Potatoes, rice, pasta...BREAD!!!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

angelka71

Potatoes, rice, pasta...BREAD!!!

Post by angelka71 » Sat May 10, 2008 6:56 am

Isn't it amazing to be able to eat these w/o feeling carb guilt???

My husband has been doing low carb for the past few years off and on and while I never stuck to it religiously, I generally did try to stay away from carbs. (Yet I would still binge on cookies, cakes, candy lol)!

Since No S-ing I've been able to eat baked potatoes, potatoe salad, spaghetti WITH garlic bread, cereal, and sandwiches...REAL sandwiches on hoagie buns, sour dough, etc.

I never considered myself to be addicted to carbs, just obvious sweets and deserts. I'm not having all carb all the time, but it sure is nice to enjoy potatoe salad with my barbeque chicken and not feel guilty. :D

Shirls

Post by Shirls » Sat May 10, 2008 7:42 am

I was never any good at low carbs. After a couple of days I'd feel as though I had a rip roaring hangover, which was really annoying after I'd given up drinkng alcohol years before. But I recognized that feeling and once I realized it would go away by just eating pasta, bread or potatoes I gave up on low carb diets.
Don't wait for the storm to be over - learn to dance in the rain.

wosnes

Re: Potatoes, rice, pasta...BREAD!!!

Post by wosnes » Sat May 10, 2008 11:49 am

angelka71 wrote:Isn't it amazing to be able to eat these w/o feeling carb guilt???
sandwiches...REAL sandwiches on hoagie buns, sour dough, etc.
Sure, just go live someplace else!

I have a cute cartoon that I found in a local newspaper aimed at natural health practices. It shows a slim Chinese person with a big bowl of rice in front of him; a slim French woman surrounded by loaves of bread; an Italian with heaps of pasta in front of him. The caption under each is "slim eating ____" whatever it is they were eating. The last frame is a heavy American who is saying "I'm so fat -- it must be all the carbs!"

Last week in a post I mentioned an article I'd read in Prevention magazine in the mid-1990s called "How in the World to Stay Slim" and it gave the eating habits of people in various countries. At the end it summarized their habits -- which were much the same, though the foods were obviously different. One of those things were that starches were the "star" of their meals rather than meat. In northern Europe it was potatoes and bread, in Italy it was bread and pasta, in Asia it was rice.

A few of the vegans here have mentioned the McDougall Program -- it's a vegan, starch-based diet for regaining your health and weight loss, based in large part on the traditional diets of Asians. Dr. McDougall's premise is that around the world, people eat starch-based diets and remain slim and healthy. The only thing that differs is the starch.

Two or three years ago I received an email from one of the vendors at my local farmer's market at Thanksgiving time. He was promoting what he had available for the holiday. I remember thinking "no wonder this meal is so heavy on starches" because it was potatoes, sweet potatoes, squashes and very little in the way of green vegetables -- just the hardier ones.

It occurred to me that Dr. McDougall is right. People thrive on starch-based diets. Nearly everywhere in the world there are a few starches that are abundantly available, cheap and store well. This forms the basis of the local diet. The biggest difference between the McDougall Program and how people traditionally eat is not only do most people add small amounts of meat, poultry, fish, dairy and eggs (not to mention added fats) to supplement the available starches, they also eat more or less of the starch depending on what vegetables and fruits are available. In the summer when fresh produce is abundant, they eat more of that and less of the starch -- probably because the stores of it are low. In the winter they eat more of the starch and much less fresh produce (or what they have put up from summer's bounty).

Interesting article from his web site:
http://www.nealhendrickson.com/mcdougal ... pucarb.htm

There's a lot of similarity between what Dr. McDougall teaches and what Michael Pollan says: "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants."

Just recently I came up with an analogy: carbs are to the human body what gasoline is to a car: the necessary fuel. Fats and proteins are like engine oil and coolant: necessary, but in much smaller amounts. It takes all of them to make a car or human body to work properly, but one is needed more than the others.

The biggest differences between us and others around the world who consume starch-based diets is that we consume far less of the fiber-rich foods and far more food than we need. We eat to excess. We also generally aren't as active.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sat May 10, 2008 7:27 pm

May I please add...

Unfiltered Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Avocados!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I simplhy could NOT live without these two! :D

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

Mavilu

Post by Mavilu » Sat May 10, 2008 11:57 pm

Ah!, olive oil... I can't live without it.
I did pretty good on EDiets, I lost weight, maintained it and enjoyed it, except... every day, I had to ration the fat to the extreme and there went my olive oil... I just knew I couldn't keep it forever.

As to starches or carbs, or whatever, I never got into that bandwagon, but I'm a bread baker by hobby; I buy bread baking books and I go through every recipe, of course, choosing some favorites along the way that I bake now and again.
Lately I was felling like bread baking would have to cease, because it's so high caloric (especially, my favorites which happen to be italian and middle eastern breads full of olive oil) and because once baked, we couldn't stop eating the bread until finishing the loaf right then and there.
Well, this is another thing NoS has helped me with: I still bake, I still eat the bread and I still have my olive oil, only now it's in moderation.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sun May 11, 2008 5:46 am

I still bake, I still eat the bread and I still have my olive oil, only now it's in moderation.
Mavilu,

sounds like bliss to me :D

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey