Clean Eating Magazine

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

wosnes

Clean Eating Magazine

Post by wosnes » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:54 am

Someone mentioned Clean Eating magazine recently. I'd seen it before, but didn't pay much attention to it. Yesterday I saw a copy at the grocery and I picked it up. Overall, it's a good magazine, but not something I'll subscribe to, though I might buy an individual issue again. I say this because the food information is information I've already learned.

There was one really good article, "Quit Fighting with Food" by Peggy Hall. It was about her experiences with food while in the Peace Corps in Morocco.
Peggy Hall wrote:I had spent most of my early adulthood controlling -- and being controlled by -- what went in my mouth and what didn't. But in Morocco, that sort of struggle seemed impossible. Not only were my old dieting standbys not available, but I was also surrounded by offer upon generous offer to enjoy afternoon tea, share a tagine (stew), or be the guest of honor at the Friday couscous dinner. Out of sheer frustration over not being able to eat (that is, diet) the only way I knew how, I decided to wave the white flag of surrender. I told myself that I would eat what I wanted when I wanted -- even gain 100 pounds if need be -- and then go back on my strict diet once I returned home to the United States. For the time being, I decided, I would quit fighting with food...It was one of the best things that ever happened to me...Yes, I ate whatever I wanted and stopped when I was full. I no longer felt compelled to sneak treats or gorge on forbidden foods because I knew I could have them anytime I wanted...I didn't gain 100 pounds and I didn't lose control. In fact, within days of calling this truce with food, my pants started feeling looser. Miraculously, though I was eating "normally," my body didn't balloon to gargantuan proportions. Quite the opposite, my body delighted in regular foods, eaten at predictable intervals. Slowly, my preoccupation with portion sizes and calorie counts fell by the wayside, and I started to enjoy food without guilt or remorse for the first time in a very long time.
Some of her habits are contrary to No-S, but overall what she experienced is very similar to No-S. She quotes Evelyn Tribole, author of Intuitive Eating, who says, "this is not a quick-fix approach, but it will help you make peace with food and stop dieting once and for all."
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

clicklbd

Post by clicklbd » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:06 pm

Hi, Wosnes. It might have been me, because I like Clean Eating. It can have a diety feeling, but they do talk a lot about how being on a diet is more likely to make you fat. And while the philosophy is to eat super healthy whole foods pretty much all the time (I'm working on balance), I do like the recipes a lot. The issue you got has a great pumpkin pie oatmeal recipe. I love pumpkin, and I did this recipe with steel cut oats. It turned out very yummy.

I also like Eating Well. The reason I like these magazines is that they give me ideas for doable recipes that usually have ingredients that are in my house or are easily obtainable. And the recipes are usually pretty yummy.

The article you mentioned is good, I think.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:59 pm

Is Clean Eating the magazine edited? produced? by Tosca Reno (sp?) the lady connected with Oxygen magazine? I LOVE LOVE LOVE Oxygen Magazine and am planning to do a blog entry on it in the near future, it is one of my healthy "tools"

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:33 pm

Blueskigh -- I don't see that they're affiliated with Oxygen or Tosca Reno.

I used to read a lot of food magazines, but about a year ago realized that the only one I consistently cooked from was Everyday Food. That's now the only one I get regularly, though I do get recipes from blogs and a few web sites.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

clicklbd

Post by clicklbd » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:40 pm

blueskighs wrote:Is Clean Eating the magazine edited? produced? by Tosca Reno (sp?) the lady connected with Oxygen magazine? I LOVE LOVE LOVE Oxygen Magazine and am planning to do a blog entry on it in the near future, it is one of my healthy "tools"
Blueskighs, I don't know if it's affiliated with Oxygen, but definitely with Tosca. There is a column called "ask Tosca."

It used to be a quarterly publication, but I understand that it's coming out six times a year now. I think you are a vegetarian (did I dream that?) and they do have modifications to make recipes vegetarian.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:31 am

The current issue is issue #5. Here's where you can buy back issues:
http://shopmusclemag.com/category.asp?catcode=178

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:57 pm

clickbld,

I was vegan for two years, then moved to vegetarian, now I am a "fish eater" too .... :)

so this is the Clean Eating magazine I was thinking of, I mean to check it out but have not got around to it. I have that book, "clean eating" is pretty much how i have approached food for years, the difference with me is i am really generous with good fats and of course i don't eat 6 meals a day, but the "concept" of "clean eating" is really invaluable IMHO,

anyway i pretty much "unconsciously" do "clean eating" on N Days and then treat it up on S and NWS ... which is not to say I don't ever have stuff on N Days, just what i prefer for my lifestyle as this approach keeps me feeling energetic and happy,

Blueskighs

clicklbd

Post by clicklbd » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:17 pm

One of my eating hangups is eating healthy, meaning I can get obsessed with it. I once had a nutritionist tell me to eat a candybar once in a while. (Last week, a PA told me to have more wine. lol)

So I try to balance out eating healthily with junky stuff. I try to feed my family pretty well, but now instead of worrying about the nutrition, I worry about variety and making stuff from scratch. Then when we eat out, I don't worry too much about how healthy it is, and just eat what I like!

