Another S day?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

samhandwich

Another S day?

Post by samhandwich » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:15 pm

Hello. I've been doing the no s diet for a few weeks now, with one modification. I've added another S day: Sports days.

I do some sports that are all-day kinds of things (whitewater kayaking, hiking, skiing etc.) My feeling is that on those days, you need some snacks and you can pretty much eat what you want (within reason).

What do you all think of that?

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:28 pm

I think that's really a case where "your mileage may vary" - that is, results will be very individualized.

If it's working for you, by all means keep on! If you find over time that it's not, reconsider what you're having for snacks, or how often you're having them during those days.

I suspect that if you pay close attention to the other days and keep them very solidly No-S, this will work quite well. Of course, I'm assuming you aren't using "Sports Days" an an excuse for unbridled idiocy. :) (It doesn't sound as if you are.)

One of the things I love about No S is that it is customizable to individual circumstances once you get the basic habits and big ideas down (which to my mind includes developing an unflinching honesty in self-assessment).

Good luck - those sports sound like a lot of fun!

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:36 pm

I thought about this when I kicked up my exercise schedule and elected to try it whilst sticking to the standard three meals. After about two sessions, I found I didn't need any extra snacks or energy drinks, just water.

I'd recommend trying without the snacks to start with (whilst carrying something in case of emergency; collapsing from low blood sugar won't help) and only snacking as a last resort. If you find that you can't do without, then snack away. Make sure you have a solid definition of "can't". There is a risk that the all-day events will become an excuse; I've yet to find any form of exertion that can't be adequately fuelled with three decent meals.
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:53 pm

Whenever I'm in a wilderness situation, I usually carry snacks with me. That said, I save them for emergencies.

I do eat more when I'm doing day long activities. I did a kayak trip in June where we were on the river all day battling wind, low temps and rain. I had seconds at dinner those nights.

This is one of those situations where you really, really need to listen to your body. If you need to eat, eat, especially if hypothermia is a possibility. A handful of nuts and dried fruit should do you. You have to keep moving to keep your core temperature up and you need energy to move.

But if you don't need to eat, don't.

And of course, water is usually more important than food.