The hurdles we jump - for incentive purposes

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:57 pm

I've read a ton of "studies" lately that support this:

The first 4 days are the hardest, so strive for that hurdle and when you get to 30 days, it's a habit!

Also, I've also been reading a lot about the fact that if you have a bad habit, that your brain is hard wired to do that and we need to erase the circuit's path. Every time you resist the urge to eat, you erase it a bit more. And that it makes it easier if you replace the bad habit with something similar, to rewire. For example... smelling a rose when you want to smoke (the hand to face action, the smelling, and breathing into the lungs). I snitch food a ton and last night I tried to substitute it with drinking tea while cooking supper and again this morning while making breakfast for the kids. It worked! I didn't even crave a snitch!!

Any more thoughts?
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

apomerantz

Post by apomerantz » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:12 pm

I have definitely heard of the concept of trading a good habit for a bad one being more effective than simply trying to STOP doing something. I hate to admit this, but I think I heard it on Dr. Phil?

At any rate, I'm a bit of a sneaky eater too . . .the tea is a great idea!

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:03 pm

Sometimes when watching television I rub handcream into my hands and nails, in order to avoid eating.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:41 pm

Actually, I heard that anything you do with your hands to keep them busy is a good idea..
Except open a bag of cheetos.. :wink:
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:42 am

Watching TV for me is a terrible trigger, so now I keep a basket of crocheting next to my chair and as I sit down I pick up what ever project I have going. No eating and I have something to show for my TV time.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

paulrone

Post by paulrone » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:17 pm

I'm a guy, so the idea of crocheting during the latest episode of "24" isn't too appealing. I'm open to suggestions, though.
-Sometimes Fundamentalist and self-appointed King of the S-day Moderates
"As it is (sometimes) written, so let it (sometimes) be done."

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:20 pm

hey Paulrone, I learned knitting from a guy! (A techie I work with, who is quite good, gave me a lesson on a lunch hour.) So don't be too quick to dismiss the fiber arts!

Of course, any other handiwork would work as well. What hobbies do you have, or might you be interested in starting?

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:32 pm

paulrone wrote:I'm a guy, so the idea of crocheting during the latest episode of "24" isn't too appealing. I'm open to suggestions, though.
Traditionally, sailors and fishermen used to knit.

paulrone

Re: The hurdles we jump - for incentive purposes

Post by paulrone » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:53 pm

Too solid flesh wrote:
paulrone wrote:I'm a guy, so the idea of crocheting during the latest episode of "24" isn't too appealing. I'm open to suggestions, though.
Nuh-uh!
I almost believed you :wink:
-Sometimes Fundamentalist and self-appointed King of the S-day Moderates
"As it is (sometimes) written, so let it (sometimes) be done."

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:57 am

My grandfather used to knit.

Perhaps doing a tapestry or rug making - my father did both.

My hubby is into trains and paints the figures by hand sitting infront of the TV.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:52 pm

Rosie Grier used to do needlepoint and macrame. In fact, he wrote about it, too.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Amyliz

Post by Amyliz » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:07 pm

I have a guy friend who is VERY into fly fishing, so during TV time while his wife is knitting, he makes his own flies or bait or whatever they're called. Its pretty funny to know a guy who LOVES to go to the craft store, but it's all about the fly fishing in the end.
Amyliz

START: 03/30/08 - 158- 161lbs range
Current: 145-148lbs range
On 12/22/09 I saw 145 on the scale for the first time in 7 years!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:00 pm

How bout a Rubick's Cube :wink:
ps.. My Son loves to sew :)
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:33 pm

paulrone wrote:
Too solid flesh wrote:
Nuh-uh!
It's true! See:

http://www.menwhoknit.com/community/?q=node/7242
In Scotland historically it was the fishermen that knitted, they knitted nets as well as Guernsey jumpers.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:09 pm

Too solid flesh wrote:
paulrone wrote:
Too solid flesh wrote:
Nuh-uh!
It's true! See:

http://www.menwhoknit.com/community/?q=node/7242
In Scotland historically it was the fishermen that knitted, they knitted nets as well as Guernsey jumpers.
Knitting Guilds used to be men's territory in the middle ages.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

maslowjenkins

Post by maslowjenkins » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:17 pm

I roll paper beads to keep my hands busy. When I have enough, I'll make necklaces out of them.
Carrie

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:17 pm

I do embroidery and counted cross-stitch, and they are very effective at keeping your hands busy.

If only it wasn't possible to read and eat at the same time, I would never have gained the weight in the first place!

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:21 pm

I have noticed that no one has mentioned playing musical instruments. It is impossible to eat and play at the same time. I enjoy playing the flute and my daughter is a cellist. When she was at home we would play duets some in the evenings. I play the piano a little bit, and I have used both flute and piano playing as a way to keep my fingers and mind busy and off of food.

I haven't felt the need to do that on NoS, however, because the snacking is just not an option. It was worse for me knowing that I could snack and save points or calories for that. Now I don't open and shut my refrigerator door and cabinet doors nearly so much looking for a "little something." The hinges are going to last a lot longer.

WouldYouEva

Post by WouldYouEva » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:03 am

Solitaire? Painting? or other artwork? Macrame?

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:51 pm

My (skinny) husband keeps a notebook where he does a sketch every night -- sometimes pencil, sometimes pen-and-ink, occasionally colored pencil or pastel. He's done it for years -- that certainly keeps your hands busy!

Or you could whittle. That's manly. :wink:

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:42 pm

I play with molten glass every evening. Making & selling beads is my part-time job & it definitely keeps me from snacking. Even if I COULD figure out how to eat around a 1800 degree flame, I might get little shards of glass in the food...NOT appetizing!

I love all these suggestions...keeping busy is a wonderful way not only to ignore food, but feel productive too...a bonus!

janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

bonnieUK

Post by bonnieUK » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:27 pm

Lately my (non snacker) husband has developed the habit of assembling IKEA furniture in our living room while watching TV. But obviously there is a finite limit to the amount of IKEA furniture one can buy!

If he's not doing that he might be assembling a toy airplane or playing with some gadget he's bought.

Being of a somewhat lazier temperament I usually have a book on hand to read and a cup hot water or herbal tea around.

I will also happily prepare food like packed lunches or salads for later use and not be tempted to eat any (provided it's after dinner time!).