves, be firm, but patient and gentle.

Reinhard

Festive

Post by Festive » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:37 pm

Thanks for the encouragement

annafarmer

Post by annafarmer » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:19 pm

I was so happy to see your post! I just had an Easter Candy slip up(I had eaten a handful before I even knew what happened), and it really helped to be reminded that there are going to be false starts before things get smoother. I think because NoS seems so simple, it's hard to believe that it takes more than one go to get with it. The thing that I struggle with is once I've messed up not just throwing good after bad. The temptation to say, well I've already failed this day I might as well start snacking. How do you get back on track quickly after a mess-up?

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:17 pm

annafarmer wrote: How do you get back on track quickly after a mess-up?
Well, to paraphrase Nike, you just do it! Put it in another perspective: Imagine you're learning some new skill and you make a mistake. Do you automatically say, "well, I've screwed up so I might as well just keep screwing up today." No, you either keep on going in the right direction or start over exactly where you were.

It takes time to perfect the habits, for them to become second nature. As time goes by, the more you perfect the habits. In the meantime, as I said in another post, it's progress, not perfection that counts.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:58 pm

wosnes said it well.

One thing I was (and still am) surprised about is how I permasnacked and turned to food due to my emotions, whcih then set in habits. I ate allll daaaay looong. I struggle with lonliness, stress, worry, etc.

I put a post up probably a month or less after I started noSing about how I used to eat. And it was literally one thing after another, nonstop. And if it was meal time and I had just snacked on a huge, gloppy pb&j sandwich, I'd eat my meal, have seconds, desssert too and then a night time snack (typically another pb&j). I had such an issue with pb&j's there for a while that I made them an S temporarily. I'll have one now and again with breakfast along with a fruit, etc.

Just keep trying. NoS is sustainable and sane and I'm still excited about it more than a year later! :P
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:55 am

I actually think that the practice in "getting back on track" in No-S is one of it's best aspects. I consider myself a "recovering perfectionist," and am still learning (and probably will my whole life) how to accept failures and keep moving in the direction I want to go.

If you struggle with this as much as I, I recommend...
1) The podcast (or chapter) on strictness... particularly the section about "no retribution." Learning to say "I messed up... and it's OVER" is a huge step.
2) Being gentle with yourself. It's almost become my mantra on this board, because, paradoxically, being stern is counter-productive. Planning delicious meals and definite S-day treats actually HELP in creating new habits. So does finding other things that are "treats" so that food is no longer the one thing that serves in that role.
3) Put the energy you used to put in "beating yourself up" into finding new alternatives - focus on the future rather than the past.
4) Recognize and accept that some failures are a normal and necessary part of learning to change a habit. First you recognize that you did the wrong thing AFTER the fact. Then you get good enough to make a better choice BEFORE - you recognize the triggers, the choice points, etc. But that "Oh, I screwed up!" is a normal, necessary stage. Just use it to learn!
5) Celebrate accomplishments, no matter how small. :)

And... just keep going. A small failure is actually no big deal. A string of them is.

Best of luck to all of us. It is good for me to write stuff like this, because it helps to engrave it on my own brain.