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:35 pm

I once had a nutritionist tell me to eat a candybar once in a while.
clicklbd,

that is so funny! I can relate, that is why i absolutely LOVE S days .... they are the ONLY thing that have been able to keep me from swinging from puritinacal self righteous clean eating to ravenous out of control junk food binging ... cause let's face it, it wasn' just "clean eating" that got me to where I am today, S days have helped me accept that I too, really do want that candy bar, Caramel Macchiato, mini peanut butter cup, or nice sized slice of homemade blueberry pie on occasion! or at least EVERY WEEKEND ...hahhahahahha

Blueskighs

clicklbd

Post by clicklbd » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:37 pm

blueskighs wrote:they are the ONLY thing that have been able to keep me from swinging from puritinacal self righteous clean eating to ravenous out of control junk food binging ... cause let's face it, it wasn' just "clean eating" that got me to where I am today,
You nailed it. Although to be frank, snacking got me here more than junk food. Eating too much healthy stuff isn't any better for you!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:42 pm

blueskighs wrote: S days have helped me accept that I too, really do want that candy bar, Caramel Macchiato, mini peanut butter cup, or nice sized slice of homemade blueberry pie on occasion! or at least EVERY WEEKEND ...hahhahahahha

Blueskighs
Hahahahah!! :wink:
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:49 pm

clicklbd wrote:
blueskighs wrote:they are the ONLY thing that have been able to keep me from swinging from puritinacal self righteous clean eating to ravenous out of control junk food binging ... cause let's face it, it wasn' just "clean eating" that got me to where I am today,
You nailed it. Although to be frank, snacking got me here more than junk food. Eating too much healthy stuff isn't any better for you!
That reminds me of something my mil was told by her doctor: "Even apples have calories." Of course, not as many as candy bars, cookies, cakes, pies....

Tulsa

Post by Tulsa » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:04 am

I think it's one of the better "food" mags out there. I think it'd published by the same publisher as Oxygen but I could be mistaken. Tosca Reno definitely walks the walk and she is someone to take seriously. It's a good publication.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:57 am

clicklbd wrote:One of my eating hangups is eating healthy, meaning I can get obsessed with it. I once had a nutritionist tell me to eat a candybar once in a while. (Last week, a PA told me to have more wine. lol)
I've been studying food/diet on my own for about 15 years. Just recently, I got to the point that if I see the word "healthy" associated with diet, food, recipes -- I can't stand it. It's not that I don't want to eat healthy foods, it's that there's entirely too much emphasis on it.

When I started studying the traditional diets, I realized that historically, all of those people have consumed healthy diets, but it wasn't the focus of their cooking. They just ate what was available to them: mostly locally grown, real foods and very little in the way of processed foods. All were cooked in ways that made them tasty and appealing. Most food imports/exports (until recently) and the foods most purchased were coffee, tea, spices, salt and sugar. Until about the 1930s, even most city dwellers in the U.S. ate food that was produced locally -- very little was transported across the country, let alone from around the world.

One article said that the people didn't worry about whether or not their diet was healthy; they knew it was. I'm not sure they even knew their diet was healthy -- they knew they were healthy and had enough food. Most problems with food in the past has been issues of having enough or with food spoilage. In the past most issues with poor health have been due to poor public health practices, infections and trauma -- nothing to do with the diet. People have flourished even when there was a limited variety of food as long as there was enough food -- and it was REAL food, not refined and processed foods.

If we eat real food, even a limited variety, we'll be healthy.

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:45 pm

I completely agree with Wosnes--most cultures do not define their idea of "healthy eating" by "scientific" American standards. We live in South Eastern Europe--the Balkans--and people in the villages live to be old, old people for the most part if they made it past childhood and did not take up smoking. Their diet was/is very simple--lots of potatoes, bread, corn (mainly in the form of cornmeal), cabbage, onions, boiled and then roasted meat (but they take smallish servings by American standards), smoked meats in the winter, fresh veggies in summer, pickled veggies in winter, eggs, nuts (gathered in season), herbal teas (gathered in the mountains), and yogurt. They love sugar, cannot afford butter, but use oil (and salt) prodigiously.

Various "health" tonics include: eating honey by the coffee cup, super sweet fruit preserves by the teaspoonful followed by a glass of water (just about anything can be preserved if you use 70% sugar and they do), kajmak (a fermented butter that can be quite good if mild, an acquired taste if aged!).

At one village, our meal was mainly potatoes, cornmeal, oil, kajmak, and fruit in various forms--cornbread with kajmak, cornmeal mush with potatoes, oil, and kajmak, and honey on the side to drizzle over, pickled veggies, and fresh fruit.

I often think the "scientific" approach robs us (the American people) of our commonsense....
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:20 pm

vmsurbat wrote: I often think the "scientific" approach robs us (the American people) of our commonsense....
Well, the "scientific" approach along with the food industry.