Gum?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Heatherann

Gum?

Post by Heatherann » Wed May 06, 2009 9:13 pm

I am getting hungry around 3-4 PM. Water just isn't cutting it, is it okay to have a piece of sugar free gum to get me through the afternoon? Someething about the mint flavor and chewing just keeps me distracted?
~ Heather

la_loser

Gum--not an issue and some other ideas!

Post by la_loser » Wed May 06, 2009 11:03 pm

Oh my goodness-of course gum is ok--although you will probably have some responses from someone who will claim that one TicTac equals a red day :lol:

My understanding is that the spirit and the rules of No S do not prohibit gum. I sometimes put one of those Listerine breath strips (the really "spicy" cinnamon ones) in my mouth at the end of a meal.

Remember that No S does not prohibit beverages between meals. . . such as real juice or milk -- anything but sugary pop type drinks. (Yeah, that milkshake is out of the question!) So it might be that you could have a nice glass of OJ or other juice or a glass of milk and it will tide you over. The thinking is that it is not a "snack" and you won't likely be tempted to drink a quart of milk!

Check out the part of the NO S homepage that talks about how important it is not to "micromanage" yourself. I realize that when people are just starting, there are lots of questions and that's great--but be assured, the No Sers who have found sustainable success don't sweat the small stuff (unless of course it's small seconds or small snacks or small sweets!) But really -- I'd say that gum is negligible and is A-OK. Maybe if you were chewing 10 pieces of Dubble Bubble every single minute, that might be different!

Lots of people have liked my H2Orange suggestion--really tasty and refreshing.
http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic ... ght=#43079
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed May 06, 2009 11:56 pm

Hi Heatherann,
I'd say chew your gum if it helps, but someone once mentioned to me that when you are chewing, it's preparing yourself for digestion and so hmmm, not sure if this will help, or make your hunger worse...
It's certainly fine as far as the "No sweets, and no snacks" rules..
But I agree with LA that having adequate liquid is really important.
I'd almost suggest having a big cup of tea instead, as it's hydrating and helps you stay full as well, and gets you out of "chewing=eating" mode, unless it's time to eat.
Whatever works for you. :)
Good luck!
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Heatherann

Post by Heatherann » Thu May 07, 2009 12:45 am

I have always been a gum chewer even in my super thin days. I have been drinking adequate liquids just miss something being in my mouth. I typically only have 1-2 pieces a day but chew on them for a long time. I find it better than grinding my teeth which I tend to do when I am stressed. Thanks for the suggestions too!
~ Heather