Just starting, and a few questions...

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

KAxelrod

Just starting, and a few questions...

Post by KAxelrod » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:04 am

Just started No S on Saturday, August 30. I know...that's a funny day to start. I took the liberty of renaming Saturday to Aturday, and Unday followed. I was so psyched to start, I didn't want to wait for an N day. Anyway...I promise to take this coming Saturday and Sunday as S days. It was a temporary re-naming.

I LOVE this. I have major problems with self-control and food. The simplicity of the rules really helps me. I'm enjoying my mealtimes more than I EVER enjoyed them. And, craving healthy foods.

I have Reinhard's book on order, but I have a few questions.

If I have a latte (no sugar, just milk and coffee) in between meals, is that considered a snack? Or should I just have my coffee black if it's in between meals?

And, a question about seconds. I often start out my meal with a huge salad. And a ton of cherry tomatoes and cukes (we're getting lots of veggies from our CSA). According to the rules, should my salad be on that one and only plate that my dinner is on? I think the answer is yes, but I'm really having a hard time breaking myself of the HUGE salad habit. (I know, it's not a terrible habit. I can tell you about my terrible food habits some other time! ).

Betty

Post by Betty » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:14 am

Welcome!

1) Enjoy your latte. Drinks, even caloric drinks are fine between meals. Just avoid the sugary ones.

2) Technically, the idea is to put all the food on one plate so that you can see how much you are eating. But I tend to think that the second part of the sentence is the most important. I have a banana beside my oatmeal in the morning rather than cutting it up into the bowl.

But I do think it's important to make the decision about what and exactly how much you are going to eat before you start. If you're going to have the big salad, put it next to your plate all at once. Then you see what you are eating.

Betty
Be your own best friend and advocate. Be gentle and kind to yourself. Your weight is not the problem.

Before: 140
During: 140 (again!)

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:04 pm

Welcome! I'm relatively new too...I'm on Day 39. I started this "diet" awhile ago but never took it very seriously. This time around I'm making it a huge priority and have found it to be not as difficult as I'd anticipated. I've had challenging days, but overall it's a wonderfully simple plan.

Reading the book will be great for you. I was tempted to read it all at once, but made myself take a few pages at a time so that I had encouraging words to read on a daily basis. I'm still picking it up from time to time to remind myself of everything.

Again, welcome....hope to see you on the discussion boards from time to time.

janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:14 pm

KAxelrod,

WELCOME! and yes I have had major problems with food and self-control ... NO S is great for that IMHO ... anyway, people do different things with salads ... technically ... all goes on one plate, you can check out some of my "maximizing the real estate" on your plate photos on my blogs ... I have piled humoungous portions of lettuce etc on top of fruits and bowls of whatever ... most important thing is do what works and commit to staying GREEN on N days ...

your Aturday and Unday were pretty cute fixes for getting an early start!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:26 pm

Welcome!

I would fit that salad on your one plate. Excess with a side of salad is still excess. When the salad competes for space with calorically denser, but otherwise less nutrient rich stuff, it does double duty as a positive good and by crowding out the bad.

Though I do think it's helpful to stick to one physical plate, the most important aspect of the "no seconds" rule is to force yourself to see everything you are going to eat at a meal all at once in front of you, so that you can't deceive yourself (and anyone else who's looking) about how much you are eating. So if you must have salad on a separate plate, put it next to you main dinner plate instead of eating one course at a time. If this looks like a horrendous amount of food -- that's the point.

Sticking with a single physical plate per meal is the safest way to go -- it's simpler, totally unambiguous, and the plate is sort of like a visual frame for making excess jump out even more. Try looking at sticking with one plate as a fun, almost aesthetic challenge, kind of like having to stick with some kind of poetic form. Check out blueskighs beautifully photographed blog for some inspiration.

Reinhard