Biggest surprise of the week

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

eizzo

Biggest surprise of the week

Post by eizzo » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:25 pm

Well I started the No S diet last Sunday, and I was very fearful that i wasnt going to be able to do it, it was the no snack rule that was going to get me. But alas, ironically I had NO problem with this, because the rule is clear cut you get NOTHING, and I didnt find myself looking in the cabinets or counting out 5 prtezels, 6 carrots, 2 raisins for a snack. Now I must admit to going to bed a bit earlier in the evening on two night but hey it worked.

The other thing i did was chewed gum at work to keep me from snacking oh and I told my secretary she couldnt eat her candy around me, and that she had to hide all her chocolate. LOL

I also tried the methol drops thing to keep cravenings at bay.

I weighed myself everyday and do think I need to stop that nasty habit. Think I will try once a week.

ALL in all I had a great week, but am a bit anxious about today and tomorrow.

I also absolutely LOVE the support of this board.

Good luck all :D

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:38 pm

eizzo wrote:ALL in all I had a great week, but am a bit anxious about today and tomorrow.
The great thing about S days is that YOU CANNOT FAIL -- which is part of the reason it's so important not to eliminate them. You might overdo the first few times, but so what? That's what helps teach you how not to overdo in the future.

With so many new people here I'm reading a lot about "managing" S days, and I'm not sure that's a good idea. I think you just have to let them happen. I still might have snacks, sweets and seconds on S days, but I'm not eating all day long.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

OrganicGal

I agree....

Post by OrganicGal » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:19 pm

I agree with wosnes, that 'managing' S-days might be a bad idea, at least for some, most likely for me :) If I fall into the habit of over monitoring and managing my S-days and even to some extent the N-days, then it will feel like a 'diet' and too much work, and deprivation. Then I will fall off the plan, because it has (would) become a 'diet'.

I'm looking at the S way of doing things as getting back to the 'normal' way of eating that we all seem to have some experience with, at least when we were kids. Notice I didn't use the word 'diet' when referring to the S way of doing things :wink:

And also for me, I have to keep it simple and not try any of that 'tweaking' or playing with words or defintions etc. K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Sweetie.....One plate, one level, 3 meals only on the N days, and the S days I can eat the S's if I WANT to, but I don't have to just because it's a S day.

Have a great weekend everyone :D
Creating and sustaining the No S habits are the only thing that will take me in the direction I want to go!

Jamiebf

great

Post by Jamiebf » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:39 pm

My advice to you organic girl is get rid of the scale for the long term. What will it really do for you? As you mentioned on one of the other forums about the "diet hell wheel". I think it was you, describes it perfectly. The scales do the same thing to us. My husband hid mine and to be honest I don't even know that I want to weigh myself. That was a crazy obsession along with the diet hell wheel. The scale held way too much power over my emotions. Don't need that in my life. I love this plan and the support on this site. So one day at a time. My clothes will tell my how I am doing. It may take a year or two to loose the extra 30 but thats okay because I am free of the diet obsessing. No diet I have ever been on feel better than that.
Have a great S day!!

jazzys mom

Post by jazzys mom » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:49 pm

Ok, what is the "menthol drops" thing all about?

Jazzys Mom

eizzo

something I read

Post by eizzo » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:17 am

jazzys mom wrote:Ok, what is the "menthol drops" thing all about?

Jazzys Mom

I read somewhere that mentol/eculuptus cough drops can curb cravening. If I can find the site I will post it here.

I did okay on my first S day, I did not eat any sweets or any seconds UNLESS you count the dinner with the appetizer, salad and then the meal.

I didnt have any dessert, but I did have bread so I told myself that was my dessert.

I am actually looking forward to the No S day, so I dont need to stress.

Blithe Morning

Re: something I read

Post by Blithe Morning » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:17 pm

eizzo wrote: I didnt have any dessert, but I did have bread so I told myself that was my dessert.
I think that's dieter's head talking. You don't have to tell yourself anything. It's ok to have bread and dessert on an S day ... or not. It's up to you. That's why I like this plan, you don't have to rationalize all your food choices. Bread is bread. Dessert is dessert. You can enjoy food for what it is.

eizzo

oops

Post by eizzo » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:23 pm

it takes a long time to un learn the thinking of a life time.

wosnes

Re: oops

Post by wosnes » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:56 pm

eizzo wrote:it takes a long time to un learn the thinking of a life time.
It's incredible the damage the diet programs have done.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

No_S_ing_Jill

Post by No_S_ing_Jill » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:52 am

I appreciate the vibes I picked up from this conversation. I have been feeling "guilty" today about what I have eaten. It's just not like me to think that it's okay. I just read about No S at the end of last week and so I really hadn't gotten much time in and then here it is 2 S days in a row.

Yesterday went pretty well, but today is my son's birthday and I feel like I have gone overboard. I liked the comment about that we might overdo the first few times. That is hopeful, i.e. there will be an end to it. I also liked the comment about it taking some time to undo what we have done for a lifetime. This is such a forgiving attitude. I am grateful.

Hope and gratitude - a good combination heading into a new week...
Jill

Blithe Morning

Re: oops

Post by Blithe Morning » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:26 am

eizzo wrote:it takes a long time to un learn the thinking of a life time.
It really does. And you aren't the only one.

You know, in reading through the posts of all us newbies, I can't help but think that "diet head" is a response of good and smart people to something that is deeply and fundamentally awry in our society.

eizzo

Thanks responders

Post by eizzo » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:11 am

thank you to all who took the time to respond I greatly apprieicate the time and thought that it took. I am going to redouble my efforts to think about food as a friend not some evil enemy and enjoy things and relax a bit. WELL at least that is my plan.

Thanks board