S day discovery this weekend....

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

vmsurbat

S day discovery this weekend....

Post by vmsurbat » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:14 pm

I've been NoSing pretty successfully for a little over 7 months. By successfully, I mean that I have managed to stay (mostly) on habit and managed to lose a modest amount of weight.

However, like many others, I haven't been so satisfied with my S days--weekends, not special days. It seemed that every Sunday night I was going to bed feeling full and bloated, not sleeping well, waking up NOT hungry on Monday. (I've gotten to appreciate that "I am just hungry enough to really enjoy this next meal" feeling and didn't like missing it on Monday mornings). It didn't *seem* as though I was overdoing anything on my S days--no scarfing entire bags of chips or eating enormous quantities of food, and I was generally puzzled as to what I was doing "wrong" with my freedom on S days.

This weekend I had that "aha!" moment when I figured out what was contributing to my less-than-successful S days--I can't have seconds! I've gotten so that one reasonable plate truly satisfies me and when I reach for seconds, even a small amount (ie. one tiny cookie, spoonful of potatoes, etc.) tips the balance and I feel uncomfortably full. (And I am one who, preNoS, managed seconds and thirds of the things I liked most).

I put my idea into practice yesterday, enjoyed three great meals, a wonderful dessert, and then NO MORE. It was so refreshing to wake up today feeling ready for breakfast.

So, those Nday habits truly do start to influence S day behaviors--I am no longer going to be tempted by seconds "just because I can" because the consequences are *not* fun.

HTH
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:58 pm

Sounds like a great discovery! I discovered something similar recently -- that at MOST (not all) restaurants, half of what they give me is enough. Now my mom and I split a meal at restaurants when it's me and her - economical AND healthy! :)
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

belser

Post by belser » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:12 pm

Ohhhhh! This post was really timely for me! I've only been doing the no S for about a month. I love it but I find that my S days are still ...well let's just say I haven't worked out the moderation piece yet for S days. :roll:

I'm doing really great on my N days and I've enjoyed some weightloss already.

I've thought about adding a 'mod' of one sweet for each S day (since sweets are my thing) but I can't seem to make a new mod stick for S days since I already have the idea that they are *FREE* stuck in my head. Ya, I know...not good.

It's a good reminder that habits take time to change and that I will still be adjusting as I continue down this path.

maslowjenkins

Post by maslowjenkins » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:44 pm

Yes, good timing, as I have to work on this as well. I think I will try to stick to the principles better on the weekend because I am getting tired of feeling so awful on sunday nights and monday mornings. It's a relief to get back to monday.
It's like getting to do whatever you want and not really having fun anymore and ready for mom to get back and re-establish structure. I'm ready for that structure to follow me through the weekends now.
Carrie

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:47 pm

We bought a jar of caramel macademian clusters from Costco on Saturday morning, and they were gone by Sunday night -- 23 servings of 2 pieces eafch at 210 calories per serving -- somewhere around 5,000 calories. I'm convinced I'll eventually decide that I don't want to eat so much...

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:10 am

I have had some FABULOUS S days, and I don't regret them a bit! I have found, though, that it's hard for me to snack on weekends, even though I have free rein to do it, because I'm not really ready to eat between meals anymore. I'm still full from lunch up till dinnertime. The actual meals, however, can be quite ... generous!

brotherjohn

Post by brotherjohn » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:38 pm

Vicki,

I've kind of come to the same conclusion that you have reached. My S days are a lot more reasonable if I am sure to go ahead and eat my 3 plates of good food.

One Saturday I got up and wasn't hungry, and I thought, "Well, I think I'll just skip breakfast." About 11:00 AM, I started with one sweet that ended up being a perma-binge....

I think you've hit upon something important!
"Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand." --St. Paul

Read my free weekly devotional rural adventures at:

www.countrypreacherdad.com