Hi, new here, want to introduce myself!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Cassie

Hi, new here, want to introduce myself!

Post by Cassie » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:39 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm Cassie. I'm new to the no S diet... have started it this monday (so it's the 5th day) & am very hopeful about it. It makes complete sense, is easy to follow, easy to remember (I also hate those long lists of what to eat & what not to eat). And most of all, it doesn't cut out whole groups of food. So thanks to Reinhard for thinking about it; it's obvious, but I think it works (as long as you follow it of course).

A little about me. I'm 35, & I live in the UK. I had a baby 7 months ago. Since then- due to tiredness mostly- I haven't been able to shift those last pregnancy kilos. So I need to lose 3-4 kilos to get to my pre-pregnancy weight, & I can't seem to do it. I also have developed- again since the baby was born- a bad dessert habit. I.e. have been eating one dessert a day (at least: sometimes a muffin too). Doesn't help to shift the weight, even though I'm breastfeeding (which is supposed to help).

I had about 10-15 extra kilos on me pre-pregnancy, which means at the moment I'm about 20 kilos over what I would like to be. And when I say what I would like to be, I don't mean a skinny ideal. I mean something like size 10 or even size 12. At the moment I'm more like size 16 (UK sizes). I've -halfheartedly- tried various diets through the years, but the only thing that has consistently made me lose weight in the past was starting a new relationship & falling in love! Not likely now that I'm with my partner more than 6 years, & we have a baby too!! So I need to find another method...

Btw: next week I'm actually seeing a nutritionist too, for some real life support & advice. I'll tell her about this diet (or non-diet) that I'm following, & I will adjust whatever she tells me to the no-S diet. I suspect the no-snacking thing will be the hardest for her to accept, but I do think it's the most important part of the diet (at least for me).

Anyway. Sorry for the essay :) Just thought I'd say hello really, & see if anyone else is new & wanting to share this journey together.
Cassie

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:58 pm

Best of luck! Slowly work in exercise til your energy is up, or wait until after breast feeding? I would start with maybe 10 minute walks, though that's hard since it is winter... But I think this could work very well for you. And be gentle with yourself -- you've only had your baby 7 months ago! And you probably have a lot on your plate right now with a newborn.
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

Cassie

Post by Cassie » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:05 pm

Thanks Nichole for your encouragement.

True about the 'lots on my plate' bit :) The tiredness is unbelievable (lack of sleep is a killer). But it's also really enjoyable having a 7 month old... :D I probably could make sure to take 10' walks everyday; actually, I think I already do that- through taking the baby out for walks. Does that count? Could just concentrate on doing that everyday (but am not sure a leisurely walk counts as exercise...or does it?!)

Many thanks again.

MysteryLover

Post by MysteryLover » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:48 pm

Hi Cassie,

Welcome. I'm just started this week too. Wish I had the new baby excuse for my extra weight, but my kids are 11 and 13! It's sweets and snacking that did me in. I truly believe that small amounts of excercise done consistently is the key. I work out 15-20 minutes most days (even on the weekends). I know that I can keep that up for life. If I had to fit in 45 minutes of gruelly high-impact aerobics, I'd probably do that for a month (maybe) then quit. Plus the guilt of not keeping it up would make me binge and eat more junk. Nice to 'meet' you.
--Gina (a.k.a MysteryLover)
03/01/2017: 195.2
Current: 174.6
Goal: 145.0

noni

Post by noni » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:59 pm

I used to push a stroller in my neighborhood regularly when my children were young. It was my most grueling workout trying to keep the stroller on the right path what with all the potholes and the crown in the road. Shovelglove has nothing on the double stoller :)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:10 pm

Welcome Cassie and good luck!
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:20 pm

MysteryLover wrote:I work out 15-20 minutes most days (even on the weekends). I know that I can keep that up for life. If I had to fit in 45 minutes of gruelly high-impact aerobics, I'd probably do that for a month (maybe) then quit. Plus the guilt of not keeping it up would make me binge and eat more junk.
I so agree with you here. As much as I'd like to work out 45 minutes every time, sometimes life is just too busy. Plus, sometimes it's just not what you want to do when you're at home! 45 minutes is a big chunk of time when you're short on time.
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:22 pm

Welcome, Cassie!

Bring your nutritionist this article and she might have an easier time accepting "no snacks."

(See especially the table on page 101)

Reinhard

caroleann

Post by caroleann » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:59 pm

Welcome Cassie,

Good luck with no-sing and the new baby!

I have a question. Are you paying the nutritionist or is it paid for by insurance. In the case where you're paying for it, remember that you know what's good for you. You just have to think about it. I am not an expert but I suggest you follow the food pyramid. Eat plenty of fruits, veggies, whole grains, protein, dairy, limited good fats and finally no junk food. Don't forget, with breast feeding, you need lots of liquids! Your regular doctor or obgyn are a good resources for nutrition. I'm sure you're probably scheduled for a check up; ask them...this will kill 2 birds with one stone; you'll get the information and only pay once.

If you are paying, there's plenty of information out there! Buy a book, surf the web there's tons of information out there. Save your money to treat yourself to something you deserve. You'll find that, with children, you'll have VERY little time for yourself. My mom experience is twins and a daughter who was just 20 months older than her brothers when they were born. for the most part, I had triplets! Boy I was busy the minute they entered the world and thier feet hit the ground. It's been fun but I also put myself on the back burner until now. Love that baby but love and be good to and make time for yourself too. :lol: Good Luck, Caroleann
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!!!

The only way to achieve something important that has been out of your reach is to become more assertive. It'll take stong motivation on your part to bodly go where you need to go

Cassie

Post by Cassie » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:08 pm

Hi Caroleann,

Thanks for your message.

Yes, I do pay for her myself & we've agreed that I see her once a month. The only reason I'm happy to do it is not so much for the advice she's giving me (most of which I knew already, tbh) but because of the continuity & moral support that I need. I usually stop eating sensibly once I lose the first few kilos, which has led to quite a bit of yo-yo dieting in the past... so I really do need an actual physical person to spur me on, if you see what I mean.

The good news is that she is happy for me to keep doing the No-S diet. She's just given me some extra ideas about food choices, mainly up the protein & veg & the 'good' carbs. But she's also happy for me to be a bit flexible, and in any case I'm taking her advice with a grain of salt, & am relying more on her ongoing support.

caroleann

Post by caroleann » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:52 pm

Cassie,

I guess the moral support is something eveyone needs. I do go to a group myself. It's kind of a weight loss competition. The leader gives us all kinds of nutrition and weight loss information to read and then we discuss it at our meetings. :D
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!!!

The only way to achieve something important that has been out of your reach is to become more assertive. It'll take stong motivation on your part to bodly go where you need to go