a visual motivator

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

~reneew

a visual motivator

Post by ~reneew » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:44 pm

I've just recently put together a little photo album to give myself an uplift when I need it. I put in pictures of myself when I was thin and looked great, one that I felt good about recently (there was only one!) and some magazine pictures of women that look kinda like me. It's a great incentive and self-esteem boost for those of us lacking right now. It's a sort of visual goal. Any other visual motivators? (no mirrors please!)
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

dockanz

Post by dockanz » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:33 pm

What about setting aside an outfit in a size you hope to get into. (I can't believe I just wrote that as a man).
Make the Better Choice

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:02 pm

Yeah, that reminds me ... the other day it was mighty hot here so I needed to wear shorts to do my CYCLING outside ... I put on shorts that used to be really tight and now they are actually quite loose, I have to tie them up !
That felt pretty good.

I like that when I am putting on some of my older clothes now everything fits better than ever .... I have a lot of clothes I can put on now, more variety since I am not restricted to only a few things that were xxx-large.

When she lost some weight, my sister used to look often at her pictures, as a motivator.
I don't do that much but I have a few pictures gathered already for when I post my before and after pictures around nov. 1st ...

Also as a motivator, I notice that when I go up some stairs I am not out of breath anymore ... I used to be out of breath easily just going up a couple of flights of stairs ... now I don't even notice 'em anymore .... so I like going up the stairs as well, I'm not using the elevator ...

Marc ;-)
Last edited by bluebunny27 on Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:02 pm

For me, comparing to other women or myself when I was thinner just makes me feel bad. A good visual motivator for me is something that makes me feel attractive -- whether it's a manicure or a new pair of earrings in a color that looks good on me.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:09 pm

I already replied to this in my check in, where you also wrote this, but usually old pictures make me feel worse that I have gained weight in the first place... Plus I usually focus on my face, which hasn't changed much.

I know people who used to hang pictures of Britney Spears circa 2002 as a motivator... That's extreme to me because I know I'll never look like that.
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:58 pm

I only put in photos of goal pictures that are realistic for me. Forget Britney!

I like the idea of finding an outfit to visualize...though the guys wouldn't probably do the little black dress thing... HA

Also, we should all probably toss the clothes in our closets that don't make us feel good. For me, I could clothe 20 people!! I think I'll start going through and donating...
:wink:
Please pray for me

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:02 pm

marcdesbiens wrote: Also as a motivator, I notice that when I go up some stairs I am not out of breath anymore ... I used to be out of breath easily just going up a couple of flights of stairs ... now I don't even notice 'em anymore .... so I like going up the stairs as well, I'm not using the elevator ...

Marc ;-)
Yay!!!
That's great!!!

I feel these are the really great motivators..
Stuff you can really feel good about and which have nothing to do with comparing yourself to others.. Just the positive changes you make along your journey, no matter what they are, but especially if they are gonna really improve your quality of life. :wink:

ps.. Rene, you should put a written message to yourself on all your mirrors which says "You are a beautiful person. I love you"....
8) Debs x
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:07 pm

Debs... great idea :!: , but...I have 4 kids, the 2 oldest being teens, and they would all laugh continually at me (we're quite a joking family) and I'd never live that one down! Awesome plan for those not in a big family!
I used to get their support and gentle reminders, but now they pass temptations in front of my face for fun. I remind them that I buy the groceries around here and I'll go on junk food strike if they keep it up. They know I'm serious.
Side note: I went on mowing strike 2 years ago when my hubbie said (over and over) that I wasn't getting close enough to the trees. I quit with 3 months of grass to go. I no longer pack his lunch either :wink:
Please pray for me

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:40 pm

~reneew wrote:
I used to get their support and gentle reminders, but now they pass temptations in front of my face for fun. I remind them that I buy the groceries around here and I'll go on junk food strike if they keep it up. They know I'm serious.
Side note: I went on mowing strike 2 years ago when my hubbie said (over and over) that I wasn't getting close enough to the trees. I quit with 3 months of grass to go. I no longer pack his lunch either :wink:
ROFL! You have the same rule in your family that we have: if you don't like how it's done, feel free to step up and do it yourself or get it taken care of. (That's not to say we don't accept feedback, just that it's no fair being a Monday-morning quarterback. If the work is delegated, it's delegated.)

That did mean I had to decide how fussy I wanted to be about some things - did I want them done "right" or did I want regular assistance? Ditto for my husband.

Not a bad rule, overall.

noni

Post by noni » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:50 pm

Motivator? No more heartburn that hurt so much it made me nauseous.

Also when people walk by me in close quarters they don't take half my butt with them :oops:

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:54 pm

I agree that trying on clothes that you felt good in (when they weren't so snug) is a great motivator.

And feeling your thighs rub together a bit, a great motivator (to lose ten pounds, that is)

:P