Dealing with my first FAILURE day

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

mel1974c

Dealing with my first FAILURE day

Post by mel1974c » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:01 pm

I was going along nicely yesterday - my first day after deciding not to do my daily check-ins as diligently as I have been. Breakfast and Lunch were my usual N day meals. I had just finished a disappointing dinner. And then, it happened - I opened the freezer and saw the cookies that I baked on Saturday. I grabbed a glass of milk and 2 of the cookies. And honestly, I thoroughly enjoyed them.

And then it hit me - my first FAILURE in over 9 weeks on NoS.

I was disappointed in myself. Immediately I went into guilt mode. Why did I eat them? I failed failed failed. And I hate to fail. I had just arranged to pick up my wedding dress and scheduled my first fitting for March. I will never reach my goals.

I called my fiancee and told him what happened. And I found myself saying to him that it was 1 day and that I'd be back on track tomorrow. I know it wasn't smart, but I enjoyed them and will move forward without beating myself up. I have moved on, but feel that I need to be extra diligent today.

I guess what I am feeling is normal... right?
:roll:
thanks, melissa

Deedee

Post by Deedee » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:24 pm

Hey Melissa,
Relax - it was 2 cookies and a glass of milk! It's a minor slip-up on the road called 'life'!
You've got a great habit formed - and one that you'll get back to. It's interesting that the slip-up happened after a disappointing meal.

It's so important eat what really appeals to you - that one plate has got to count!

Take it easy - perfectly normal - enjoy the process -

D

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:27 pm

Thanks Deedee I really appreciate your encouragement!

I have that oldest-child-have-to-be-hard-on-myself mentality. I need to make that behavior an S!

Melissa

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:05 pm

I think two cookies is a very minor slip up. At least you didn't go crazy and turn it into a full-scale binge!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:17 pm

I've never understood why we expect to be perfect.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:12 am

Please keep it in perspective Melissa and don't panic!
You are doing great!
I have one failure on average a week and I just move on..
Great to be strict, which you are obviously, but no need for guilt here.
Man now I want cookies! LOL :)
Have a nice day and be very proud of your nine weeks on habit!
That's amazing!
Love
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:54 am

wosnes wrote:I've never understood why we expect to be perfect.
Wow! What a statement! That just sums up my whole LIFE!!! I think I need to ponder that today....it just hit me like a ton of bricks!

Melissa,

Nine weeks and two cookies? 63 Days and 2 cookies? That's not even a chocolate chip every day! To say you're doing wonderfully is an understatement. You're BETTER than normal...you're terrific!

janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:12 pm

Thanks to everyone who posted. Your posts are very encouraging.

I have long had a fear of failure - a fear of abandonment that has caused it. Everytime I think I am over it, I realize that I am not. But , life is a journey not a destination and I am still moving forward.

I am over the cookie incident. Tomorrow is an S Day and I will eat the last remaining cookie in the freezer and enjoy it.

Again thanks to janie, debs, wosnes and babyprrr for your posts.

~melissa