Observation on my urge to snack today--emotional eating

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Nay

Observation on my urge to snack today--emotional eating

Post by Nay » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:00 am

Usually you'd think emotional eating was worst when you are depressed, sad, unhappy, bored, etc., but today I had an overwhelming urge to snack and eat all day. This election, which I have been waiting for for 8 years, has me all nervous and excited at the same time, and it has obviously generated an urge to eat, too!

I have had to be almost cruel to myself to get a green block today--I have treated myself to a more 'snacky' dinner than usual (cheese sandwich, whole grain corn chips, yogurt) and I also have allowed myself a couple of drinks -- Kahlua and 2% milk -- to keep me on an even keel. I was just flabbergasted at how just a feeling of excitement and anticipation could result in an urge to eat; what's up with that??

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:14 am

What's wrong with celebrating an event for which you waited 8 years? A definite S Day!

la_loser

S for "Selebration!"

Post by la_loser » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:40 am

Exactly what I was thinking. And it should be no surprise really that we do get the urge to snack, etc. when we are excited. . . and when it is a celebration and/or something that has been long awaited--certainly that does qualify as an "S" day.

Also, it goes back to our old "habits." What have we always done when something unusual, out of the ordinary, happens--we eat!

Actually no matter how the election turns out, today is history in the making. On July 4 Reinhard encouraged us to celebrate as our patriotic duty and although this is coming on the heels of his declaration that Halloween was a definite "S" day, it seems to me that this qualifies too!

It may be that this call (S or not?) might be indeed a individual one-perhaps not everyone is as keyed up as you (or I) for this night. Honestly for every presidential election I can remember -- and that goes back to Kennedy when I was just a mere child!--the whole spectacle and energy about a night like this has always grabbed my attention, no matter my politics!

I do know however that we have to careful along the way (and I'm guessing in November and December especially) not to claim too many S days. The key is to make today and "S" day perhaps but not an "S" week!

Accordingly, Thanksgiving Day is an "S"--but not the Friday after. . .etc.

By the way, I like your idea of a little Kahlua with your milk. Maybe a little coffee and Bailey's might be calling me. (Borderline--but with coffee I'll say it's ok--if I added it to ice cream--no way!)
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

Nay

I would have made it an S day, but with Halloween &

Post by Nay » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:52 am

grandbaby's birthday and election last week and this week, well, hell, I'd have no green days and, as you say, we're heading into the dangerous time of year anyway. So, I didn't want to make this an S day, tho I can see how it would qualify...

bizzybee

Post by bizzybee » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:47 pm

I took it as an S-day. I was canvassing and making calls and trying to parent at the same time (kids had day off) and we ate when food was available and drank through the returns.

I know that on Holidays my issue is not the "meal" but the excited snacking and extra slices of whatever that I NEED. Thanksgiving dinner is usually one plate of food. But Thanksgiving day is nuts and homemade candy and alcohol... and its about being excited and happy. I love to eat with others.