Introduction

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

play_outside

Introduction

Post by play_outside » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:42 am

Hi! I'm a mom of 3 young kids, getting ready to start the No S Diet again. I don't need to lose weight really, but I am discouraged at my apparent lack of self-control. I am relatively young, and I don't want to be caught off guard when my metabolism slows down around 35, as I hear it will. I'm hoping that this time using the HabitCal and/or daily check-in will help. I think HabitCal is just beautiful in its simple interface (I was a software engineer myself back before children).

I used the No S Diet in 2005 after my daughter was born, to lose the last few pounds and - again - because I was a little alarmed at my "gluttony". It wasn't easy, but I certainly slimmed down and felt better. I officially stopped when I was pregnant with the 3rd. Right now I am nursing my voracious 3rd baby who is almost 1, and I also don't want to be caught off guard when I stop nursing and don't have that need to eat for two.

I LOVE to cook and bake bread, and like many others, I have gotten interested in local food. We have a big garden and subscribe to a wonderful CSA - this is our first year and we chose to get the largest sized box, which has definitely overwhelmed me during those times the garden has produced a lot! I feel like my life has been filled with thinking about food all the time, which I actually want to get away from. Do any other local food fans find that it is difficult not to overeat when you are always thinking about how to use your fresh food? I tend to make big new recipes every day, like a big pot of ratatouille, and then eat up lots of leftovers when my kids are napping because I CAN - I want to cook a new dinner with my OTHER vegetables anyway, so they won't go into the compost. That's not SO unhealthy (except for the quantity) until the beautiful food is gone, but a snacking habit remains, and I go looking for the box of crackers because I'm not used to curbing my desire to eat - a typical pattern.

Another reason I want to quit snacking is that it is time-consuming... I have a lot of work to do as a mom of 3 young children, and I just cannot waste that kind of time - but I do out of habit! The No S Diet really seems to be a great answer for people who don't want to obsess over their bodies but want to put some limits on their consumption.

Well, with all the kids, veggies, and cooking, I am looking for a way to simplify and get healthier... so here I am and looking forward to it. Many thanks to Reinhard for promoting the No S Diet, and thanks for reading. :)

ironlily

I am new too

Post by ironlily » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:12 am

I am new to this but I know that I can do this long term. I love this eating style. It is how I will eat from this point on. I have been searching for years to find a way to get back to eating normal. I have felt like a butterfly tightly spun and imprisoned in the gigantic diet web that has taken our over country . I always thought about the difference of how I used to eat but somehow just cut not break free. The No "S" diet has cut me loose from that horrible web and I am eternally grateful. This is not dieting, it is a cure for those trying to undo the damage that dieting inflicts on our bodies, minds and spirits. Yikes that felt good to get that out (LOL)

Sorry about the length of my first post.
S

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:28 am

Welcome back!

My family was pretty small -- only 4 of us. I cooked much like you do, only I tried to make it so that there were either NO leftovers or they were frozen immediately.

Now I cook mostly for myself and still -- I don't want leftovers. There are some exceptions to this (soups, for instance) and it does take some trial and error to get to the point where you know how to cook "x" amount for a certain number of people. But, it can be done.

About things slowing down after 35 -- I found it was more like 55. The biggest secret isn't even controlling your eating, it's staying active. Doesn't mean going to a gym, but doing something everyday and just being more active throughout the day. Making life a little less convenient is a big help!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

play_outside

Post by play_outside » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:56 pm

NO leftovers -- good thought. My husband and I like to have leftovers for lunch much of the time, but even factoring that in, I still don't need to be cooking any 9x13 pans full for dinner.

Thanks!

Merry

Post by Merry » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:30 pm

play_outside wrote:NO leftovers -- good thought. My husband and I like to have leftovers for lunch much of the time, but even factoring that in, I still don't need to be cooking any 9x13 pans full for dinner.

Thanks!
If you do, right away freeze half the pan for a no-cook dinner night (sometimes a mom needs those!).

Merry :-)
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:16 pm

Do any other local food fans find that it is difficult not to overeat when you are always thinking about how to use your fresh food?
play_outside,

I have been going to farmer's markets regularly for over seven years, it took me a long time to stop overbuying because everything always looked so good, so i would struggle with just simply making too much and feeling like we HAD to eat it cause it was so fresh and healthy ... would the CSA let you downsize to a smaller box?
Another reason I want to quit snacking is that it is time-consuming...
I have definitely found this to be true for me too. My productivity has gone through the roof since i have been on NO S and quite snacking. I LOVE IT!
I have felt like a butterfly tightly spun and imprisoned in the gigantic diet web that has taken our over country . I always thought about the difference of how I used to eat but somehow just cut not break free. The No "S" diet has cut me loose from that horrible web and I am eternally grateful.
very beautifully said,

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

play_outside

Post by play_outside » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:58 pm

Merry: True, putting things right into the freezer is not a bad idea. Mine happens to be full at the moment (of local produce, a casserole, some soups, etc. - plus I overstocked on some cheap cheese), but I can deal with that. Gotta stop overbuying (we live in the country, so I like to stock up, but I need to cut back on that since we still go shopping every week)!

Blueskighs: Yes, you understand! :) I've been thinking that once the CSA box stops for the year (only a few more weeks for us), I will regain some sanity. Downsizing is a thought I hadn't had. It was funny because we signed up for the large box as a result of a miscommunication with my husband... long story. Next year, a standard box for sure. :) And I just need to freeze more of it and share with friends, no doubt.

Btw, I just read several pages of your blog and it looks like you are having lots of fun eating. :) That's encouraging!

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:04 pm

Welcome back Play_Outside!

I'm relatively new (Week 10), so I wasn't around when you originally did this. I'm absolutely convinced though, that this is THE answer.

I've done the 3-small children at once thing...and I absolutely understand how hard it is to not snack with little ones. My little ones are now all teens, but I have a 3-year old too...so life is busy, but delightful.

I hope you'll find the same kind of encouragement I've received here...

Welcome back again...

janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:38 pm

Hi play-outside,

Let's here it for the locavores!

We too belong to a wonderful CSA and I know what you mean about thinking about food a lot and making plans about how to use up the wonderful bounty from the farm. The freezer does help, but sometimes I find myself saying "it's okay" if some of the excess has to go in the compost.

Good luck and welcome back.

-habitualrunner

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:58 pm

play_outside wrote:NO leftovers -- good thought. My husband and I like to have leftovers for lunch much of the time, but even factoring that in, I still don't need to be cooking any 9x13 pans full for dinner.

Thanks!
Oh, that's something else...with the exception of using my 9x13 pan as a roasting pan, I don't cook anything in it. Since I often cook only for myself or maybe 1-2 other people, I use small pans and small amounts ALL the time.

I made an eye of round roast for dinner today. I asked the butcher for the smallest one -- 1.5 lbs. There are leftovers, but they're going to be used for another dinner.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."