What happens when I don't eat what I wanted in the 1st place

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

clicklbd

What happens when I don't eat what I wanted in the 1st place

Post by clicklbd » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:45 am

Tonight we cooked on the grill. We do that a lot. However, I really did NOT want hamburgers and hotdogs, which everyone else did want. Then my hotdog got burned, and my husband and I had a fight over the hotdogs, so I ended up cooking one quickly in the house and eating it.

It was ok, but not what I wanted.

So what do you suppose happened?

Around 9:30pm, I reeeeally wanted a bagel. I could hear it calling my name. I kept thinking about no snacking, but the urge was too great, and I had the bagel. :oops:

Life goes on, and I didn't have breakfast today, so technically I only had 3 meals, but really, 9:30pm is not the time to be eating unless you work the night shift.

And if I had just had something else satisfying INSTEAD of a hotdog that I didn't want, then I wouldn't have been in the kitchen at 9:30pm.

Oh well, lesson learned. Won't be doing that again!

wosnes

Re: What happens when I don't eat what I wanted in the 1st p

Post by wosnes » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:00 am

clicklbd wrote:
Life goes on, and I didn't have breakfast today, so technically I only had 3 meals, but really, 9:30pm is not the time to be eating unless you work the night shift.
Actually, I don't think there's a thing wrong with eating at 9 P.M.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

clicklbd

Post by clicklbd » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:51 am

wosnes wrote:
If your schedule is like mine, eating at 9:30pm means you are going to bed with a full stomach, which means you are risking bad heartburn and reflux. It's just not the best idea.

Of course, I might be older than you are. I used to be able to do it when I was much younger. ;-)

amieru

Post by amieru » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:10 pm

I know what you mean when you eat something that your body just isn't really wanting. I've found thru trial and error to ask myself what is it I am really wanting right now. Is it something warm, cold or crunchy, etc. Because, If I eat a meal that I'm just not wanting, later I go searching thru the fridge and cabinets still looking to satisfy that hunger.
God: He knows EVERYTHING about you, LOVES you without reservation or condition, CARES about every need you face, and will NEVER betray your trust....R. Lessin

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:48 pm

clicklbd wrote:
wosnes wrote:
If your schedule is like mine, eating at 9:30pm means you are going to bed with a full stomach, which means you are risking bad heartburn and reflux. It's just not the best idea.

Of course, I might be older than you are. I used to be able to do it when I was much younger. ;-)
If you eat late:

1. Eat a small meal.
2. Drink a glass of water after eating.
3. Eat a wedge of apple.

I suddenly started having heartburn and reflux recently -- no matter what time I ate dinner or what I ate for dinner. I think it's a side effect from some medication, but I'm not sure. The first time I woke up in the middle of the night with this, the only thing I could think of to "cure" it was the BRAT diet for tummy troubles: bananas, rice, applesauce and toast. I didn't have any bananas, didn't feel like making rice or toast -- but I had some applesauce. I ate it -- and a few minutes later the heartburn was gone. GONE.

This happened a few times over the course of several weeks and the applesauce always cured it. I did some research and found that apples, particularly Red Delicious apples, are a "cure" for heartburn and reflux. I've found that any variety apple works. Also, a glass of water consumed within 30 minutes after eating.

Now part of my bedtime routine is to eat 1/4 - 1/2 apple. Absolutely no problems since this.

By the way, I'm not young! At heart maybe, but not chronologically!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:51 pm

Yes, when you eat stuff that isn't satisfying you will end up still wanting that first food you thought of.. If I don't eat what I really want, I usually end up eating everything and the kitchen sink in compensation.. So have what you really want..
Just save the S's for the weekend!
As you said, live and learn.
Next time have a bagel for your dinner :wink:
Peace and Love
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

clicklbd

Post by clicklbd » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:04 pm

wosnes wrote:If you eat late:

1. Eat a small meal.
2. Drink a glass of water after eating.
3. Eat a wedge of apple.

Now part of my bedtime routine is to eat 1/4 - 1/2 apple. Absolutely no problems since this.
Interesting! Apples can give me heartburn, and I burp after I eat them, but I do love them. But for me, they are definitely not something to eat before bed.

They also make me more hungry about an hour later than if I had nothing. If I have apples, I always have them with a protein, which helps me feel more satisfied and surprisingly, helps with the burpiness.

