SUFFERING!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

CrazyCatLady

SUFFERING!

Post by CrazyCatLady » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:23 am

As I sat at work today, with some delicious cookies and brownies nearby, I felt as if I would crack. I wanted a cookie (or four). I wondered if I just licked the frosting off a brownie, as part of my lunch, would it count as a sweet? I was really starting to tie myself in knots! So I began to read the main No S page, and I found these words of wisdom from Reinhard.......

Is it hard?
It's hard in a different way than most other diets. It can seem harder at first because it doesn't pretend that there is some trick to bypassing the work of building new habits - it does take willpower and patience and discipline. But the hard part is all up front. Once you get past this initial hump, once you've turned the rules into unconscious habits, it gets easier and easier.

This is in stark contrast to the way other diets work. Forbidden-foods diets, like Atkins, seem great at the outset, because you can go on being a glutton, gorging on unlimited steaks to compensate for never eating pasta or pizza or potatoes again. But it gets old fast. You really start to miss the forbidden foods. And then you crack. Counting calories is the same way. It can be fun for a week. Sort of a game. But after a few months it becomes a time-consuming chore. Every meal becomes a math assignment. It's almost a tossup whether you'd be more miserable sticking your diet or quitting and getting fat again.

Which brings me to another great thing about the No S Diet: it's never really hard in the sense of being unpleasant, even at the very beginning. It might take discipline, it might take patience, but it doesn't take suffering. In fact, you'll enjoy food more. The spotlight of three single-plate meals doesn't just catch excess, it focuses appreciation. And you'll enjoy your sweets on weekends and holidays more than you ever did before.

Lastly, it's socially unobtrusive. People don't have to cook you separate meals, as they would on a low-carb plan, for instance. Most of the time, they won't even notice you're on a diet, much less be inconvenienced by it.

It might take discipline, and patience, but not suffering. Was saying NO to the blue frosted cookies "suffering"? Was not indulging in a tiny brownie (which a friend tasted and said they were dried out and hard) "suffering"? I just need to keep focusing on habits, making sure that I have satisfying meals, and keep No S-ing!

What have you said "no" to lately, that was a triumph over old habits, and proof that new habits can be built?

Dawn

Post by Dawn » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:17 am

Seconds on dinner tonight. I never have a problem with seconds but tonight it was a killer. I had my husband clean up.

I just keep telling myself when I am tempted that I love how I feel in the AM when I stay strong and how much I hate to wake up with that guilty feeling. That was a huge reason I enjoy No-S so much!
Dawn

Mavilu

Post by Mavilu » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:22 am

I just said "no" to my very large restaurant hamburger.
It was hard because I was used to eat an entire one of those (my favorite, on a french roll, with mozzzarella and home-made chilli) just like nothing, but, this time around, even though I hadn't eaten in several hours, I simply couldn't eat the second half and hope to feel okay physically afterwards.
Half of my mind was thinking "hey, it's not that much left, you can do it, live in the moment!" and the other half was telling me that I was going to feel unconfortable if I finished it, period.
And finally, I just said "no" and put the un-eaten half in the fridge, to be consumed by my husband tomorrow.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:22 am

CrazyCatLady,

Never ending food indulgences. I now say No to those. Before No S I NEVER stopped on Monday ... unless it was a 1 day :D don't ask... my husband reminded me of this a few days ago, FUNNY I had completely forgotten!

and THAT is truly NOT suffering,
Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey