More than 21 days....

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

kccc

More than 21 days....

Post by kccc » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:17 pm

A short article on habit change. The comments are also good.

http://www.happiness-project.com/happin ... -days.html

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:52 pm

Interesting - some good comments as well. I keep thinking of the one that said s/he has been able to create a good habit in 21 days, but found it takes much longer to change a bad habit. I'd never thought if it that way.

Starla

Post by Starla » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:04 pm

Thanks - that was interesting. I agree with the commenters who said habits that are important to ME, not to someone else, are the easiest to form. This article should be encouraging to people who are struggling getting to 21 days with No S and those who find there isn't anything magic about 21 days.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:02 am

That is interesting...

As is the history of the magic "21" given in one of the links:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... 8-day-rule

Any interest in starting a 66 day club? :-)

The habitcal is a good way to give yourself an immediate and longer term motivational structure. There's no "you're done." And a single failure doesn't derail the whole project.

(Oliver Burkeman also did a write up on everyday systems a while back)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... .features4

Reinhard

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:52 am

This is what stood out to me:

"The way round this, says Newby-Clark and others, is to see that habits are responses to needs. This sounds obvious, but countless efforts at habit change ignore its implications. If you eat badly, you might resolve to start eating well, but if you're eating burgers and ice-cream to feel comforted, relaxed and happy, trying to replace them with broccoli and carrot juice is like dealing with a leaky bathroom tap by repainting the kitchen. What's required isn't a better diet, but an alternative way to feel comforted and relaxed. "

I've recognized this before, but not quite as directly. I think part of the reason no S is coming pretty effortlessly (after 15 days, LOL) is that over the past several months I've built up my social network and distanced myself/set up more firm boundaries from difficult relationships.

I definitely see myself as part of the 66 club or maybe the 100 club, not the 21 club.
Girl Next Door
"Don't I know you from somewhere?"

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141