A typical lunch for me might include yogurt, an apple sliced with peanut butter (the really good stuff, not the kind that "choosy mothers choose"), maybe half a sandwich, and some sort of veggie. Today I'm having some leftover pasta, but I'm still having my apple with pb. I always make room for my apple at lunch time. YUM!

I know so many people who can't eat late, I just didn't think that someone might do better eating right before bed. whatever works best for you!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:44 pm

Since I've started eating the apple, I notice that I burp, too, but I figure it's a good thing -- it's what supposed to happen.

I think it's interesting that a good portion of the world's population typically eats late -- 9 or 10 or later. I would think that if it was problematic, they would stop. Bu they also tend NOT to eat big meals in the evening.

clicklbd

Post by clicklbd » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:11 pm

Ah, but if it's problematic for me, I shouldn't do it. ;-)

Also, I think that people who eat late ususally don't go to bed as early as I do, and they also haven't just eaten dinner a few hours earlier. I don't need to eat at 9:30pm.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:17 pm

Back to the "if I don't eat what I want" theme...

I think learning to listen to "What do I want? What will satisfy me?" is an invaluable aspect of No-S. Eating something unsatisfying DOES undermine success. I think that's why so many diets fail - they fail to satisfy. So, it's a really good idea to listen to "what do I want?" I think doing so naturally leads to better food choices over time. (At least, after the initial "I can HAVE that?" reaction runs its course.)

Interestingly, sometimes the answer to that question has nothing to do with food. I realized (and continue to realize, over and over) that I often use food when I'm bored or avoiding a task. Oh. Well. Maybe I'll go read a book, or just spend 15 minutes on that task.

Who was the bright person on this board who said "if hunger isn't the problem, food is not the answer?"

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:57 pm

clicklbd

1. for purposes of No S when I have a meal I don't like or is unsatisfying i just accept that and move on, i think that is just how life is, i also note whatever went into those particular choices and figure out how to do things different next time :D

2. as far as timing, i hear that you would prefer to not eat so late, but i think its ok, the "diet" is three one plate meals a day, there is no limitations on time. of course it works best if most days they are spread evenly through out the day, but sometimes that won't work out. Schedules and/or emotions go awry. my eating times have been ALL OVER the place, I REALLy don't worry one little bit about it. Did I eat 3 one plate/bowl meals today and nothing else? YES? that's a green N day. period!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

Me Too

Post by Me Too » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:00 pm

I too love apples with peanut butter, and I love "choosy mothers choose" Jiff.
Since I can't have it for a snack anymore, I will have it for lunch or sometimes dinner.

Down 3 lbs this week, that's a total of 8.4 lbs in 2 weeks. :D
Me Too

3 John:2
Beloved, I pray that in all respects you may prosper and be in good health, just as your soul prospers.

clicklbd

Post by clicklbd » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:34 pm

Me Too wrote:I too love apples with peanut butter, and I love "choosy mothers choose" Jiff.
To me the really good stuff is the sugar free stuff. I never liked peanut butter as a kid. I thought it was nasty. It wasn't until I had some with no added sweetener that I figured out that I liked it. ;-)

It's great with apples, though, isn't it? My kids love it too.

Me Too

Post by Me Too » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:57 am

My mother always had Skippy PB, hated it, so when I became an adult I switched to Jiff. DH likes Adams PB that you have to stir and stir, it always looks oily to me.

All I can say is Thank God For Peanut Butter :D
Me Too

Beloved, I pray that in all respects you may prosper and be in good health, just as your soul prospers.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:58 pm

Me Too wrote:
Down 3 lbs this week, that's a total of 8.4 lbs in 2 weeks. :D
Congrats! :)
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Me Too

Post by Me Too » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:15 pm

Thank you Debs, it means a lot to me.
This is the first time I have ever been on a diet, and first, stuck with it past lunch time, and second actually lost weight on. About time!

Love No S Diet. :D
Me Too

Writer110

Post by Writer110 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:25 pm

If I have something I think I 'should' have or futz with my meals to make them more 'weight-loss friendly" I will immediately want to overeat or binge. Right now I am only focusing on eating things I like. :)

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:00 pm

I experience this same phenomenon also.
Generally it's over S day treats. DH prefers Ice Cream. I prefer CAKE (or brownies). Ice cream just doesn't do it for me. DH says "uck" to cake, which makes me feel guilty for liking cake so I get the ice cream instead and wind up going after sweets during the week to try to satisfy that missed cake.
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18