Having Problems!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

janiean1

Having Problems!

Post by janiean1 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:29 pm

Hello Everyone!

I have been lurking here since the article came out in Woman's World. I had a lot of start and stops trying the NoS. I always feel so much better and happier when I am doing the NoS then I get discouraged and try something else. I have gastric bypass surgery March 2005, and I've been gaining weight back. When I am on it, sometimes I get very hungry in between meals, and I will drink a glass of milk with chocolate syrup that has Splenda in it. Is this okay?

I just feel very out of control! Any advice for me? I now know that calorie counting and counting points is not for me.

Thanks! Jane

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:40 pm

Jane,

For strict No-S, chocolate syrup is definitely a sweet. Plain milk is fine, of course.

HOWEVER - the key right now is to build habit and consistency. Some people "phase in" the habits, first focusing on the easier ones and then building from there.

If you're having trouble, bring it to the level you can do, then continue to build habit. And if that means "one milk with chocolate per day for now," so be it. When you're ready, you can drop that.

Best wishes.

PS - I do not know how gastric surgery affects No-S... perhaps someone else can chime in to help. My guess would be that you may need smaller meals, and more of them, but that's just a guess. What I do know is that you need consistency, whatever form it takes. Again, best wishes!

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:42 pm

Another thought - are you taking your S-days? They really do make a difference in keeping you from getting discouraged. Folks who try to "tough through" them usually end up cracking at some point....

janiean1

Hi There!

Post by janiean1 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:48 pm

Yes, I would take those NoS days.. and I went so overboard I felt ill! I am thinking that maybe six meals per day would be the way to go because my stomach cannot hold a lot at one time.

Thanks for responding :)

Janie

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:58 pm

KCCC wrote: I do not know how gastric surgery affects No-S... perhaps someone else can chime in to help. My guess would be that you may need smaller meals, and more of them, but that's just a guess. What I do know is that you need consistency, whatever form it takes.
I had a gastric bypass 15 years ago, and I still need small meals.
Overeating on Sdays or any other day also still makes me ill.
My post-surgery weight-gaining problem has been constant nibbling small amounts of food.
Any kind of meal structuring that helps avoid this will be probably successful.

I have, personally, been unable to eat enough at mealtime. .
. . . .without making myself uncomfortable. . . .
. ..to avoid being hungry between meals.
Ordinarily I have 3 meals with 3 small snacks,
however, the difficulty with that for me is that
. . because I am smaller and older,.
having even small snacks greatly reduces the amount of calories I can have at my normal mealtime.
And I have trouble keeping my calorie intake low enough to maintain my current weight.

If you are interested in more of my personal information,
it is contained within my ongoing personal check-in link.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com