Two new "S"s for me

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

BeingGreen

Two new "S"s for me

Post by BeingGreen » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:14 pm

Last Sunday was my second very difficult Sunday in a row. I did a lot of "soul searching" to figure out a plan of attack for the future. I really like what I came up with. I've added two "No S"s the basic no snacks, no sweets, no seconds.

First, no Sneaking. This was not a problem on N days, but I found that because No S gave me "permission" to eat whatever I wanted on S days, I was "sneaking" a few extra bites all day long just because I was "allowed." This would not necessarily be a problem on No S, but for me, it was a HUGE trigger. So now, if I don't feel comfortable eating it in front of my kids or husband, I considered that "sneaking." I have predissaproved myself for that kind of eating, and SO FAR, SO GOOD :D

Second, no Stockpiling (i.e., the pantry or freezer). I found that because I knew I would be able to have whatever I might fancy on S days, I was totally stocking up on indulgences at the grocery store to save for S days. This again would not necessarily be a problem on the No S Diet, because I am able to ignore them on N days, but I found myself overwhelmed with having to choose among them on my S days. This, combined with the above mentioned sneaking, was turning into a big problem on Sundays. So at my first trip to the grocery store earlier this week, armed with my No Stockpiling rule, I repeated it to myself several times when I was tempted. It worked wonders!!!

The added structure of these two new "S" is just what I needed right now--especially heading into the holidays.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:53 am

Habitualrunner,

I actually think those are pretty "helpful" S's ... I use no sneaking as a guideline too...
also I have found that if I too get TOO MUCH of the treats in the house sometimes I get a little crazy ...
I actually over time have started to "plan" minimal treats. I found that if I "plan" too much sweet I feel somehow "obligated" to eat them all, so I find that if I plan just one or two THEN if I want more its ok, but it really helps.

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

alanajuliana

Post by alanajuliana » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:49 pm

It seems to me it would be much more satisfying to go out for coffee and a dessert with my dh on an S day than it would to be constantly nibbling on stale Halloween candy all weekend long.

For instance.

I like your extra S's and I will keep them in mind for myself, as well. I scare myself with how little self control I ACTUALLY possess.

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:12 pm

I love these! I definitely identify with the sneaking habit. I've been a sneaker all my life....what a great addition to the reminders...

Thanks!
janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:01 am

I was so happy to share my couple of ideas as I have learned so much from all of you!

This past weekend went so much better with this added structure. I agree with Blue that "less is more" when it comes to indulgences. If I buy too much, I feel (even if it's silly) "obligated" to eat it.

I'm off for my weekly grocery shopping tomorrow and I plan to live by my extra No S rules. Wish me luck!